Groups

How to either add a sata hard drive or easily get info off it

My original post is here hotukdeals.com/ite…fro?

I have since found out my old HD is a 3.5" sata HD and I have bought the Dell Vostro 430 and it was suggested I would be able to either add the old drive as a 2nd drive or as I just want to get some of the info off just open the vostro up and attach the old drive to get the files off. What's the easiest way remembering I am a complete novice and need an idiots step by step guide.

Thanks all.

6 Comments

If you want to add the drive to your new pc you will just need a SATA datacable and fit it inside your pc ( you should already have a spare power cable inside your pc)
    If all you want to do is get the data from your HDD then you could just unplug the SATA cable from your DVD drive and use that whilst you get the data off your old HDD,just make sure you do all the plugging and unplugging while the machine is turned off,

the red one is the data cable
    http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/sata-ide_lg.jpg

Original Poster

tonyg1962;8108600

If you want to add the drive to your new pc you will just need a SATA … If you want to add the drive to your new pc you will just need a SATA datacable and fit it inside your pc ( you should already have a spare power cable inside your pc)If all you want to do is get the data from your HDD then you could just unplug the SATA cable from your DVD drive and use that whilst you get the data off your old HDD,just make sure you do all the plugging and unplugging while the machine is turned off,the red one is the data cable

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, I just unplug that red cable from the dvd drive, plug it into the old drive? Then I plug in the power cable to the HD - what does that look like? Sorry - probably a really stupid question.

mpesm;8108630

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, I just unplug that red cable from … Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, I just unplug that red cable from the dvd drive, plug it into the old drive? Then I plug in the power cable to the HD - what does that look like? Sorry - probably a really stupid question.

It looks like.....not the red one. :thumbsup:

mpesm;8108630

Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, I just unplug that red cable from … Hey, thanks for the quick reply! So, I just unplug that red cable from the dvd drive, plug it into the old drive? Then I plug in the power cable to the HD - what does that look like? Sorry - probably a really stupid question.

Just make sure you do this when the computer is powered off! The data cable might not also be red, it could be any colour but hopefully if your DVD drive is SATA, only one cable will fit so just trial and error if you're unsure.

Original Poster

Ok, I had a spare slot in the Dell so have mounted the old drive, had spare "red" cable so plugged it into the HD and into slot "2" on the motherboard (just followed where the other hd was plugged in (slot 1) and put in the slot next to it and attached the other cable as in picture above.

Now what? I assume i have to press f2 to get to the bios then what?

Thanks all again!

Original Poster

mpesm;8109118

Ok, I had a spare slot in the Dell so have mounted the old drive, had … Ok, I had a spare slot in the Dell so have mounted the old drive, had spare "red" cable so plugged it into the HD and into slot "2" on the motherboard (just followed where the other hd was plugged in (slot 1) and put in the slot next to it and attached the other cable as in picture above. Now what? I assume i have to press f2 to get to the bios then what? Thanks all again!

All resolved, turned the pc on and windows detected it straight away!

Thanks all.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767461
      2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4691424
      3. GIVEAWAY - Clear out of duplicate CD Keys from Humble Bundle I have yet to …22
      4. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19047183

See more discussions