How to clear condensation from gas meter?

Found 23rd Jan 2015
I've been trying to take a reading for days but the plastic housing has condensation on it so I can't see the numbers. Is there something around the house I could use to clear it?
Community Updates
Ask
29 Comments
Drill a hole to get some air in and out

Comment

Otto.uk

I'd rather not for two reason. It's not my property and it's very flammable that gas tha knows.
I suggest you call national grid to look at it. You shouldnt do anything to the gas meter. They are a free service and will come look at the problem or get advice from them.
0845 835 1111
Otto.uk

Thats why i advise u get expert advise then from idiots on here
I suggest you go with the above as well. Or failing that just ring your gas supplier and tell them you cant get a reading as its become obsured, they will send someout to have a look at it.
hair dryer underneath should clear it temporarily
Just rang my supplier and they can't get anyone out until 20th of feb and I'm starting with a new supplier on the 2nd of feb.
Said I could phone transco and see what they say.
Pfft
chocci

hair dryer underneath should clear it temporarily

This ^^^

Or hold a hot water bottle over it.
Otto.uk

DON'T do this, you would be an idiot if you did. What do you think the gas supplier would think when they found out, its potentially very dangerous and they will think you have been illegally abstracting gas.
I saw a video on Facebook where someone filled a sock with cat litter and left it in the car to prevent the windscreen getting condensation on it. I was hoping for something similar with my gas meter. But not using litter as don't have a cat.
joxeruk2000

I saw a video on Facebook where someone filled a sock with cat litter and … I saw a video on Facebook where someone filled a sock with cat litter and left it in the car to prevent the windscreen getting condensation on it. I was hoping for something similar with my gas meter. But not using litter as don't have a cat.

You don't have to own a cat in order to buy cat litter .. X)

I doubt that it would work in any case.
joxeruk2000

I saw a video on Facebook where someone filled a sock with cat litter and … I saw a video on Facebook where someone filled a sock with cat litter and left it in the car to prevent the windscreen getting condensation on it. I was hoping for something similar with my gas meter. But not using litter as don't have a cat.

Or just buy a damp trap
I don't want it to cost me anything.
Hot water bottle, hair dryer, lock a cat in the cupboard for a few days. Hair drying is probably your quickest and easier option. Obviously, don't take a hair dryer outside if it's raining.

Edit: The aim being to warm the 'window' up enough to evaporate the condensation. You still need this looking at as it shouldn't be like this. The meter will probably want changing, saying that, a rusted up meter will probably make your gas cheaper.

Edited by: "Tony68k" 23rd Jan 2015
Get a smart meters installed, no need to worry about readings anymore.
webtrawler

What's that?
joxeruk2000

Just rang my supplier and they can't get anyone out until 20th of feb and … Just rang my supplier and they can't get anyone out until 20th of feb and I'm starting with a new supplier on the 2nd of feb. Said I could phone transco and see what they say. Pfft

Hi, can you tell me why are you pffting at phoning Transco? It is them that are in charge of meters across the UK. Your supplier isn't responsible for your meter's physical condition, you and Transco are. They will investigate and replace your meter if necessary. Why do you think that having your supplier send someone out is a better idea, since they won't be allowed to do anything to it?
webtrawler

No Thanks;

stopsmartmeters.org.uk/
therealslimkaty

Hi, can you tell me why are you pffting at phoning Transco? It is them … Hi, can you tell me why are you pffting at phoning Transco? It is them that are in charge of meters across the UK. Your supplier isn't responsible for your meter's physical condition, you and Transco are. They will investigate and replace your meter if necessary. Why do you think that having your supplier send someone out is a better idea, since they won't be allowed to do anything to it?

Do you work in energy? You seem to have taken great offence. I have 2 babies to look after and the timing of the phone call has to be just so. Pfft
Heat it up using a blowtorch.
joxeruk2000

Do you work in energy? You seem to have taken great offence. I have 2 … Do you work in energy? You seem to have taken great offence. I have 2 babies to look after and the timing of the phone call has to be just so. Pfft

No, I don't work in energy, where did I take offence, please show me? Transco are the people who will sort out your meter and give you the correct information as you were told, so your pfft makes no sense at all. Transco are open most of the time so I don't see what having two babies to look after has to do with anything. Anyway, you have been told the correct information more than once, it's now your decision whether or not to follow it and solve your problem, or turn a molehill into a mountain and insult HUKD members.
Edited by: "therealslimkaty" 23rd Jan 2015
joxeruk2000

I don't want it to cost me anything.

Use next doors then. oO
therealslimkaty

No, I don't work in energy, where did I take offence, please show me? … No, I don't work in energy, where did I take offence, please show me? Transco are the people who will sort out your meter and give you the correct information as you were told, so your pfft makes no sense at all. Transco are open most of the time so I don't see what having two babies to look after has to do with anything. Anyway, you have been told the correct information more than once, it's now your decision whether or not to follow it and solve your problem, or turn a molehill into a mountain and insult HUKD members.

Well said, it seems the OP does not really want any help.
Inactive

Well said, it seems the OP does not really want any help.

Thank you Yes it appears that way.

Comment

therealslimkaty

No, I don't work in energy, where did I take offence, please show me? … No, I don't work in energy, where did I take offence, please show me? Transco are the people who will sort out your meter and give you the correct information as you were told, so your pfft makes no sense at all. Transco are open most of the time so I don't see what having two babies to look after has to do with anything. Anyway, you have been told the correct information more than once, it's now your decision whether or not to follow it and solve your problem, or turn a molehill into a mountain and insult HUKD members.

Where's the insult?
You have replied to this about 5 hours since the last comment so your jumping the gun a bit aren't you. It's getting sorted. Thank you
Did the hair dryer fix it then?
chocci

Did the hair dryer fix it then?

I doubt it, it would have cost a few pence to use it.(_;)
Inactive

I doubt it, it would have cost a few pence to use it.(_;)

not to mention two minutes of effort
chocci

not to mention two minutes of effort

You are forgetting the cost of babysitters.. X)
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants