How to drill hole in concrete fence post to mend fence

Posted 24th May 2020
The winds have blown a fence panel down

we have sturdy concrete fence posts but the holes drilled for the fence bracket are very shallow

I have tried using a hammer drill and 8mm masonary drill bits (I bought a pack of 2 from wickes) but they are struggling.

I could drill one hole with difficulty and then struggled to get a second hole

I tried the second drill bit which struggled but almost managed to drill a new hole but struggles to drill another one

Any suggestions?
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
BadMF24/05/2020 20:58

I use these: [Image] They are called "post pins"

Poor spidey
14 Comments
If you must drill a hole it’s best to start with a smaller diameter drill and work up, e.g start with a 4mm then 6 then 8. Also SDS plus drills and their bits are far better for masonry. Another option might be some sort of clamp that tightens round the post.
40860913-FkzNZ.jpg
Concrete posts are easy to drill into so maybe your drill is not good enough. What drill are you using?
Edited by: "YouAreMySolskjaer" 24th May
I've got slotted concrete posts & I'm sure they have re-bar inside them
Edited by: "richp" 24th May
Drilled a few recently, they are not exactly easy like mentioned above, i have powerful sds drill which took it's time getting through.
You have to drill dead centre of post to avoid the metal rods
I didn't realise that there was a metal rod in the middle of the post.

How wide is the metal rod?
slippers197724/05/2020 19:38

If you must drill a hole it’s best to start with a smaller diameter drill a …If you must drill a hole it’s best to start with a smaller diameter drill and work up, e.g start with a 4mm then 6 then 8. Also SDS plus drills and their bits are far better for masonry. Another option might be some sort of clamp that tightens round the post.[Image]

Where can I buy these clamps?
Mark_Hickman24/05/2020 19:43

Drilled a few recently, they are not exactly easy like mentioned above, i …Drilled a few recently, they are not exactly easy like mentioned above, i have powerful sds drill which took it's time getting through.You have to drill dead centre of post to avoid the metal rods

+1 for SDS drill
Helpful56724/05/2020 19:45

I didn't realise that there was a metal rod in the middle of the post.How …I didn't realise that there was a metal rod in the middle of the post.How wide is the metal rod?

40861077.jpg4 bars, i didn't say they were in the centre, i said you can only drill the centre
Edited by: "Mark_Hickman" 24th May
I use these:

40861585-5MFSC.jpg

They are called "post pins"
Edited by: "BadMF" 24th May
BadMF24/05/2020 20:58

I use these: [Image] They are called "post pins"

Poor spidey
Are you using a "Proper" hammer drill or a cordless?
dewalt extreme masonry bits and go easy. Not flat out on high speed. If you can't go slower tickle the trigger on and off. Easy to drill with any budget hammer drill and quality bit. People use naff bits and go flat out which won't work. Skips surface and burns out bit. On hammer you need to go on a slow speed
Edited by: "wayners" 25th May
Post a comment
@
    Text