How to fix a extremely loud PS3 fan.

Found 25th Jul 2012
So I went and brought a PS3 off ebay and he said it makes a little noise in the description, but Im not kidding you, this thing sounds like a jet engine. Anybody know how to fix it without too much effort?
Community Updates
MiscFanPS3
21 Comments
same problem here, let me know if you find out. Thanks
put something under ps3 lifting it up at least 5 inchs that solved my noise issue.it gives fan more air to pull in to stop it revving up.
Mine only makes the loud noise if it's lead on its side,since I stood it up it's never made a noise again.
shake it! shake it till it stops!!
Spray WD40 into it.
remove it? replace it?
Original Poster
osmanafc

put something under ps3 lifting it up at least 5 inchs that solved my … put something under ps3 lifting it up at least 5 inchs that solved my noise issue.it gives fan more air to pull in to stop it revving up.

Tried that no luck.
Lift it 6 inch?
If none of the above suggestions apply such as cleaning it of dust and it is a PS3 Phat, then it's likely that the system has YLODed at some point and been repaired badly or has been taken apart and fixed several times. As a result the thermal transfer between the processor/gpu to the fans and cooling fins are just not working as well as it should. Sounds like it may be the owner trying to offload a close to death PS3 on an unsuspecting buyer or that it's been shaken about in transit too much and is now on its last legs.
I have the same issue and the model is the Original Launch (Fat 40GB PS3) , please help the noise is making me go crazy and happens even when just sitting on the menu (XMB) with nothing running , the noise gradually builds up after 2 minutes
deleted265520
jaked68

I have the same issue and the model is the Original Launch (Fat 40GB PS3) … I have the same issue and the model is the Original Launch (Fat 40GB PS3) , please help the noise is making me go crazy and happens even when just sitting on the menu (XMB) with nothing running , the noise gradually builds up after 2 minutes

You've just bumped a 2 year old thread...

Youve got a launch day console. Im surprised it's still working. Either put up with it or bin it.
Banned
jaked68

I have the same issue and the model is the Original Launch (Fat 40GB PS3) … I have the same issue and the model is the Original Launch (Fat 40GB PS3) , please help the noise is making me go crazy and happens even when just sitting on the menu (XMB) with nothing running , the noise gradually builds up after 2 minutes

Put something underneath it lifting it 7inches
I have tried that and it didn't work , I even have used fans and underneath cooling pad and fans and the noise level is still the same and ps3 is so loud you cant even hear the extra fans
Banned
jaked68

I have tried that and it didn't work , I even have used fans and … I have tried that and it didn't work , I even have used fans and underneath cooling pad and fans and the noise level is still the same and ps3 is so loud you cant even hear the extra fans

shake it! shake it till it stops!!
jaked68

I have tried that and it didn't work , I even have used fans and … I have tried that and it didn't work , I even have used fans and underneath cooling pad and fans and the noise level is still the same and ps3 is so loud you cant even hear the extra fans

There is only one fan. See comment #9.

You fix an extremely loud PS3 fan by two statements:
"PlayStation Network Security Breach" & "ApocalyPS3".
What is it with old threads making a comeback lately?
My Commodore 64 & Spectrum ZX are very loud as well.......Any suggestions ?
Steve Mac

What is it with old threads making a comeback lately?

Pass. This one and hotukdeals.com/tag…515 have both just popped up in my feeds within the last 24hours (first time back on in 2 days). Seems to be a lot of threads reviving for no real reason and more interestingly it's not new members that have just signed up to revive them either it's people who have contributed!
Astec123

Pass. This one and this one have both just popped up in my feeds within … Pass. This one and this one have both just popped up in my feeds within the last 24hours (first time back on in 2 days). Seems to be a lot of threads reviving for no real reason and more interestingly it's not new members that have just signed up to revive them either it's people who have contributed!

Just wow. It's almost as if people are specifically searching for those threads or they are ex members who have been banned before and got back into HUKD.

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Merchants