How to delete photos permanently from Android

Found 5th Aug
I will be selling my phone so I need to delete all the photos permanently from the phone as I understand that they are still stored in the phone's memory and can be recovered should anyone wish to do so.

It is unlikely that anyone would want to do so, but I would prefer to be safe as there are personal photos on there. I have googled the question and there are software recommended, but wondered if anyone has experience of doing this and could recommend a free software.

I would prefer an app, but if not, then software will do.
Community Updates
Ask
23 Comments
Factory reset it they’ll all be gone. You can still access them on line using your google account if you’ve backed them up
You can google the exact model of your phone for any further details or go to "Backup & reset" in Settings app and select "Factory Data Reset."

Remove the SD card first

And before that, you may want to look at an app to backup all your text msgs and contacts onto the SD card. I use SMS backup to take a weekly backup firstly to the SD card and secondly to email a copy of each file to myself. Losing or swapping a phone need not be painful
rayanfield837 m ago

Factory reset it they’ll all be gone. You can still access them on line u …Factory reset it they’ll all be gone. You can still access them on line using your google account if you’ve backed them up

That's not true in all cases. Factory resetting doesn't actually remove the data, it just deletes the addresses of the data so it doesn't know where it's stored, but for lots of different software it's incredibly easy to get back photos, emails etc. If the phone originally came with Android 6.0 or higher everything should be encrypted and if you factory reset it should require a key to get to any of the data, so should be really quite safe. You can get software to write over the top of all data if you want things extra secure.
I think mutleys famous enough to appear on celebjihad. How much for the phone, mutters?
Just do a factory reset then fill it with videos. It will overwrite all the data.
MadeDixonsCry16 m ago

Just do a factory reset then fill it with videos. It will overwrite all …Just do a factory reset then fill it with videos. It will overwrite all the data.

this sounds clever. so i do a factory reset, then fill it with videos. then delete the videos so if anyone looks, all they would recover are the videos that i had put into the phone's gallery section?
Just delete them, like seriously
benjammin31612 m ago

Just delete them, like seriously

Like seriosuly, not that simple
Edited by: "artnada" 5th Aug
mutley128 m ago

this sounds clever. so i do a factory reset, then fill it with videos. …this sounds clever. so i do a factory reset, then fill it with videos. then delete the videos so if anyone looks, all they would recover are the videos that i had put into the phone's gallery section?

Well that's the jist of it, it's not a step by step guide. For that you need to tell us the capacity of the phone, and what size your pc says it is once you plug the reset phone into your pc.

You can't use an app because you'd have to create a new Google account once you reset.
MadeDixonsCry7 m ago

Well that's the jist of it, it's not a step by step guide. For that you …Well that's the jist of it, it's not a step by step guide. For that you need to tell us the capacity of the phone, and what size your pc says it is once you plug the reset phone into your pc.You can't use an app because you'd have to create a new Google account once you reset.

i was thinking of copying a whole load of nonsense videos from the net to the size of the phone's memory and paste it into the folder on the phone where all the photos and videos are currently stored so it fills it up completely. then delete all the videos from that folder.

should work right?
mutley121 m ago

i was thinking of copying a whole load of nonsense videos from the net to …i was thinking of copying a whole load of nonsense videos from the net to the size of the phone's memory and paste it into the folder on the phone where all the photos and videos are currently stored so it fills it up completely. then delete all the videos from that folder.should work right?

What's wrong with you? (serious question).
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Aug
RiverDragon818 m ago

What's wrong with you? (serious question).

What do you mean, what is wrong with me?
mutley112 m ago

What do you mean, what is wrong with me?

It was a joke.
RiverDragon87 m ago

It was a joke.

but you said you were serious!
mutley13 m ago

but you said you were serious!

I have very dry sarcastic humour.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 5th Aug
mutley11 h, 24 m ago

i was thinking of copying a whole load of nonsense videos from the net to …i was thinking of copying a whole load of nonsense videos from the net to the size of the phone's memory and paste it into the folder on the phone where all the photos and videos are currently stored so it fills it up completely. then delete all the videos from that folder.should work right?

Yes, send me the phone and I'll verify your nudes are gone.
Edited by: "MadeDixonsCry" 5th Aug
MadeDixonsCry39 m ago

Yes, send me the phone and I'll verify your nudes are gone.

Thanks for the offer, but I think I can manage from here now. Don't want those to get into the wrong hands
Factory reset.
Then shuv some large files on it sufficient to fill its memory (PCprograms, DVD ISO, anything that's fewGB+).
Fill the reamining small amount of memory with smaller files (public domain vids, PD progs, PD images).
And repeat at least once using different filler.
Pretty sure there's an app or apps that does this by rewriting one large download and modifying it each time it's duplicated, but can't remember name of one of them! When it comes to phones and forums, I can't even remember my username.
mutley13 h, 29 m ago

this sounds clever. so i do a factory reset, then fill it with videos. …this sounds clever. so i do a factory reset, then fill it with videos. then delete the videos so if anyone looks, all they would recover are the videos that i had put into the phone's gallery section?

Even then they could retrieve data but realistically unless your an important person nobody would go past trouble , 1 overite should be efficient
whelan1891 h, 41 m ago

Even then they could retrieve data but realistically unless your an …Even then they could retrieve data but realistically unless your an important person nobody would go past trouble , 1 overite should be efficient

no, i am not important. i just don't want anyone else to see the photos whether they do anything with it or not.
The only way is to factory reset phone then fill the memory up by filming video of a wall or something for hours. Then factory reset again. I can't be bothered myself when I sell on phones but I guess it's not difficult to do
It’s 2018 are android phones not encrypted by default? Genuine question, if so surely a factory reset would be perfectly okay because the keys would be gone with the reset even if someone were able to access the memory
We wouldn’t want images of any mislead or encouraged men friends to make it to the public domain.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions