How to get GAME to beat CEX trade-in prices?

Found 15th Feb 2015
So I'm sure it's pretty well known that GAME claim to beat trade-in prices on other stores within a mile radius so I went in to ask about it since I'm looking to trade some games in for MH4U. They said I'd need a receipt from the shop to prove it, but CEX wouldn't give me one. Tried telling them they wouldn't and even pulled them up on my phone but they refused to do it, receipt or no go.

Pretty ridiculous if you ask me? How can they claim to beat it if they require proof that no one can get?
Community Updates
10 Comments
when ive done it, at game the person goes in the back room an checks online, no receipt necessary.
Trogador

...Pretty ridiculous if you ask me? How can they claim to beat it if they … ...Pretty ridiculous if you ask me? How can they claim to beat it if they require proof that no one can get?

Good marketing.

Alternatively, you could always gain a price for your trade-in item(s) from CeX's web site, then print a copy of an appropriate page with the required details, or of an e-mail confirmation from CeX.

If that fails to impress, don't use GAME & keep your trade-in price offer at CeX.
eternaldragonuk

when ive done it, at game the person goes in the back room an checks … when ive done it, at game the person goes in the back room an checks online, no receipt necessary.

same for me, or just go in there with the Web page or the trade in prices.
My store always accepts a print out of the price from the CEX website. Lately they also asked if I can show them the price match live in my smartphone. Of course CEX won't give you proof. The GAME staff shouldn't have advised you this.
most of the time the game staff themselves bring up the trade in price on their own phones, sounds like the staff in your shop just didn't want to take any trade-ins
Agree with the above comments, usually they ask for a print out or will either check themselves/get you to show them on a smartphone.
Sometimes game take my word for it, sometimes they pop in the back and check, last time they came back with a printout, what they did was add all the items to the basket on the cex website and then printed it.
I've never, ever had any problems with them, and more often than not I don't lose money on games ( I buy new games cheap courtesy of HUKD, play them, get bored/dissapointed quickly and then trade em in)
My local just asks me to show the price on my phone. Always get £1 on top for each item. Don't accpet £1 on the total, which I've heard a few stores try to do. Only time I had a issue was with a new employee knowing the policy.
I used to have loads of problems in the midlands stores until I reported GAME to the ASA.

I have to say Exeter branch are pretty good... West Brom is deplorable, I'd rather never play games again than set foot in there.
Like everyone else has said, I just show them the price in my phone on the cex website and that's enough.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions