How to completely turn off a Wii U gamepad?

Found 5th Jan
This is driving me nuts! I full charge the gamepad, use it for half an hour, then turn it off. Next time I come to use it, maybe a week later, the battery is dead!

I hold down the power button on the gamepad to turn off the console. Is this right?

Thanks
Community Updates
AskGaming
7 Comments
I believe the Wii U gamepad has a feature that has its sensor stay active and if the console powers up the tablet turns on automatically. So would need some sort of wireless receiver being active to receive the signal. That'll cause a power drain.

Plus the tablet doesn't have the longest battery life from what I remember.

Loads of posts on other forums asking the same question. So I would go with my theory above.
While this doesn't directly address your question, is leaving it in its charging cradle an option?
It might be that your battery is on the fritz. I offloaded my Wii U a while back, but I'm pretty sure that Nintendo used to offer a replacement battery with a much higher capacity
Original Poster
I don't think the battery is the problem as it lasts for ages when using it. I just wanted to completely turn it off, but I'm thinking it stays on in the background.
Does the console turn off or go into standby ?
Original Poster
jco8326 m ago

Does the console turn off or go into standby ?

Goes into standby. I hold down the power button on the gamepad when I've finished playing which turns everything off.. supposedly.
superfreddy2 h, 39 m ago

Goes into standby. I hold down the power button on the gamepad when I've …Goes into standby. I hold down the power button on the gamepad when I've finished playing which turns everything off.. supposedly.

Have you tried keeping the button held longer to see if that turns the console completely off.
If not, doing so with the button on the console should.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants