How to deal with Phoenix Commercials Debt collection for council tax?

Posted 3rd Aug
Asking for a relative for whom the council tax from 9 years ago has been passed onto the baillifs which they didn't even know about. They cannot afford to pay as they can't working due to illness and covid-19, they have some benefits being paid but not enough.
Community Updates
Ask
11 Comments
Isn't anything over 6 years old statute barred, as long as the relative hasn't accepted ownership of the debt for at least 6 years?
Legitimate bailiff, or money demand from an organisation that mentions the word "bailiffs"?
Initially do some admin: check if first summons for non-payment was issued within six years of the CT bill "becoming due" (not the same as issue date). If not, they can still chase you(r relatives) for the money, they just cannot enforce payment.
Contact friends and family and clear the debt owing. If this fails.

Ask them to try, maybe part time work, potentially something they can do from home depending on their illness.
Anything to take the burden off taxpayers, and councils.
Should be statute barred,
Look up to process on line.
You send them a letter and ask for original debt, or something like that and they have 14 days to reply.
Even once proven they can still chase you, but are gongs without teeth.
If you do owe a debt and own a car there’s a work around to stop Bar stewards taking the car.
You take out a log book loan, that way the cars on finance and can’t be taken.
No such thing as statute barred with regards to council tax, or so I’ve been told previously.
They must have received countless letters chasing this debt, I doubt very much the debt was passed to the collectors and then it’s got to the bailiff stage without them ever knowing about it.

Sounds like it’s time to start taking it seriously, speak to the company and see what solution they can offer and try to get the money together to pay it off.
winzzz04/08/2020 08:24

They must have received countless letters chasing this debt, I doubt very …They must have received countless letters chasing this debt, I doubt very much the debt was passed to the collectors and then it’s got to the bailiff stage without them ever knowing about it. Sounds like it’s time to start taking it seriously, speak to the company and see what solution they can offer and try to get the money together to pay it off.

Exactly. There's no way they didn't know about it.
sammy12504/08/2020 11:45

Exactly. There's no way they didn't know about it.

As far as I know, don't think they knew about this... It took almost a decade to come.
Adam_Khan1Tc04/08/2020 11:58

As far as I know, don't think they knew about this... It took almost a …As far as I know, don't think they knew about this... It took almost a decade to come.

There would have been dozens of letters. Would have been on their credit report. Would have received letters from the court before it got this far.
chrisdwiliams04/08/2020 06:57

No such thing as statute barred with regards to council tax, or so I’ve b …No such thing as statute barred with regards to council tax, or so I’ve been told previously.

The requirement mentioned in post 2 of this thread still seems to be statute:
"...no application may be instituted in respect of a sum after the period of six years beginning with the day on which it became due..."
Regulation 34 of Council Tax (Administration and Enforcement) Regulations 1992
legislation.gov.uk/uks…ade
sammy12504/08/2020 12:30

There would have been dozens of letters. Would have been on their credit …There would have been dozens of letters. Would have been on their credit report. Would have received letters from the court before it got this far.

Debts need paid. They'll have to find a way
Post a comment
@
    Text