How to get audio connection out of this Dell monitor?

Posted 2nd Aug 2021
I would like to stick a spare Firestick into a monitor as a screen when the kids come over to watch cartoons so the main tv is free for the adults.
The monitor is Dell P2417H. I can't see any obvious audio connection so would appreciate any input thanks.
Community Updates
Ask
New Comment

19 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    It might be really helpful if you post a picture of the back of the monitor showing the various input and output connections it has.
    No audio support on that display.
    Deedie02/08/2021 10:45

How do you connect the firestick audio to that?

You dont. The firestick sends the sound already via HDMI, then the soundbar connects to the monitor via USB to play the sound from the monitor. Sorry ignore me, it actually requires a 3.5mm line in, the usb is only for power. So wont solve your needs. (edited)
    cecilmcroberts02/08/2021 10:48

You dont. The firestick sends the sound already via HDMI, then the …You dont. The firestick sends the sound already via HDMI, then the soundbar connects to the monitor via USB to play the sound from the monitor. Sorry ignore me, it actually requires a 3.5mm line in, the usb is only for power. So wont solve your needs.

USB ports on monitors are typically hubs and not connected to the monitor's processor. (edited)
    Sounds like it would be just simpler to pick up a cheap LCD TV as an alternative - rather than use a piece of tech never designed to output audio and attach more 'bits' to it?

I have sourced small used TV's in the past from Gumtree/Ebay local etc. Last one was a 19" with built-in DVD for £10. Remote was a bit rough though. Mind you, also scored a bargain 32" Panny TV for £1!
    Bluetooth through the firestick, can get a sound bar or speakers
    You should be able to Bluetooth onto a speaker from fire stick?
    Options seem limited to either bluetooth as mentioned or perhaps a USB speaker/soundbar directly into the monitor?
    I'm surprised there isn't a 3.5mm jack on there.
    Author
    Haircut_10002/08/2021 09:34

It might be really helpful if you post a picture of the back of the …It might be really helpful if you post a picture of the back of the monitor showing the various input and output connections it has.

45309150-Nve2m.jpg
    cecilmcroberts02/08/2021 09:45

This should solve it. …This should solve it. https://www.dell.com/en-uk/shop/dell-stereo-soundbar-ac511m/apd/520-aany/home-theater

How do you connect the firestick audio to that?
    cecilmcroberts02/08/2021 10:48

You dont. The firestick sends the sound already via HDMI, then the …You dont. The firestick sends the sound already via HDMI, then the soundbar connects to the monitor via USB to play the sound from the monitor. Sorry ignore me, it actually requires a 3.5mm line in, the usb is only for power. So wont solve your needs.

That's what I thought.

Bluetooth speaker/soundbar is the only option
    As said above you might be better off just looking on Gumtree or Facebook marketplace for a cheap 21” to 32” tv to use with the Firestick. You’ll probably be able to pick something up for less than £30.
    Will something like that solve the problem ? (but you'll use the VGA port and probably loose the FHD because of content protection, if it's implemented).
    45310637-7sNBV.jpgaliexpress.com/ite…b-1
    Like others have said just get a cheap Bluetooth speaker. Can’t imaging the kids will be bothered about the quality to a sub £10 one should do the trick
    Author
    Ok so it looks to go forward I need to be conscience of number of power sockets required.

x1 monitor
    x1 firestick
    x1 BT speaker
    x1 extension lead
    Will a bt speaker connected to the firestick cause sync issues
    Got a spare Echo Dot lying about? This can be synced with a Fire stick for sound. In fact with 2 Echo Dots you can have stereo, although the initial paring can be a faff.
's avatar
Top Merchants