Groups

How to get ITV player/hub on sony tv

It would appear for some reason my tv won't allow you to get ITV player/hub to watch ITV on demand and it is common problem, but I do get iplayer, amazon prime etc. I am with Sky TV and I am also with amazon prime. I wondered if there was a way to get ITV some other way through sky or amazon if if there was something really cheap I could plug in which would has no rental charge with would give ITV hub? I must point out I have a very old sky box not plus or hd etc. It would also appear I don't have a youtube app/feature to easily run youtube this would also be very useful.

I have a Sony Bravia KDL40HX753BU 40-inch Widescreen Full HD 1080p 3D SMART LED TV with Freeview HD (New for 2012)

16 Comments

I had the same problem.
    The only way around it at the time was to install the ITV add on on kodi.

NOWTV boxes are really cheap

Banned

Sony disable all their ondemand stuff after 3 years, good luck with that.

Original Poster

howdiefellas

what does that mean?

If you're not looking to ditch sky, renegotiate and get a sky+HD box if you can. It'll mean a new 12 month minimum term and they are probably only interested in selling sky q now, but that might suit you better. Alternatively get a cheap sky+HD box off eBay and swap card over. Otherwise, as jco83 mentioned above, a cheap now tv box has BBC iPlayer, itv hub, all4, 5od and YouTube.

Original Poster

jazz81

If you're not looking to ditch sky, renegotiate and get a sky+HD box if … If you're not looking to ditch sky, renegotiate and get a sky+HD box if you can. It'll mean a new 12 month minimum term and they are probably only interested in selling sky q now, but that might suit you better. Alternatively get a cheap sky+HD box off eBay and swap card over. Otherwise, as jco83 mentioned above, a cheap now tv box has BBC iPlayer, itv hub, all4, 5od and YouTube.

I think I am prefering the roku or nowtv box options. I fancy the sharp tv offer from tesco if I go for that I can pay £8 otherwise it's £18 for ruko or a nowtv box for £20 or (£49 if I want to pause tv).

At the end of the day which ever one I go for I I don;t want to be buying extras/tv packages I will be watching what comes for free/as standard. But it seems with both they don't seem to make to clear cut what you get for free and what you have to pay i.e what the bare minium is, they seem to not want you to find that till you've bought the item and feel stuck.Some of the reviews on now tv website seem to be suggest they have left sky for now tv as it gets their desired sky channels but I'm guessing their not free maybe just sky news is free, so really pushing whats truthful ...surely the quote should say "I have left sky to pay for a more flexible of demand contract with now tv, I still pay but I pay monthly and I'm not held in an annual contract"

potatokid

I think I am prefering the roku or nowtv box options. I fancy the sharp … I think I am prefering the roku or nowtv box options. I fancy the sharp tv offer from tesco if I go for that I can pay £8 otherwise it's £18 for ruko or a nowtv box for £20 or (£49 if I want to pause tv).At the end of the day which ever one I go for I I don;t want to be buying extras/tv packages I will be watching what comes for free/as standard. But it seems with both they don't seem to make to clear cut what you get for free and what you have to pay i.e what the bare minium is, they seem to not want you to find that till you've bought the item and feel stuck.Some of the reviews on now tv website seem to be suggest they have left sky for now tv as it gets their desired sky channels but I'm guessing their not free maybe just sky news is free, so really pushing whats truthful ...surely the quote should say "I have left sky to pay for a more flexible of demand contract with now tv, I still pay but I pay monthly and I'm not held in an annual contract"

You can get a NowTV box, 1st generation (white), or 2nd generation (black), for cheap. You don't need to use the paid subscription services for the Sky channel packages, you can just use the box for the free catch-up services including ITV
    The 2nd gen black box has been available for £9.99 previously, and that came with a 2 or 3 month paid subscription code, so you could well find someone selling on a box by itself for less.

howdiefellas

I think you may be wrong there. I've had a Sony tv for a number of years and watch BBC iPlayer daily. Have never been able to watch ITV player though.

Sony disable all their ondemand stuff after 3 years, good luck with that

It's longer than 3 years from model release but its TRUE they definitely stop the services in order for you to upgrade your future proof TV.

Anyone even thinking of buying a Sony should do a search Sony customer complaints to get an insight on how bad this once good brand has become.

Just checked and the last models to have I player removed was September 2016 and most the models listed on that were released 2010 to 2011 so it looks like 5 years or so
    Edited by: "aabs" 20th Nov 2016

aabs

It's longer than 3 years from model release but its TRUE they definitely … It's longer than 3 years from model release but its TRUE they definitely stop the services in order for you to upgrade your future proof TV.Anyone even thinking of buying a Sony should do a search Sony customer complaints to get an insight on how bad this once good brand has become.Just checked and the last models to have I player removed was September 2016 and most the models listed on that were released 2010 to 2011 so it looks like 5 years or so

​i think this does happen but not after three years, its usually after the app in question gets upgraded to a point where the tv O/S cant handle it. Same issue you would get with a phone or tablet

I can't watch it either on a new Panasonic TV, signed up for Sky on Friday for the 75% off + £100 credit & no contract offer, it is nice to have it back.

zackariah

​i think this does happen but not after three years, its usually after t … ​i think this does happen but not after three years, its usually after the app in question gets upgraded to a point where the tv O/S cant handle it. Same issue you would get with a phone or tablet

Yup. Or the other issue is people not updating firmware which was updated to handled said app update etc.

I've a Sony Bravia KDL32EX603U in a bedroom which is from 2010 and no issues with any app on it including iplayer and Amazon Prime.

I also have a Sony Android TV which would totally throw this idea right out the window.

Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 20th Nov 2016

Banned

zackariah

point where the tv O/S cant handle it. Same issue you would get with a … point where the tv O/S cant handle it. Same issue you would get with a phone or tablet

That's what they would have you believe, but why should 1080i video stop working on your tv/blu ray player when it used to? Sony just stop pushing the updates because they don't get any money from it any more. A class action law suit should make them refund a part of the original purchase as it no longer does what they described.

I won't be buying sony again.

Edited by: "howdiefellas" 20th Nov 2016

I lost iPlayer on my Sony in September which was annoying. Firestick fills the void now, the TV itself is about 6 years old

howdiefellas

That's what they would have you believe, but why should 1080i video stop … That's what they would have you believe, but why should 1080i video stop working on your tv/blu ray player when it used to? Sony just stop pushing the updates because they don't get any money from it any more. A class action law suit should make them refund a part of the original purchase as it no longer does what they described.I won't be buying sony again.

the firmware can't handle the app not the image, i dont know the technicalities of this but I am just saying it is the same as when Apple say your Iphone 5 wont handle (insert ios version here) at first its probably a lie but after a certain amount of years its true, people accept it with there phones, tablets, pc', consoles etc but not there TV. If you have an issue with it thats fine, but be even handed. I dont like planned obsolescence but now its everywhere.
    Edited by: "zackariah" 20th Nov 2016
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Magazine competitions - Issue 39 @ tvchoicemagazine.co.uk88
      2. mail on sunday comp - win a £3,000 thomas cook gift e-card44
      3. WIN AN UNFORGETTABLE TRIP TO SAN FRANCISCO11
      4. LG G6 International [email protected] droidauthority22

See more discussions