Expired

How to get Hollister clothes a lot cheaper via the US website

Found 4th Jul 2011
Just thought I'd share my experience in the hope that others can benefit.

First, I used a webiste called Shield Exchange....
shieldexchange.com/
Seems very safe and trustworthy for sending payment over.
They offer a free trial, so you can only use it once. (unless with a different email address.)

Tried some other web proxies, but they were slow and would not allow me to add items to the basket.

The cost of delivery is in $, though the same as the £ price in UK.

When the package arrived in the UK (about a week later), I got a message from Customs asking for import duties of £60.

I emailed Hollister through their website and told them that I was being charged this even though I had paid for it from their site (I said I had ordered whilst on Holiday in USA). They then asked for a copy of the invoice from Customs and refunded me the money.

I ended up getting about £300 worth of clothes for about £175, so well worth the bother if you want to buy a few items. The American site regularly offers 30%, 40% or 50% off various lines also.

Hope this helps someone. Good luck.
Community Updates
MiscUsWeb HostingClothes
11 Comments
Or don't scam a company and pay the £60 and still have it over £50 cheaper?
I order quite a bit from the states and mostly stick to the stores which offer DDP (delivery duties paid) at the checkout so never hit with surprising customs charges when they get to the UK
softpurple

I order quite a bit from the states and mostly stick to the stores which … I order quite a bit from the states and mostly stick to the stores which offer DDP (delivery duties paid) at the checkout so never hit with surprising customs charges when they get to the UK

What sort of stuff? Is there much of a saving to be had?
t0mm

Or don't scam a company and pay the £60 and still have it over £50 c … Or don't scam a company and pay the £60 and still have it over £50 cheaper?

How have I scammed them? They charge delivery to the UK covering duties.

If anything they are scamming us by not selling from the UK thereby charging horrendous delivery charges.
Edited by: "Stubeauty" 4th Jul 2011
so u lied. nice
magicbeans

so u lied. nice

Where have I lied, apart from saying I bought online whilst on holiday. Is that a crime?
Stubeauty

Where have I lied, apart from saying I bought online whilst on holiday. … Where have I lied, apart from saying I bought online whilst on holiday. Is that a crime?

yes: u lied to avoid paying tax.
t0mm

Or don't scam a company and pay the £60 and still have it over £50 c … Or don't scam a company and pay the £60 and still have it over £50 cheaper?

IMPORTANT: THE RECIPIENT OF THE ORDER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY IMPORT … IMPORTANT: THE RECIPIENT OF THE ORDER WILL BE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY IMPORT DUTIES OR TAXES CHARGED BY THE RECIPIENT'S COUNTRY AND CARRIER-RELATED FEES. THESE ADDITIONAL CHARGES WILL BE COLLECTED FROM THE RECIPIENT BY OUR SHIPPING CARRIER AT THE TIME OF DELIVERY

I had a look and it quite clearly states:

So advising anyone else that this will work for them is not a good idea.
Edited by: "softpurple" 4th Jul 2011
Think you lot may be misunderstanding. I had paid shipping and then got charged customs, so emailed them and the reply was....

Hey xxx,
Thank you for contacting us regarding your recent charges. Your merchandise total was $236.84 and your shipping charge was $60.00. This equals out to $296.84. Please go ahead and pay the customs fees and then fax/email your customs
invoice to us at xxxxxxxxx and we’ll credit the cost of the customs fees to your Visa ending in xxxx.
We hope you receive your Big Dume soon.
Carrie

They then emailed this..

Hey xxxt,

Thanks for bringing this to our attention. We have gone ahead and credited $100.56 (£62.18) to the card you used on order #xxxxxxx.

We hope to see you shopping at hollisterco.com again soon.

Customer Service
Hollister Co.
Customer Service
Hollister Co.
softpurple

I had a look and it quite clearly states:So advising anyone else that … I had a look and it quite clearly states:So advising anyone else that this will work for them is not a good idea.

May be that I got lucky then??
magicbeans

yes: u lied to avoid paying tax.

How did I lie to avoid paying tax?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants