How to game share on PlayStation 4 between two consoles

Posted 26th Sep
Game sharing on PlayStation 4 is a fantastic opportunity for friends and family to save by splitting the cost of games down the middle and make use of the deal prices we already find. For example, a purchase of FIFA 20 would set you back ~£45, game sharing with a friend or family member would halve that cost. It's a simple process and I'll give you a step by step guide for the PS4 below.

A similar method is available for Xbox One. Click here to see that.

PlayStation 4
3300227.jpg
For the walkthrough of game sharing on a PlayStation 4 console, we'll assume you're at a friends house and you want to play your games library on their console.

Start by logging into your account on your friends PS4 console by using the 'Add User' feature on the PlayStation console. To see this feature, you will need to log out of any accounts currently logged into the system.

Once the new user account has been logged onto the system and the PlayStation Network you need access the settings tab on the consoles main menu, this can be accessed by pressing the Dualshock controllers 'X' button.

Settings menu
3300227.jpg
On the next screen you will see a list of settings options available to you. Scroll on down to the 'Account Management' option and again press the 'X' button on the Dualshock controller.

Settings
3300227.jpg
The following screen will give you various account management options on the PS4 console, scroll down again until you get to 'Activate as Your Primary PS4' and hit the 'X' button.

Activate as your primary PS4 console
3300227.jpg
We're now just one step away from access of your friends (or family members) entire PS4 digital library! Once you've jumped onto the 'Activate as Your Primary PS4' screen, simply hit 'Activate' and you're all set and good to go.

Activate
3300227.jpg
Your account is now fully accessible to your friend on their PlayStation 4, allowing you to play all the digital games you own on their console.

Assuming your friend wishes to return the favour, simply follow the above instructions on your console with their account. Now you can both enjoy cheap digital game sharing and enjoy each others PlayStation 4 digital library.

Credit to Digital Trends for the original images.

Please note: Game sharing could possibly be a violation of the PlayStation code of conduct.

Current PlayStation top-up offers and sales

All PS4, PS3 & Vita Discounts 18/9/19 @ PSN
Community Updates
Misc

Groups

Top comments
I do this myself as I have 2 PS4's and share games between them both and it works great.The only problem with this is you're making your friends PS4 your Primary PS4 so you can only make account changes etc. on their machine and not yours. I'd only recommend it if you're really good friends and trust them!!
SmokinAce726/09/2019 09:00

Does this work with PS+ and would both people be able to play online at …Does this work with PS+ and would both people be able to play online at the same time?

Yes - as an example, I pay for plus, my little brother has his PS4 set as my primary and can piggy back on my plus.

Essentially, the only downside to this is that if for any reason PSN goes down, or your internet, you are unable to play your games as it can't verify the license, you also can't play splitscreen online if that's you bag as the second player is no longer covered by your plus.

Primary PS4 - All users can play all games
Secondary PS4 - Only play games when signed in to account that purchased them.
70 Comments
Omg thanks Buzz
Well done your kind post is going to make Sony patch this!
Fyi you can also share the ps plus
Edited by: "Gumbon" 26th Sep
I do this myself as I have 2 PS4's and share games between them both and it works great.The only problem with this is you're making your friends PS4 your Primary PS4 so you can only make account changes etc. on their machine and not yours. I'd only recommend it if you're really good friends and trust them!!
Does this work with PS+ and would both people be able to play online at the same time?
Can you BOTH play Online with the SAME game at the SAME Time?

Does this work with PS+ and would both people be able to play online at …Does this work with PS+ and would both people be able to play online at the same time?

Yes, just not on the same account, only the non-primary user uses that account, the other person uses any other account they want to play the games.
Edited by: "SavageDonkey" 26th Sep
Thanks for this. Although if say I'd be playing career mode on Fifa 20 (when I get it tomorrow) - wouldn't my mate continue on my saved game and we wouldn't have separate career modes? Does that make sense?
tricky_tree198226/09/2019 10:38

Thanks for this. Although if say I'd be playing career mode on Fifa 20 …Thanks for this. Although if say I'd be playing career mode on Fifa 20 (when I get it tomorrow) - wouldn't my mate continue on my saved game and we wouldn't have separate career modes? Does that make sense?

He'd be playing on his own account mate, yours just needs to be on his system to access the game. Different profiles, different save game.
BuzzDuraband26/09/2019 10:40

He'd be playing on his own account mate, yours just needs to be on his …He'd be playing on his own account mate, yours just needs to be on his system to access the game. Different profiles, different save game.

Nice one mate 🏼

Yes - as an example, I pay for plus, my little brother has his PS4 set as my primary and can piggy back on my plus.

Essentially, the only downside to this is that if for any reason PSN goes down, or your internet, you are unable to play your games as it can't verify the license, you also can't play splitscreen online if that's you bag as the second player is no longer covered by your plus.

Primary PS4 - All users can play all games
Secondary PS4 - Only play games when signed in to account that purchased them.
Gumbon26/09/2019 08:31

Well done your kind post is going to make Sony patch this!Fyi you can also …Well done your kind post is going to make Sony patch this!Fyi you can also share the ps plus

Why would they patch this, game sharing has been there the whole time, it's not anything new just people are unaware as it's not really promoted. Sony want people to game share the more people playing the more paying.
shaddow26/09/2019 10:35

YES you CAN

Yeah, i've been doing this with my housemate for last 18 months. It does go mental every 3/6 months where it won't let you play anything unless you restore licenses, but not had an issue other than that
I'll have to try this out if I ever have a friend

Well done your kind post is going to make Sony patch this!Fyi you can also …Well done your kind post is going to make Sony patch this!Fyi you can also share the ps plus

Yeah because they don't already know about it

How do you share the ps plus?
I have a digital based ps4 question: Bought KH1+2 years ago so that's been installed for a while, then last month bought the complete KH collection, now I can't download 1/2 without it telling me to insert the disc, but if I own it digitally why is it forcing the use of the disc, do I have to uninstall the entire game then redownload the digital copy to avoid the disc gatekeeping?
Felicitous26/09/2019 11:10

I have a digital based ps4 question: Bought KH1+2 years ago so that's been …I have a digital based ps4 question: Bought KH1+2 years ago so that's been installed for a while, then last month bought the complete KH collection, now I can't download 1/2 without it telling me to insert the disc, but if I own it digitally why is it forcing the use of the disc, do I have to uninstall the entire game then redownload the digital copy to avoid the disc gatekeeping?

As far as I am aware, disc and digital versions carry different serial numbers, this is possibly the issue for it. So I think yes, that's probably the only solution.
Have been doing this for years now with my brother and it has been amazing! he's set his one up with a USA Ps account and we split the cost of the games + Ps online subscription. We've been using Revolut for the purchases!
I assume this is how people sell brand new releases cheaply on Ebay for less than half price of the actual cost?
You can do this on Xbox, and it works with all digital downloads, including Game Pass.
Can you not play their games on your own PS4 following the same steps
I've successfully game shared since launch with a good friend but was wondering if I could add a Turkish or American account on my console for flash sale purposes and not have to set it as primary as I don't want to stop sharing my main account with my friend. I'd want to then play those foreign titles on my UK account. Possible?
Nice guide

Drawbacks include:
  • The necessity of a PSN connection to play your own digital content - I always have a handful of disc games to play as a backup
  • Games saves don't get automatically backed up to the cloud on the secondary console
  • Remote Play works well locally but outside the home, it sometimes connects to the wrong console
  • I have to validate my payment card every time I want to buy anything on my console (including freebies)… I exclusively use the website for purchases now

The above being said, the plusses massively outweigh the minuses...
As long as you have adequate protection on your account (password required for purchases, 2-step authentication), I don't see a security issue with game sharing... If you fall out with your buddy, you set your own console as primary and change your password
I strongly recommend that you choose a buddy who has similar tastes in games as you, has the same setup as you (no point sharing PSVR games if they don't have a headset), plays games as often as you (so you buy the same games and benefit from the savings) and is willing to financially contribute.
seezyf26/09/2019 12:00

I've successfully game shared since launch with a good friend but was …I've successfully game shared since launch with a good friend but was wondering if I could add a Turkish or American account on my console for flash sale purposes and not have to set it as primary as I don't want to stop sharing my main account with my friend. I'd want to then play those foreign titles on my UK account. Possible?

You can game-share a secondary account but one of you (your buddy, as your console is primary for the secondary account) will have to play the games whilst logged in as the secondary account (so no trophies on their main account, different friends list).
leotheduck26/09/2019 10:42

Yes - as an example, I pay for plus, my little brother has his PS4 set as …Yes - as an example, I pay for plus, my little brother has his PS4 set as my primary and can piggy back on my plus.Essentially, the only downside to this is that if for any reason PSN goes down, or your internet, you are unable to play your games as it can't verify the license, you also can't play splitscreen online if that's you bag as the second player is no longer covered by your plus.Primary PS4 - All users can play all gamesSecondary PS4 - Only play games when signed in to account that purchased them.

Thanks, this is really useful for when I get my kids one this year haha.. I don't suppose its possible to share with a third console?

They really should have a family PS+ or something.
SmokinAce726/09/2019 12:11

Thanks, this is really useful for when I get my kids one this year haha.. …Thanks, this is really useful for when I get my kids one this year haha.. I don't suppose its possible to share with a third console? They really should have a family PS+ or something.

The 3rd console situation is a massively grey area. It's possible but not that useful as the third console will need to avoid connecting to the internet or it would lose the licenses. AFAIK...this may have changed of late but was how Brazilian companies were selling ps4's preloaded with tons of games a few years back.

Console 1 - Activate as Primary, disconnect from internet, remove all internet settings and ability for it to connect.

Deactivate all consoles through the browser on the SOE site (can be done once every six months).

Consoles 2 & 3 - Do as above.

Then you have 2 primaries (one networked, one not) as it cannot deactivate Console 1 as primary without it connecting. Plus your 3rd console which can play signed in.

Nahhhh it won’t. This is by design and is common knowledge!

It exists for two reasons:

1.) because people have a right to be able to play The digital games they own on both consoles, if they own two

2.) you shouldn’t have to buy a digital game twice to play it on two different profiles on the same console
cjhart1726/09/2019 10:50

Why would they patch this, game sharing has been there the whole time, …Why would they patch this, game sharing has been there the whole time, it's not anything new just people are unaware as it's not really promoted. Sony want people to game share the more people playing the more paying.

They don't want tommorow there psn sales to cut in half.

They could easily advertise it more if they wanted, it's more on the hush hush, they have never stated that this is a good way to go half with mates

It's mainly for households with 2 consoles
easytrade26/09/2019 11:02

How do you share the ps plus?

Same as the game, someone has ps plus and asling as you have there account set as primary on yours it won't bug you for it
Dryrain26/09/2019 11:28

I assume this is how people sell brand new releases cheaply on Ebay for …I assume this is how people sell brand new releases cheaply on Ebay for less than half price of the actual cost?

Yes and no, most of the time the games are hacked accounts so they cost them nothing, many ebayers get kicked off when people complain if the user realised and kick them off
As if people still have no idea about this it’s been this way all console gen, I actually game share with 2 people because 1 of them sometimes doesn’t buy the some games I want, now that’s more like news
Use this with US/Canada/Turkey/Indonesia accounts and games from most @joeydeacon 's deals and save loads of money.
As someone already mentioned - one of the drawbacks is that it wont automatically upload saves to the cloud.
Not a big deal in theory... Assuming you remember to do it yourself.
However be aware this means if you don't.. and your HDD dies... goodbye saved progress.
Gumbon26/09/2019 12:42

They don't want tommorow there psn sales to cut in half.They could easily …They don't want tommorow there psn sales to cut in half.They could easily advertise it more if they wanted, it's more on the hush hush, they have never stated that this is a good way to go half with matesIt's mainly for households with 2 consoles

Mate, it's been like this for donkeys years, they are fully aware. It's exactly the same as last gen, use to do it for XBLA games all the time.

Active PS4 = DRM to the console, can play offline and on other profiles.
Secondary PS4 = DRM to the profile (will need to be online at all times to play your bought games)

It's hardly a glitch or trick, it's also an inconvenience as some people would like to play offline.
Edited by: "TwentyTwo" 26th Sep
I thought once the other person activates the main one as a primary account the person who has the primary account can't play it unless they reactivate it.

Yes, you can both play the same game at the same time. Been doing it with CoD, Fifa, Battlefield for years and recently DayZ .
BTW - this also works on subscriptions such as PS Now. Well it was when I tried a while back.
I haven't tried EA Access yet though.
Thanks for this. Can anyone also advise if my son can play FIFA online on the PS4 when I am the PSPlus owner.

Everytime he tries it says he can't access it (I can get the message later when I'm home).
MyNameSucksBad26/09/2019 14:04

Yes, you can both play the same game at the same time. Been doing it with …Yes, you can both play the same game at the same time. Been doing it with CoD, Fifa, Battlefield for years and recently DayZ .

Great sounds even better that xbox family sharing
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants