How to cut Thames water bills ?

Posted 15th Nov
I have a meter and our use is way below what we pay. We submit constantly readings and they don't reduce my monthly direct debit. Any way to get them to adjust my payments ?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

25 Comments
Do you have a large amount of credit built up or are the payments you are making covering the cost of the bills?

If they are just about covering the cost of the bills then you won’t get any reduction. Remember water charges increase most years so any saving may just be eaten by cost increase, you can be assured though that your saving money.

Other point to note is that if your usage was really low anyway and you lower it slightly it won’t make a huge difference due to standing charges etc.

DD are normally reviewed annually by the provider.
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 15th Nov
Could you have a leak?
Check if you are taking the readings correctly. If they are showing up properly on the bill, then there is not much you can do. I have a smart meter which is read every 6 months so I submit my own reading in between.
Edited by: "bozo007" 15th Nov
The payment is around 90 pounds monthly and we spend about 35 pounds each month and a half.
No leak and the readings are accurate and in time. I was expecting the changes automatically like gas and electricity providers.
insist on paying the exact amount used rather than "estimated" ..ask for the "credit" payment outstanding to your account!
Pokora15/11/2019 11:53

The payment is around 90 pounds monthly and we spend about 35 pounds each …The payment is around 90 pounds monthly and we spend about 35 pounds each month and a half. No leak and the readings are accurate and in time. I was expecting the changes automatically like gas and electricity providers.

Wow £90 per month is a LOT.

How many people ? How often do you use the washing machine ? Do you take daily baths / long showers ?

The payment is around 90 pounds monthly and we spend about 35 pounds each …The payment is around 90 pounds monthly and we spend about 35 pounds each month and a half. No leak and the readings are accurate and in time. I was expecting the changes automatically like gas and electricity providers.

I had a friend, he wasn't on a meter, but he noticed the sound of water flowing, can/ have you taken a reading with the house empty, and then checked it a few hours later?
Have you just gone onto a meter?
redserpent15/11/2019 12:38

Wow £90 per month is a LOT.How many people ? How often do you use the …Wow £90 per month is a LOT.How many people ? How often do you use the washing machine ? Do you take daily baths / long showers ?

I pay about £120 every 6 months and i thought that was too much
Contact them, since you’re paying direct debit - ask them if they are charging you estimate charges (as some people pay the same amount monthly, regardless of how much you use) or the actual bill. That’s an excessive amount so you *should* be in credit. I would definitely speak to an advisor & ask them to break down the total charges for everything (water supply & sewage) going back over a 1 year period. This should help unravel the mystery.
Edited by: "Zero.Chill" 15th Nov
samosa15/11/2019 16:24

Yup.. that about how much I pay for 6 months too.
i'm on a meter, single person in a 3 bed house... £14.50 a month

i was getting charged more, but after speaking to them on live chat i got a rebate and my monthly bill reduced
to pay for actual usage,
you'd need to be in a property and on the meter for quite a while so they can see what you actually use,
they started me off on £27 a month for the first 6 months of living here, then it jumped to £47 a month
thats when i read the meter and hit them up on live chat!
Edited by: "cainer1" 15th Nov
You have to submit readings?
I'm on a meter and don't have to submit readings, but my bill did halve, although I'm not with Thames water.

£90 monthly is an incredibly high water bill.

The data below is based on 2017/18 rates so things wouldn't have moved that much.

£60 per month is high usage for 6 occupants. So Thames Water need to explain themselves, and explain themselves pronto.

Unless you are paying off some kind of arrears I would insist that they rebated you £55 x each month this has occurred. If they don't play ball immediately go to you bank and claw back x amount of direct debits @ £90 until you get the amount back that way. Just tell bank that you informed the water company some time ago about the situation and to date they have not rectified the issue.

38997394-QrpNl.jpg
Edited by: "OllieSt" 15th Nov

£90 per month on water? Damn it better be Holy Water for that price
Bigfootpete15/11/2019 18:40

You have to submit readings? I'm on a meter and don't have to submit …You have to submit readings? I'm on a meter and don't have to submit readings, but my bill did halve, although I'm not with Thames water.

the water company check meters once every 6 months, they just walk down the road and check meters that are visable,
mine is in the middle of the drive (under my car) so they just estimate the reading as they don't bother knocking to get access to it
cainer115/11/2019 19:37

the water company check meters once every 6 months, they just walk down …the water company check meters once every 6 months, they just walk down the road and check meters that are visable,mine is in the middle of the drive (under my car) so they just estimate the reading as they don't bother knocking to get access to it

I didn't think that was an issue as I understood they could literally take a reading as they went past?
JimboParrot15/11/2019 19:46

I didn't think that was an issue as I understood they could literally take …I didn't think that was an issue as I understood they could literally take a reading as they went past?

they have to lift the lid of the meter and read the numbers, they cant do that when my 2 ton car is sat over the top of it
Fair enough - ours around here are on the pavement and read remotely.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 15th Nov
samosa15/11/2019 16:24

We pay the same. 2 people in a flat. Meter installed.
cainer115/11/2019 19:47

they have to lift the lid of the meter and read the numbers, they cant do …they have to lift the lid of the meter and read the numbers, they cant do that when my 2 ton car is sat over the top of it

Not if its a smart meter that transmits the readings. In my neighbourhood, the meter reader just drives past slowly to pick up the readings.
Thank you guys, i gave them a call and they adjust my monthly charge + refund me the almost 200 pounds i have in credit. Near the end of the plan i will ask for the remaining credit if i have.
Easiest way is to move house.

Hope this helps.
Pokora20/11/2019 10:01

Thank you guys, i gave them a call and they adjust my monthly charge + …Thank you guys, i gave them a call and they adjust my monthly charge + refund me the almost 200 pounds i have in credit. Near the end of the plan i will ask for the remaining credit if i have.

Very impressed, you done good.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants