How to cut a shorter length of battery operated led fairy lights ?

Found 23rd Jul 2016
Hi
I need for a to get a shorter length and fewer led lights than available for a diy. I have a battery operated led outside lights with timer. There are 16 of them but I need only five to work.(amazon.co.uk/Fes…1_4?s=kitchen&ie=UTF8&qid=1469270477&sr=1-4&keywords=warm+white+battery+timer+led)
Any way to cut short the length and rejoin or take out a led bulb(?),etc.How do you do this? Thanks

6 Comments

Is this a joke question. All you do is cut the wires and rejoin them further up it won't do any damage its batteries

Original Poster

gr8h8me

Is this a joke question. All you do is cut the wires and rejoin them … Is this a joke question. All you do is cut the wires and rejoin them further up it won't do any damage its batteries

I agree (_;)

But I was told you cannot cut led lights like you would do with any other ones.

Depends on whether they are wired in series/parallel/sections , you could have voltage drops and stop functioning.I have simple questions like ... do I need to keep the original last bulb as my last or do I just cut off the ones that I don't need?

I thought battery powered led lights are not wired in series but in parallel.

All I want to do is just get rid of some lights while keeping my timer working ...grrrr!

Edited by: "jfowler" 23rd Jul 2016

Open up the timer box and disconnect the lighting wires, then count 6 lights on the original end of the light wire (the end opposite to the battery and timer) and cut off the excess lights. Then solder the remaining six back to the timer and battery terminals, making sure they are the right way round and that they light up before you solder them on. LEDs only work if they are connected the right way around as they have a negative side and a positive side.

Hope this helps

Original Poster

danielwhicks

Open up the timer box and disconnect the lighting wires, then count 6 … Open up the timer box and disconnect the lighting wires, then count 6 lights on the original end of the light wire (the end opposite to the battery and timer) and cut off the excess lights. Then solder the remaining six back to the timer and battery terminals, making sure they are the right way round and that they light up before you solder them on. LEDs only work if they are connected the right way around as they have a negative side and a positive side.Hope this helps

Thanks mate!

No problem

depending on the setup and the led's themselves just cutting the wires could end up with having no light, or burning out the remaining led's.

Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions