How To Get A Student Discount When You’re Not A Student

Found 27th Nov 2017
Well if your purse or wallet is feeling a little too light without your old student card then don’t worry – we’re here to bring you a guide that gets everyone a student discount with an NUS card, even if your student days are well and truly behind you. Here’s how…

What is an NUS card?NUS, also known as the National Union of Students, are a body who champion students and give them the necessary resources to create a fairer and more enjoyable education experience. In addition to representing student interests and fighting their corner in times of need, they also have a magical little card, called an NUS Extra card which gives students a huge discount on a wide range of online and in-store shops, experiences and restaurants.

How do I apply for an NUS card when I’m not a student?Traditionally only students in college or university would be able to claim an NUS card. But thanks to online and vocational courses becoming more and more popular, the range of people able to apply for this little plastic prize has increased. And now there’s a way you can get one too in just two easy steps.

Step 1:Sign up for a FREE course with Shaw Academy, which include topics like Social Media, Photography, Beauty or Nutrition. You’ll get access to some seriously great tutors and material, you’ll learn a useful skill AND it’ll help you in your quest to get a student discount!

Step 2: Once you’re all signed up to your Shaw Academy course you’ll need to head over to the NUS Extra site to sign up for your card. Sign up with your email address (we recommend using the same one you used to sign up to Shaw Academy with) and then put your place of study as Shaw Academy.

The next step will ask for educational details. Make sure you put your course starting date as today and your course ending date a year from now, even if your course doesn’t last a year. Your course level and discipline will both need to be “vocational/professional“.

You’ll then need to upload a photo of yourself which will be printed on to the card, and choose which card you’d like to purchase (1, 2 or 3 years). You’ll be asked for a student number to confirm your student status. Shaw Academy don’t give out student numbers when you sign up to their course, but we’ve seen people put their email address (the one they used to sign up to the course for) or their date of birth in and both seem to work.

Once you’ve confirmed and paid for your card, you can sit back, relax and wait for your confirmation emails to whizz in to your inbox (one to say your card is being reviewed, another to say it’s on the way). Simple!

How much does an NUS card cost?It’s £12 for one year, £22 for two years and £32 for 3 years. It might seem a lot at first, but when you could save 10% on your weekly shop or half-price meals out, you’ll make the money back in no time at all!

Where can I use my NUS card?The NUS card offers some fantastic discounts both online and in-store at big-name companies like 40% off at Pizza Express, 10% at the Co-Op, 10% off at ASOS and 25% off at Odeon. Here’s a huge list of other places that also accept the NUS card. You can hand your card over to the cashier at the till if redeeming your discount in person, or you can log in to your online NUS account/use the NUS app to claim money off online. You should also be able to use this card pretty much everywhere a student discount is offered such as certain attractions, some local transport, shops that aren’t listed on the NUS website. If in doubt, ask at the till whether they accept student discount and flash your card to see if you could save some money.

2842185-6KS1s.jpg2842185-4Qg77.jpg
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
How to cheat lie and defraud. Excellent thread.
37 Comments
psychobitchfromhell6 m ago

No it isn't. It's to the letter, Shaw Academy is recognised by NUS.

Maybe spend your time doing something more useful, than raining on OP's parade because you're bored. It's Cyber Monday, I'm sure there are some deals out there. Somewhere...
MSK.17 m ago

No it isn't. It's to the letter, Shaw Academy is recognised by NUS.Maybe …No it isn't. It's to the letter, Shaw Academy is recognised by NUS.Maybe spend your time doing something more useful, than raining on OP's parade because you're bored. It's Cyber Monday, I'm sure there are some deals out there. Somewhere...

How to get a student discount when you're not a student. What about that is not a lie or a cheat? Sure you can do it but is it fair?If people want to do it, they will do it regardless of what I think. Last I heard though, it wasn't against the law to express an opinion.
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

How to get a student discount when you're not a student. What about that …How to get a student discount when you're not a student. What about that is not a lie or a cheat? Sure you can do it but is it fair?If people want to do it, they will do it regardless of what I think. Last I heard though, it wasn't against the law to express an opinion.

The answer was become a student.
MSK.1 m ago

The answer was become a student.

But not study......
psychobitchfromhell3 m ago

But not study......

No one said not study. OP even said:

"You’ll get access to some seriously great tutors and material, you’ll learn a useful skill "

But you keep making stuff up because it suits you.

Even if you were a full time student, the NUS wouldn't judge your application by how much effort you put into your course.
MSK.6 m ago

No one said not study. OP even said:"You’ll get access to some seriously g …No one said not study. OP even said:"You’ll get access to some seriously great tutors and material, you’ll learn a useful skill "But you keep making stuff up because it suits you.Even if you were a full time student, the NUS wouldn't judge your application by how much effort you put into your course.

Op said how to get a student discount when you're not a student. That is the title of the post. I'm not making anything up.
bo0td9 m ago

Just like most students I know then.

I have a masters degree. Can't disagree with you there. Back in my day though you didn't get discounts. Back in my day you didn't have computers and discount sites either.
In my day it was free. Never made much use of it tho.

Thing is the discount only works with Amazon prime and the free trail only lasts six months for 5% off so you'd better order a lot in those six months or something really big to get your £12 back plus the cash for the photos taken and remember to stop its auto enrollment after the trail.

Imho it's not really going to save you much if your a savvy shopper who uses camel camel camel alot you'd get stuff the same.

The McDonald's isn't ba discount but a free item on certain days if you buy particular set meals from a list.

Kew gardens offer like £1 off entry incidentally i noticed their prices are going to rocket come February so if anyone wants to go there do so now before it jumps from £12 to £18
MSK.2 h, 24 m ago

No one said not study. OP even said:"You’ll get access to some seriously g …No one said not study. OP even said:"You’ll get access to some seriously great tutors and material, you’ll learn a useful skill "But you keep making stuff up because it suits you.Even if you were a full time student, the NUS wouldn't judge your application by how much effort you put into your course.

If you don't like me than that is fair enough. We are all different. I do have cats though so surely I can't be that bad. I do however take exception at the idea I make stuff up because it suits me. What have I made up? I've lived my life and as far as I know I have portrayed it accurately. Not sure what you know that I have made up and how it could possibly suit me. I'd be happy to clarify.
deleted265520
psychobitchfromhell45 m ago

If you don't like me than that is fair enough. We are all different. I do …If you don't like me than that is fair enough. We are all different. I do have cats though so surely I can't be that bad. I do however take exception at the idea I make stuff up because it suits me. What have I made up? I've lived my life and as far as I know I have portrayed it accurately. Not sure what you know that I have made up and how it could possibly suit me. I'd be happy to clarify.

You're kicking off about something that doesn't need kicking off about.

MSK is right. The OP instructs you how to become a student.

Imagine if people got worked up about tax avoidance as you just have about student discount lol... we'd actually get somewhere with the true parasites of society.
Why pay for a course when you dont have to. Say your doing english or Spanish classes at your local council adult education center
So th
DT8927th Nov 2017

You're kicking off about something that doesn't need kicking off about.MSK …You're kicking off about something that doesn't need kicking off about.MSK is right. The OP instructs you how to become a student.Imagine if people got worked up about tax avoidance as you just have about student discount lol... we'd actually get somewhere with the true parasites of society.

So the thread how to get a student discount without being a student is something of a misnomer then.? I'm not kicking off, I'm just saying that pretending you are a student when you are not is unethical. If you are happy pretending to be a student by signing up to a Mickey mouse pretend degree, then as I have previously stated, fine. I am entitled to express my opinion.
Misslovely18 m ago

Why pay for a course when you dont have to. Say your doing english or …Why pay for a course when you dont have to. Say your doing english or Spanish classes at your local council adult education center

My nearest one is in Palm Beach, USA.
theadulteducationcenter.com/
deleted265520
psychobitchfromhell28 m ago

So th So the thread how to get a student discount without being a student …So th So the thread how to get a student discount without being a student is something of a misnomer then.? I'm not kicking off, I'm just saying that pretending you are a student when you are not is unethical. If you are happy pretending to be a student by signing up to a Mickey mouse pretend degree, then as I have previously stated, fine. I am entitled to express my opinion.

If NUS recognises it as a course for students then that should be good enough for you.

Yes, you're entitled to your opinion but I am also entitled to say you are moaning for the sake of moaning.
Segata-Sanshiro4 h, 58 m ago

In my day it was free. Never made much use of it tho.Thing is the discount …In my day it was free. Never made much use of it tho.Thing is the discount only works with Amazon prime and the free trail only lasts six months for 5% off so you'd better order a lot in those six months or something really big to get your £12 back plus the cash for the photos taken and remember to stop its auto enrollment after the trail.Imho it's not really going to save you much if your a savvy shopper who uses camel camel camel alot you'd get stuff the same.The McDonald's isn't ba discount but a free item on certain days if you buy particular set meals from a list.Kew gardens offer like £1 off entry incidentally i noticed their prices are going to rocket come February so if anyone wants to go there do so now before it jumps from £12 to £18

Clothes shopping will save you the most tbf
Segata-Sanshiro8 h, 9 m ago

In my day it was free. Never made much use of it tho.Thing is the discount …In my day it was free. Never made much use of it tho.Thing is the discount only works with Amazon prime and the free trail only lasts six months for 5% off so you'd better order a lot in those six months or something really big to get your £12 back plus the cash for the photos taken and remember to stop its auto enrollment after the trail.Imho it's not really going to save you much if your a savvy shopper who uses camel camel camel alot you'd get stuff the same.The McDonald's isn't ba discount but a free item on certain days if you buy particular set meals from a list.Kew gardens offer like £1 off entry incidentally i noticed their prices are going to rocket come February so if anyone wants to go there do so now before it jumps from £12 to £18

10% off at co=op
20% off at Paul
10% off at maplin

amazon prime £39 a year
my nus extra fraudulent card paid for itself in a couple of weeks

guess i will not be so happy when i am arrested by the fraud squad
have to say its great fun "pretending you are a student when you are not it is apparently unethical but as a big Disney fan i love my Mickey mouse pretend degree"
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 27th Nov 2017
psychobitchfromhell2 h, 20 m ago

So th So the thread how to get a student discount without being a student …So th So the thread how to get a student discount without being a student is something of a misnomer then.? I'm not kicking off, I'm just saying that pretending you are a student when you are not is unethical. If you are happy pretending to be a student by signing up to a Mickey mouse pretend degree, then as I have previously stated, fine. I am entitled to express my opinion.

No the thread is how to get an NUS card when you are not a student. Then inside the thread it advises you how to become a student on a course that’s recognised by NUS for free. Then you are actually a student.

Like all students you can choose to study or not, but you would still be a student and be eligible for your NUS card
Original Poster Banned
Hey Guys .

I have tested the above and I placed the order too . Hopefully it works for all.
32580010-sxDKD.jpg32580010-2pHvX.jpg32580010-dyivr.jpg
mattmerch5 h, 57 m ago

10% off at co=op20% off at Paul10% off at maplinamazon prime £39 a year my …10% off at co=op20% off at Paul10% off at maplinamazon prime £39 a year my nus extra fraudulent card paid for itself in a couple of weeks guess i will not be so happy when i am arrested by the fraud squad have to say its great fun "pretending you are a student when you are not it is apparently unethical but as a big Disney fan i love my Mickey mouse pretend degree"

Doesn't 10% off co op and maplin just make them the same as cheaper shops\supermarkets and online electronics places
Have to say I agree with Error other ways to get free prime that PBH might not like....
The Co-op here is a slightly glorified garage
Never bought anything from Maplin never heard of Paul.
Wongy11046 m ago

Have to say I agree with Error other ways to get free prime that PBH might …Have to say I agree with Error other ways to get free prime that PBH might not like....The Co-op here is a slightly glorified garage Never bought anything from Maplin never heard of Paul.

have to say one or two people find this deal useful but like anything it will not suit everyone
the co=op 10% stacks on top of the co=op loyalty card another 5% never found any other super market as cheap for cushelle toilet rolls 9 rolls for 2.70 + 5% cashback plenty of bargains in the co-ops round here
and a few people i know use amazon prime so they found it quite useful
Edited by: "Infractionboi" 27th Nov 2017
mattmerch3 m ago

have to say one or two people find this deal useful but like anything it …have to say one or two people find this deal useful but like anything it will not suit everyone the co=op 10% stacks on top of the co=op loyalty card another 5% never found any other super market as cheap for cushelle toilet rolls 9 rolls for 2.70 + 5% cashback plenty of bargains in the co-ops round here

Well indeed only just started using my membership card
did I mention I won a comp with the co-op yet ?
Op didnt last long.
By far the biggest saving you'll incur, by becoming a student, is you don't pay Council Tax.

I would encourage anyone not to abuse this, as the fines and a criminal record will ruin you
deleted5795927th Nov 2017

OK, confused?

No worries took me about three weeks to work it out.
deleted5795927th Nov 2017

OK, confused?

Wongy11027th Nov 2017

you could have told them

You can change your username now every 6 months , we really dont know who most people on here now and in a few months they can change them all again
sudh_na-1174157098705663218 h, 13 m ago

Hey Guys .I have tested the above and I placed the order too . …Hey Guys .I have tested the above and I placed the order too . Hopefully it works for all.[Image] [Image] [Image]

You said The Shaw Academy NOT The Oldershaw Academy???

Just so that you know The Oldershaw Academy is not accepted by NUS for signing up.
If you get the post grad NUS card, you don't need to sign up for any courses.........

If you also get an edu email (free guides online or buy one from eBay for £2), you can sign up with Student Beans.
Wongy11013 h, 28 m ago

I said it in the thread i was in at the time when i discovered the change your username every six months option, when i was looking at the settings on this good forsaken new look site. And a couple of others when i was accused of making a new account
Segata-Sanshiro13 m ago

I said it in the thread i was in at the time when i discovered the change …I said it in the thread i was in at the time when i discovered the change your username every six months option, when i was looking at the settings on this good forsaken new look site. And a couple of others when i was accused of making a new account

As it happens not everybody reads every thread.
A note in your profile like shauny has might be an idea ?
My card has more than paid for itself - £350 off a new iMac, 6 months free prime and £39 a year after that, 10% off in the Coop, cheaper tickets for the cricket and more.

Plus I'm also writing a story book for children, although I haven't got that far with it yet
deleted5795928th Nov 2017

So I take it your Error or you were?

Yes, same profile better name
Shaw Academy is no longer on the NUS list. Every time I try to enter Shaw Academy the only relevant option is The Oldershaw Academy.

Any ideas?
How can i get ac.uk email account? Anyone
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants