Expired

How to connect a soundbar to a TV?

Found 28th May 2014
I recently purchased the Polaroid 50" TV deal from ASDA. I also purchased a Soundbar to go with it.

direct.asda.com/Pol…tml

amazon.co.uk/Goo…O8W

The soundbar arrived with a cable to connect to the TV which has White and Red connectors. The TV however only has a Yellow input.

The TV did arrive with a cable that splits from a single yellow input to female Yellow, Red and White.

I tried putting the cable from the soundbar into this and then connect it to the TV but still couldn't get it to work. I even tried connecting the yellow male end into the headphone output but still no luck.

Can anyone help please!

It came with a regular 3.5mm cable that I can plug to the 'line in' on the soundbar to the TV and it works but then it isn't Stereo.

1. Ask
  2. Soundbar
5 Comments

Goodmans GDSB04BT50 Manual

Page 3 states "line in" is for external device like mp3 player etc which will be stereo or mono depending on the source therefore either the 3.5mm jack cable is not stereo or the ext source output (your tv 3.5mm jack out) is not stereo

Can you check the cable in another device to confirm stereo?

Are you sure you connected the 3.5mm jack to the correct output on the tv? (if like most systems nowadays it should be green)

Original Poster

philphil61

Goodmans GDSB04BT50 ManualPage 3 states "line in" is for external device … Goodmans GDSB04BT50 ManualPage 3 states "line in" is for external device like mp3 player etc which will be stereo or mono depending on the source therefore either the 3.5mm jack cable is not stereo or the ext source output (your tv 3.5mm jack out) is not stereoCan you check the cable in another device to confirm stereo? Are you sure you connected the 3.5mm jack to the correct output on the tv? (if like most systems nowadays it should be green)

It is working through the 3.5mm jack and it's connected to the headphone output on the TV. Both left and right speakers are outputting sound but doesn't sound surround like. Will the subwoofer still work through the 3.5mm jack?

Is the Red and White cable just supplied for really old TV's?

EDIT: When adjusting the volume the green light on the soundbar flickers to confirm that the command has been recieved, this isn't occuring when i try adjust the bass/treble with no change to their levels.
Edited by: "SixFeet" 28th May 2014

The red and white are for audio (yellow for video)

It's not a true surround sound like you'd get from a real 5.1 or 7.1 surround system - just like surround sound headphones they attempt (by using enhanced digital technology) to make your ears believe it's surround!

Not ever having wanted a sound bar or ever thinking of testing one I cannot comment further on what you should be hearing but guess from other reviews and site info - unless you pay big money for a decent soundbar you get what you pay for! And if you are going to pay big money for a "surround sound effect" why not just buy a surround sound system?

As I said I cannot make a reasonable comment as having never heard one in use - I have my tv audio out connected to a surround sound system for when I want to "feel" the benefit of the audio (movies/concerts etc)... hope that explains

Edited by: "philphil61" 28th May 2014

hi you wont be able to connect soundbar to tv this way. you will need an optical lead from soundbar to tv

check for optical(toslink) or coax outputs
obv check if your TV has the input
most new ones have
Post a comment
@
    Text