How to get laptop to boot from DVD/CD drive?

Found 23rd Sep 2017
Hi guys,
my sisters laptop was running slow and it's only 3-4 months old.The Spec of the laptop is decent, but running slower than what she was expecting it to run.
It does come with all the rubbish bloatware you get on them and I deleted most of them,but she still was not happy with the speed.She was going to send it back,but I suggested buying a new SSD for it.
I've added the SSD and then when I install a Windows disc, I can't get it to boot from the disc.Any ideas why & if I have to create a path,then would need a little guidance.
The laptop recognises the DVD drive and obviously the SSD.
I've even used an external DVD drive and still never gave me the boot from disc option.

Asus X556U
Community Updates
Ask
14 Comments
[IMG]32068253-TRHGH.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]32068253-OwV1B.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]32068253-MzOJy.jpg[/IMG]
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 23rd Sep 2017
You are using an OS that supports efi and not some legacy OS that needs legacy mode enabled to boot ?
kester7610 m ago

You are using an OS that supports efi and not some legacy OS that needs …You are using an OS that supports efi and not some legacy OS that needs legacy mode enabled to boot ?

That's all double dutch to me :-)
I'm using a genuine windows 7 Home Premium disc and would guess it would work on a PC or a Laptop?
WheresMeNuts10 m ago

That's all double dutch to me :-)I'm using a genuine windows 7 Home …That's all double dutch to me :-)I'm using a genuine windows 7 Home Premium disc and would guess it would work on a PC or a Laptop?

You'll encounter several issues trying to install Windows 7 on a new machine even if this one can be solved, stick with the Windows 10 that it came with. Microsoft these days offers the installer for download so you don't even need to find an install disc:
microsoft.com/en-…s10
How do I find the Product key from this laptop as with most laptops these days, they don't come with a disc or even the Product key sticker?
I'm guessing I'll need that to install this Windows 10.

As I can't get online with her laptop to download this, would I download on my laptop to a USB pen or Disc?
Edited by: "WheresMeNuts" 23rd Sep 2017
WheresMeNuts10 m ago

How do I find the Product key from this laptop as with most laptops these …How do I find the Product key from this laptop as with most laptops these days, they don't come with a disc or even the Product key sticker?I'm guessing I'll need that to install this Windows 10

It's typically recorded in the laptop's BIOS and will be picked up automatically by the Windows 10 installer.

You can download it on any machine.
WheresMeNuts48 m ago

How do I find the Product key from this laptop as with most laptops these …How do I find the Product key from this laptop as with most laptops these days, they don't come with a disc or even the Product key sticker?I'm guessing I'll need that to install this Windows 10.As I can't get online with her laptop to download this, would I download on my laptop to a USB pen or Disc?

Try speccy, piriform.com/speccy Its very good. it will find your product key for you.
Edited by: "webtrawler" 23rd Sep 2017
webtrawler1 h, 13 m ago

Try speccy, https://www.piriform.com/speccy Its very good. it will …Try speccy, https://www.piriform.com/speccy Its very good. it will find your product key for you.

Now with free malware on every update!
Your win key should be automatically be picked up in your BIOS. You can use ShowKeyPlus to display your windows key click.
Edited by: "RiverDragon8" 23rd Sep 2017
i wonder if you noticed the clues in your pictures

1, the link to "boot priority"
2. the boot tab
3 the abilty to disable the fast boot option.
?
maddog, it does not allow to boot with any of those options.

I've downloaded the Media Creation Tool on to USB and then have it plugged in to the laptop.
As you can see in the photos, it shows the USB,but can't seem to have an option to open the Media Creation Tool for it to install Windows?

[IMG]32075659-WIt8F.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]32075659-aeXiD.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]32075659-PnTs5.jpg[/IMG]
Just putting the tool on the disk won't do anything.

You need to run the media creation tool on another computer, you can then point it to the USB stick and it'll create installation media out of it.
When I try and open it on my laptop it looks like it's ready to install Windows 10 on it?
I'll try again tonight after work thanks bud.
EndlessWaves23rd Sep

You'll encounter several issues trying to install Windows 7 on a new …You'll encounter several issues trying to install Windows 7 on a new machine even if this one can be solved, stick with the Windows 10 that it came with. Microsoft these days offers the installer for download so you don't even need to find an install disc:https://www.microsoft.com/en-gb/software-download/windows10

The download tool worked. Thanks bud and thanks everyone.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants