Groups

How to cook Chicken Curry

Hello every1, howz ur weekend going......, im having few beers..,
    want to cook chicken curry thou.., please, help me
    got all masala's n stuff but never managed to cook good curry,

many thanks in advance,

43 Comments

Secret to a good curry is to make it either the night before or in the morning-the longer the chicken stays in the sauce,the better. Easy enough to cut the chicken into bite size pieces,stir fry and then add a jar of masala sauce with some chopped onion,but making it and eating immediately isnt the best tbh.

Banned

Don't do it :cry:

Original Poster

DLM

Don't do it :cry:

Y

Banned

flp14344

Y

I have chickens as pets.

i agree with barky, best cook the day before and let the chicken absorbe the flavours/sauce!
    not much help i know if having it tonight , so why not have something else tonight and cook curry ready for tomorrow night

Original Poster

DLM

I have chickens as pets.

organic then (_;)

Banned

flp14344

organic then (_;)

Prawns and i will still like you

best way to cook a curry is to use all fresh ingredients, bay leaves, mustard seeds, fresh coriander, curry powder, garamasala etc..
    mmmm, making me hungary!

JO-JO

best way to cook a curry is to use all fresh ingredients, bay leaves, … best way to cook a curry is to use all fresh ingredients, bay leaves, mustard seeds, fresh coriander, curry powder, garamasala etc..mmmm, making me hungary!

Nope best way to cook a curry is using tesco value curry sauce and one of DLM's chickens!

DLM

Y [/quote]I have chickens as pets.

i think we all know by now dlm that you have chickens !!!..........good on you !

BUT, we arnt all gonna stop eating chicken because of it

Banned

shopstilldrops

i think we all know by now dlm that you have chickens !!!..........good … i think we all know by now dlm that you have chickens !!!..........good on you !BUT, we arnt all gonna stop eating chicken because of it

flp14344 didn't know ha ha!

I had a mushroom curry tonight from the chippy and it was lush

shopstilldrops

i agree with barky, best cook the day before and let the chicken absorbe … i agree with barky, best cook the day before and let the chicken absorbe the flavours/sauce!not much help i know if having it tonight , so why not have something else tonight and cook curry ready for tomorrow night

Glad Im not the only one who does this-I do the same with a bolognese/lasagne sauce-I know plenty people come home in the evening and knock up a bolognese in 15 minutes and the taste is NOTHING like making it the day before and letting all the tomato flavour get into the meat.

Original Poster

dh058977

Nope best way to cook a curry is using tesco value curry sauce and one of … Nope best way to cook a curry is using tesco value curry sauce and one of DLM's chickens!

http://img834.imageshack.us/img834/3718/poollll.jpg

Banned

barky

Glad Im not the only one who does this-I do the same with a … Glad Im not the only one who does this-I do the same with a bolognese/lasagne sauce-I know plenty people come home in the evening and knock up a bolognese in 15 minutes and the taste is NOTHING like making it the day before and letting all the tomato flavour get into the meat.

Do you eat duck barky?

barky1 person likes this

Glad Im not the only one who does this-I do the same with a … Glad Im not the only one who does this-I do the same with a bolognese/lasagne sauce-I know plenty people come home in the evening and knock up a bolognese in 15 minutes and the taste is NOTHING like making it the day before and letting all the tomato flavour get into the meat.

oh my, you must season yr meat the day before you cook it and eat it the day after you cook it, always do this when I cook meat especially west indian food

DLM

Do you eat duck barky?

Dont tell us . . . . . you've got ducks as well?!

dh058977

Dont tell us . . . . . you've got ducks as well?!

pmsl X) or even some hippopotomaus - we believe everything dont we lol (not!)

Banned

My stalker is back :cry:

MODS PLEASE DEAL WITH MY STALKER IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

DLM

I have chickens as pets.

Me too

I have several in the fridge and freezer.

DLM

My stalker is back :cry:MODS PLEASE DEAL WITH MY STALKER … My stalker is back :cry:MODS PLEASE DEAL WITH MY STALKER IMMEDIATELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

you have a stalker oO well they must have the easiest stalking job in the world in finding you - in front of your pc

lmao !!!!!!!!

We have ducks-dont eat them tho-just for the eggs. Was meant to be chickens,made the run and everything,mrs barky goes to the farm to get the chickens and comes back with ducks because "they were so much cuter" so uncle barky spent a sunday afternoon digging out a pond and cursing every single duck on the planet!

It is funny when they beat up the dalmation tho...........

Syzable

Me too :)I have several in the fridge and freezer.

Awww thats mean, i make sure mine are nice and warm . . . . . . in the oven!

Banned

barky

We have ducks-dont eat them tho-just for the eggs. Was meant to be … We have ducks-dont eat them tho-just for the eggs. Was meant to be chickens,made the run and everything,mrs barky goes to the farm to get the chickens and comes back with ducks because "they were so much cuter" so uncle barky spent a sunday afternoon digging out a pond and cursing every single duck on the planet!It is funny when they beat up the dalmation tho...........

One of my hens bit my step-mum's king charles spaniel's nose.

He won't go in my garden now X)

I willl have to log off soon!

Thanks for the lol's.

I can feel a shiver down my spine X)

there is only one place that can help you
    curry

Original Poster

Guess what guys, curry almost done..............., but disappointed http://img180.imageshack.us/img180/8135/lopkkjjjjjjjjj.jpg again!
    it don't taste good!!!!!!!!

Original Poster

Who's having beer......................, oO

flp14344

Who's having beer......................, oO

Meee !!..........bottoms up , as they say .....or CHEERS big ears ,X)

Banned

Proper Curry Gravy (what restaurant chefs use as the base stock)

CURRY SAUCE RECIPE – For approximately 8 servings

Prep & cooking time – 1hr 30m
    Stage 1 & 2
    2lb (900g) cooking onions
    2oz (50g) green ginger
    2oz (50g) garlic
    2.75 pt (1L 570ml) water
    1tsp salt
    Stage 3
    1 tin (9oz/225g) tomatoes
    8tblsp veg oil
    1tsp tomato puree
    1tsp turmeric
    1tsp paprika

Stage 1
    1. Peel & rinse onions, ginger & garlic.
    2. Slice onions and roughly chop ginger & garlic
    3. Blend ginger & garlic with 0.5pt (275ml) water
    4. Put blended ginger & garlic, the onions and remainder of water into large pan
    5. Add the salt and bring to the boil, then simmer on low with lid on for 40-45 minutes
    6. Leave to cool

Stage 2
    1. Once cooled, pour half the mixture into a blender and blend until absolutely smooth
    2. Pour blended mixture into a clean pan or bowl and repeat step 1 with the other half of the mixture
    3. Freezing recommended at this stage

Stage 3
    1. Blend tomatoes until smooth
    2. In a clean saucepan, put oil, tom puree, turmeric & paprika
    3. Add blended tomatoes and bring to the boil
    4. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally
    5. Now add the onion mixture and return to simmer
    6. Skim off froth that forms and keep simmering for another 20 minutes, removing froth and stirring occasionally
    7. Use immediately or cool & refrigerate for up to 4 days.

Banned

CHICKEN MADRAS
    Cook the chicken first as follows:-
    1 tbsp of veg oil per chicken breast
    0.2 tsp of turmeric per chicken breast
    1 tablespoon of RESERVED curry sauce per chicken breast
    1. Heat oil and add turmeric anc cook until sauce darkens (about 3-4 mins)
    2. Add chicken and coat all chicken pieces then cook with a lid on for 15 mins on a low heat

Ingredients
    • 5 tbsp veg oil
    • 425ml curry sauce
    • 1 tsp Salt
    • 1 tsp chilli powder
    • 1 tsp Garam masala
    • 1/2 tsp ground Cumin
    • 1/2 tsp fenugreek
    • 450g Chicken Breast, cubed
    • 1/2 Tomato – thinly sliced
    • handful of Coriander Leaves, chopped

Method

1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the curry sauce and bring to the boil
    2. Add the Salt, chilli powder and chicken and cook for 5 mins
    3. Turn down the heat and stir in garam masala, cumin and fenugreek. Simmer for 2-3 mins
    4. Put in tomato and half the coriander and cook for 2 mins
    5. Skim off excess oil and add the rest of the coriander leaves

Original Poster

csiman

Proper Curry Gravy (what restaurant chefs use as the base stock)CURRY … Proper Curry Gravy (what restaurant chefs use as the base stock)CURRY SAUCE RECIPE – For approximately 8 servingsPrep & cooking time – 1hr 30mStage 1 & 22lb (900g) cooking onions2oz (50g) green ginger2oz (50g) garlic2.75 pt (1L 570ml) water1tsp saltStage 31 tin (9oz/225g) tomatoes8tblsp veg oil1tsp tomato puree1tsp turmeric1tsp paprikaStage 11. Peel & rinse onions, ginger & garlic. 2. Slice onions and roughly chop ginger & garlic3. Blend ginger & garlic with 0.5pt (275ml) water4. Put blended ginger & garlic, the onions and remainder of water into large pan 5. Add the salt and bring to the boil, then simmer on low with lid on for 40-45 minutes6. Leave to coolStage 21. Once cooled, pour half the mixture into a blender and blend until absolutely smooth2. Pour blended mixture into a clean pan or bowl and repeat step 1 with the other half of the mixture3. Freezing recommended at this stage Stage 31. Blend tomatoes until smooth2. In a clean saucepan, put oil, tom puree, turmeric & paprika3. Add blended tomatoes and bring to the boil4. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally5. Now add the onion mixture and return to simmer6. Skim off froth that forms and keep simmering for another 20 minutes, removing froth and stirring occasionally7. Use immediately or cool & refrigerate for up to 4 days.

csiman

CHICKEN MADRASCook the chicken first as follows:-1 tbsp of veg oil per … CHICKEN MADRASCook the chicken first as follows:-1 tbsp of veg oil per chicken breast0.2 tsp of turmeric per chicken breast1 tablespoon of RESERVED curry sauce per chicken breast1. Heat oil and add turmeric anc cook until sauce darkens (about 3-4 mins)2. Add chicken and coat all chicken pieces then cook with a lid on for 15 mins on a low heatIngredients• 5 tbsp veg oil• 425ml curry sauce• 1 tsp Salt• 1 tsp chilli powder• 1 tsp Garam masala• 1/2 tsp ground Cumin• 1/2 tsp fenugreek• 450g Chicken Breast, cubed• 1/2 Tomato – thinly sliced• handful of Coriander Leaves, choppedMethod1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the curry sauce and bring to the boil2. Add the Salt, chilli powder and chicken and cook for 5 mins3. Turn down the heat and stir in garam masala, cumin and fenugreek. Simmer for 2-3 mins4. Put in tomato and half the coriander and cook for 2 mins5. Skim off excess oil and add the rest of the coriander leaves

cheers, will try that sometime this week

JO-JO

best way to cook a curry is to use all fresh ingredients

it makes it very hard when DLM has padlocks on the shed.

Banned

splatsplatsplat

it makes it very hard when DLM has padlocks on the shed.

They are getting a new home today

Banned

csiman

Proper Curry Gravy (what restaurant chefs use as the base stock)CURRY … Proper Curry Gravy (what restaurant chefs use as the base stock)CURRY SAUCE RECIPE – For approximately 8 servingsPrep & cooking time – 1hr 30mStage 1 & 22lb (900g) cooking onions2oz (50g) green ginger2oz (50g) garlic2.75 pt (1L 570ml) water1tsp saltStage 31 tin (9oz/225g) tomatoes8tblsp veg oil1tsp tomato puree1tsp turmeric1tsp paprikaStage 11. Peel & rinse onions, ginger & garlic. 2. Slice onions and roughly chop ginger & garlic3. Blend ginger & garlic with 0.5pt (275ml) water4. Put blended ginger & garlic, the onions and remainder of water into large pan 5. Add the salt and bring to the boil, then simmer on low with lid on for 40-45 minutes6. Leave to coolStage 21. Once cooled, pour half the mixture into a blender and blend until absolutely smooth2. Pour blended mixture into a clean pan or bowl and repeat step 1 with the other half of the mixture3. Freezing recommended at this stage Stage 31. Blend tomatoes until smooth2. In a clean saucepan, put oil, tom puree, turmeric & paprika3. Add blended tomatoes and bring to the boil4. Turn down the heat and simmer for 10 minutes stirring occasionally5. Now add the onion mixture and return to simmer6. Skim off froth that forms and keep simmering for another 20 minutes, removing froth and stirring occasionally7. Use immediately or cool & refrigerate for up to 4 days.

csiman

CHICKEN MADRASCook the chicken first as follows:-1 tbsp of veg oil per … CHICKEN MADRASCook the chicken first as follows:-1 tbsp of veg oil per chicken breast0.2 tsp of turmeric per chicken breast1 tablespoon of RESERVED curry sauce per chicken breast1. Heat oil and add turmeric anc cook until sauce darkens (about 3-4 mins)2. Add chicken and coat all chicken pieces then cook with a lid on for 15 mins on a low heatIngredients• 5 tbsp veg oil• 425ml curry sauce• 1 tsp Salt• 1 tsp chilli powder• 1 tsp Garam masala• 1/2 tsp ground Cumin• 1/2 tsp fenugreek• 450g Chicken Breast, cubed• 1/2 Tomato – thinly sliced• handful of Coriander Leaves, choppedMethod1. Heat the oil in a pan and add the curry sauce and bring to the boil2. Add the Salt, chilli powder and chicken and cook for 5 mins3. Turn down the heat and stir in garam masala, cumin and fenugreek. Simmer for 2-3 mins4. Put in tomato and half the coriander and cook for 2 mins5. Skim off excess oil and add the rest of the coriander leaves

WARNING - open a window when cooking the ginger, garlic, onions as it will stink your house out for weeks!

Banned

or Dhansak using the same gravy as above

Chicken Dhansak

6 tblsp veg oil
    275ml of curry sauce as above
    2 cups lentil dal – NOT LENTILS
    -------------------------------------
    450g chicken
    0.5tsp salt
    0.5tsp chilli powder
    1 green chilli finely chopped
    1.5tsp garam masala
    1tsp ground cumin
    2tblsp lemon juice
    1tblsp chopped green coriander

1. heat oil in large deep fry pan
    2. add curry sauce and lentils and bring to the boil
    3. Whilst boiling, add chicken, salt, chilli powder and ground chilli
    4. stir well and cook on high for 5 mins
    5. turn down to summer for another 5 mins
    skim off excess oil and stir in garam masal, cumin & lemon juice
    6. serve sprinked with coriander

Banned

better still, get this book - pretty amazing

amazon.co.uk/Cur…8-1

csiman

better still, get this book - pretty … better still, get this book - pretty amazinghttp://www.amazon.co.uk/Curry-Secret-Indian-Restaurant-Meals/dp/0716021919/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1287221640&sr=8-1

ordered thanks-looks interesting and for less than 4 quid a bargain methinks!

This review doesn't look great,i wonder why they think everythings bland,curry is my fave takeaway coz i can't cook won't cook,not sure whether to get this book for my OH.

After reading all the reviews I was excited when this book was delivered. I made base sauce as required, like some of the other reviews i had my doubts when it turned green, but when it was finally finished i was eager to make the curry. I did taste the base and thought it was bland, however as we are meant to add spices to this i thought it was fine.

When i came to make my first curry, the Chicken Balti i followed the recipe exactly, however when it was finished i found it extremely bland.

I tried different recipes but they all tasted very similiar and still all bland. Looking at the ingredients, the vast majority of the recipes in this book (for the curry dishes) only use Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala. Occasionlly a recipe will call for cream, or a few chili's, onion or capsicum, but nothing that will change the flavour as vastly as the spices.

Looking at creating the chicken tikka, and for the meat, it only seems to be the onion, ginger and garlic marinade with added chili powder. I cannot see how that would create the authentic tikka taste.

I am very dissapointed with this book and cant see how it has rated so high. When you get this book, look at the ingredients and you will be able to see the similarity between alot of the dishes.

I am going to try Pat Chapman's book after being recommended by a regulary 'curry cooker' at work. I have compared the same recipes for Dhanksak. Keep in mind this is quite a fruity flavoured dish, in the Curry Secret the only additional ingredient (beside the typical Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala) was lemon juice. This could not give that fruity flavour. Looking at Pat Chapmans ingredient list for the Dhansak, he uses Pinapple and various other fruity flavours

deb8z

This review doesn't look great,i wonder why they think everythings … This review doesn't look great,i wonder why they think everythings bland,curry is my fave takeaway coz i can't cook won't cook,not sure whether to get this book for my OH.After reading all the reviews I was excited when this book was delivered. I made base sauce as required, like some of the other reviews i had my doubts when it turned green, but when it was finally finished i was eager to make the curry. I did taste the base and thought it was bland, however as we are meant to add spices to this i thought it was fine. When i came to make my first curry, the Chicken Balti i followed the recipe exactly, however when it was finished i found it extremely bland. I tried different recipes but they all tasted very similiar and still all bland. Looking at the ingredients, the vast majority of the recipes in this book (for the curry dishes) only use Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala. Occasionlly a recipe will call for cream, or a few chili's, onion or capsicum, but nothing that will change the flavour as vastly as the spices. Looking at creating the chicken tikka, and for the meat, it only seems to be the onion, ginger and garlic marinade with added chili powder. I cannot see how that would create the authentic tikka taste. I am very dissapointed with this book and cant see how it has rated so high. When you get this book, look at the ingredients and you will be able to see the similarity between alot of the dishes. I am going to try Pat Chapman's book after being recommended by a regulary 'curry cooker' at work. I have compared the same recipes for Dhanksak. Keep in mind this is quite a fruity flavoured dish, in the Curry Secret the only additional ingredient (beside the typical Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala) was lemon juice. This could not give that fruity flavour. Looking at Pat Chapmans ingredient list for the Dhansak, he uses Pinapple and various other fruity flavours

well,of course,all indian restaurant curries are "bland" if you want to be totally honest-no self respecting indian would be seen dead eating any of them-chicken tikka masala was,in fact invented in glasgow to cater for britains bland tastebuds! I recently went to see hardeep singh kohlis "nearly naked chef" show,where he cooks a dish and tells some stories(very entertaining) and he said that the base of a good curry is firstly to use ordinary cooking oil(not olive oil),seasoned with cumin seeds and garamasala and then caramelise the onions in it for TWO HOURS-and thats just the base! how many people actually do that? should be remembered in Britain that the majority of people cooking "indian" food at home are replicating indian restaurant dishes and not actually cooking indian food.Most people in india have never heard of half the dishes on a menu in an indian restaurant in the uk.

Banned

deb8z

This review doesn't look great,i wonder why they think everythings … This review doesn't look great,i wonder why they think everythings bland,curry is my fave takeaway coz i can't cook won't cook,not sure whether to get this book for my OH.After reading all the reviews I was excited when this book was delivered. I made base sauce as required, like some of the other reviews i had my doubts when it turned green, but when it was finally finished i was eager to make the curry. I did taste the base and thought it was bland, however as we are meant to add spices to this i thought it was fine. When i came to make my first curry, the Chicken Balti i followed the recipe exactly, however when it was finished i found it extremely bland. I tried different recipes but they all tasted very similiar and still all bland. Looking at the ingredients, the vast majority of the recipes in this book (for the curry dishes) only use Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala. Occasionlly a recipe will call for cream, or a few chili's, onion or capsicum, but nothing that will change the flavour as vastly as the spices. Looking at creating the chicken tikka, and for the meat, it only seems to be the onion, ginger and garlic marinade with added chili powder. I cannot see how that would create the authentic tikka taste. I am very dissapointed with this book and cant see how it has rated so high. When you get this book, look at the ingredients and you will be able to see the similarity between alot of the dishes. I am going to try Pat Chapman's book after being recommended by a regulary 'curry cooker' at work. I have compared the same recipes for Dhanksak. Keep in mind this is quite a fruity flavoured dish, in the Curry Secret the only additional ingredient (beside the typical Paprika, Cumin, Tumeric, Chili Powder and Garam Masala) was lemon juice. This could not give that fruity flavour. Looking at Pat Chapmans ingredient list for the Dhansak, he uses Pinapple and various other fruity flavours

Had to laugh at that review. Tasted it half way and said it was bland (its only garlic, onion & ginger at this stage). Its gonna be bland. Seems as though the guy didnt use enough salt or used cheap / old spices as pretty hard to make a bland curry imo

overall - 4.5 out of 5.0 from 194 reviews is a better guide

Banned

a more realistic review:-

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what it says on the tin, 8 April 2008
    By N. Prior (UK) - See all my reviews
    (REAL NAME)
    This review is from: The Curry Secret : Indian Restaurant Cookery at Home (Paperback)
    I've had this book for nearly 10 years and if you want to learn how to make Indian food just like in your local restaurant, then this is the book for you. All the curries are made from a simple base mix, which can be frozen and is easy to make. The individual curries require different spices to be added and this is where I think the people writing negative comments have had problems. Restaurants will use fresh spices when most home cooks will take the dried option and this will affect your final dish. That said, I have used dried and they are fine.

Everyone who has tried one of my curries from this book can't believe it has come from my kitchen and not the local curry house. Several friends have purchased this book after trying my fare, including my brother who, along with myself, has spent time in India eating authentic curries. You will not find these in this book but if you use decent ingredients you'll be happy!
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Win a Davosa Ternos Submariner Wristwatch worth £64578
      2. Win 1 of 3 x £1000 Selfridges vouchers with Virgin Trains1211
      3. Win a luxury eight-night break for two in Malaysia with Ushvani Spa and Tra…55
      4. Win a safari adventure & claim a free Chicago Town pizza coupon44

See more discussions