How to get Nintendo DS online?

Can anyone tell me what I would need to play my NDS online against other players around the world?

Many Thanks

31 Comments

The game will say on the case if it's for internet,I know Mario Kart is and 42 Alltime Classics.
Ours is connected to our BT wireless hub,I wasn't 1 who did it but my partner did it,i think he inputs the hub number or something.

We not bought anything additional to get it online.

Original Poster

So you can basically go online with any standard NDS as long as you have wireless net?

Banned

Bane17;2227821

So you can basically go online with any standard NDS as long as you have … So you can basically go online with any standard NDS as long as you have wireless net?

yes, as long as the game is a wi fi game, to browse the net you will need the nintendo ds browser, but just to play games all you need is game and wireless

Bane17;2227821

So you can basically go online with any standard NDS as long as you have … So you can basically go online with any standard NDS as long as you have wireless net?

Yeh ours is regular DS not lite.
You don't need to buy anything else.

Original Poster

That's great - I take it you configure the DS on the settings screen (sorry it's for my girlfriend and I haven't got it in front of me)

Bane17;2227843

That's great - I take it you configure the DS on the settings screen … That's great - I take it you configure the DS on the settings screen (sorry it's for my girlfriend and I haven't got it in front of me)

Yes you have to configure the ds to your own settings also your router has to allow wep as this is what nintendo use to play.

I had to set my wireless router to WPA OR WEP option so i could use the internet at the same time as my daughter was playing online with her ds.

My son usually gets a race with Mario Kart but finds it hard to find anyone to play any game on 42 All Time Classics with.

Banned

it uses wep, not wap, so you may need to adjust your wireless, i have livebox and had to chnage the settings in the livebox to wep only

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, great help! I think our router is set to WPA. Will see if this works.

If not and i have to change to WEP, what will it affect?

WEP will weaken the security I think because it uses numbers, while WPA uses most characters.

Here's how to from the nintendo website:
nintendo.com/con…jsp

Bane17;2227884

Thanks everyone, great help! I think our router is set to WPA. Will see … Thanks everyone, great help! I think our router is set to WPA. Will see if this works.If not and i have to change to WEP, what will it affect?

My newish Dell laptop will not work on WEP security so couldn't have both the laptop and DS online at the same time.

Pain in the backside swapping to and fro so gave up
Abacus reckons you can set the router to WEP or WPA but I have not been back to check, I only remember the laptop saying it could not work with WEP.

Abacus, if you can set the router to WEP or WPA how does it know which one to use?

greg_68;2227963

My newish Dell laptop will not work on WEP security so couldn't have both … My newish Dell laptop will not work on WEP security so couldn't have both the laptop and DS online at the same time.Pain in the backside swapping to and fro so gave upAbacus reckons you can set the router to WEP or WPA but I have not been back to check, I only remember the laptop saying it could not work with WEP.Abacus, if you can set the router to WEP or WPA how does it know which one to use?

I changed my settings on my wireless router to wep only and could play the ds but could not get online so i changed my livebox to the setting wep or wpa and since doing this i can get on the internet with 3 computers as well as playing my ds online at the same time no problem and i have had this set like this for months.

sassie;2227865

it uses wep, not wap, so you may need to adjust your wireless, i have … it uses wep, not wap, so you may need to adjust your wireless, i have livebox and had to chnage the settings in the livebox to wep only

So what do you do keep changing between wep and wpa?

Banned

oh maybe it was changed to that then, i was sure it was already set wep and wpa, and thought i changed it to wep only, cant remember now:oops:

Sorry Abacus, what's a livebox.

sassie;2228079

oh maybe it was changed to that then, i was sure it was already set wep … oh maybe it was changed to that then, i was sure it was already set wep and wpa, and thought i changed it to wep only, cant remember now:oops:

I have the orange livebox as well if you go on the internet as well as going online with the ds it must be set to the option of wpa or wep so they work side by side.

greg_68;2228098

Sorry Abacus, what's a livebox.

Its just a wireless router that orange provide basically just the name orange call it.

Greg you should have an option in your settings on your wireless router with the option WPA OR WEP this will sort your problem out.

Banned

no have just checked and mine is set to wep only

Bane17;2227884

Thanks everyone, great help! I think our router is set to WPA. Will see … Thanks everyone, great help! I think our router is set to WPA. Will see if this works.If not and i have to change to WEP, what will it affect?

Bane it will affect your comp as they use wpa same advice as what i have given Greg ^^^^

abacus;2228117

Its just a wireless router that orange provide basically just the name … Its just a wireless router that orange provide basically just the name orange call it.Greg you should have an option in your settings on your wireless router with the option WPA OR WEP this will sort your problem out.

Cheers Abacus, assuming I do have this option what level of security does this set for say my laptop then? does it use the WEP or WPA or does it automatically detect the system using it i.e WEP for the DS and WPA for my laptop.

sassie;2228120

no have just checked and mine is set to wep only

Seems strange because when mine was on wep only i could not get internet access but could go on the ds online but when i changed to both it let me on the internet and also online with the ds.

greg_68;2228143

Cheers Abacus, assuming I do have this option what level of security does … Cheers Abacus, assuming I do have this option what level of security does this set for say my laptop then? does it use the WEP or WPA or does it automatically detect the system using it i.e WEP for the DS and WPA for my laptop.

My mate said that it detects between the 2 so you still get the same security.

Banned

this is my thread from when i wanted to do it, may help and give you a laff at how bad i messed up - lol

hotukdeals.com/ite…751

sassie;2228160

this is my thread from when i wanted to do it, may help and give you a … this is my thread from when i wanted to do it, may help and give you a laff at how bad i messed up - lolhttp://www.hotukdeals.com/item/157751/before-i-strangle-my-daughter-can-y/showthread.php?t=157751

Sassie what operating system are you using?

Banned

windows xp

I am on Vista so it may have something to do with that.So you go on the internet at the same time as your ds being used online through the same router?

Banned

abacus;2228205

I am on Vista so it may have something to do with that.So you go on the … I am on Vista so it may have something to do with that.So you go on the internet at the same time as your ds being used online through the same router?

yes

sassie;2228211

yes

Ok it must have something to do with Vista then as i have the same set up as you apart from Xp

Banned

if you read the thread i linked to you will see what i was told to do, also some links on what to do, i naffed up big style, so not even sure how i got where, but have checked settings and livebox is set to wep only, thats all i know - lol

I gave it up as a bad job!!! I changed everything to what I searched on interent - wep etc... and it still woudlnt work - eventually I dropped my security and it worked fine! - Try turning it back on - keep getting error on ds!!!

Original Poster

I've turned it to WEP only as I have no option to use WEP or WPA and my net doesn't work... any ideas?
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any PS4 News Here29213593
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7763960
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386132
    4. Better watch out for these...912

See more discussions