How to get out of any Sky/TV, Broadband & Phone contract for FREE

Posted 4th Feb
Yes... you read it correctly. Here’s how to get out of any contract for FREE. This should work with all companies, Sky, BT, virgin etc

Step 1) Call up and enquire about upgrading/downgrading your current package/deal. They will drool at the opportunity of locking you into a new/longer contract.

Step 2) Accept an upgrade/downgrade. *IMPORTANT* make sure they’re entering you into a new contract and making your old contract invalid.

Step 3) *optional* wait a day

Step 4) You can now exercise your legal right to cancel a new contract within 14 days, since the previous contract has already been cancelled, you’re free to leave without any fees or re-processions.

Please leave success stories below
Community Updates

Groups

18 Comments
I'm interested
Thanks
Works OK (or historically worked OK) with Voda mobile contracts cos I suggested peeps consider this MO about a year ago on this forum and some reported back it worked no issues.
No idea where that thread is now !
Edit: here's a historic ref to this MO suggestion with EE, although still no idea where the more definitive Voda thread is:
hotukdeals.com/com…219
Edited by: "AndyRoyd" 4th Feb
Yes, It works. Done it a few times. Don't make a habit though as they'll trigger on and close the loop hole
This has crossed my mind a few times. I cant see it not working. 👌🏻👌🏻👌🏻
Smart 👌
If you cancel don't you just revert to your previous contract though?
Anon08/02/2020 23:10

No because you will have already triggered your BRoadband contract EXIT and, as we all know:

BREXIT means BREXIT
Anon08/02/2020 23:10

Nope, I've done it before
AndyRoyd04/02/2020 12:30

Works OK (or historically worked OK) with Voda mobile contracts cos I …Works OK (or historically worked OK) with Voda mobile contracts cos I suggested peeps consider this MO about a year ago on this forum and some reported back it worked no issues. No idea where that thread is now !Edit: here's a historic ref to this MO suggestion with EE, although still no idea where the more definitive Voda thread is:https://www.hotukdeals.com/comments/permalink/36387219

Andy you know with this, do you mean, someone for example could be a few months into a 24 month contract with a network provider for handset∼, could contact their provider get put on to a higher paid monthly tariff for more data, could then call up and exercise their right to 14 day cooling off period, would get their contract cancelled but get to keep their handset?
save-me-money24/02/2020 23:09

Andy you know with this, do you mean, someone for example could be a few …Andy you know with this, do you mean, someone for example could be a few months into a 24 month contract with a network provider for handset∼, could contact their provider get put on to a higher paid monthly tariff for more data, could then call up and exercise their right to 14 day cooling off period, would get their contract cancelled but get to keep their handset?

Unlikely on one or two counts: 1) an upgrade is unlikely to be available prior to the last say 100days of contract; 2) depends what OFCOM / t&c identifies as the date ownership of hardware transfers to customer.
Great idea op, hoping now for a lot of success stories 🤞
At least you didn't call it a "hack" Great tip, though
AndyRoyd25/02/2020 03:16

Unlikely on one or two counts: 1) an upgrade is unlikely to be available …Unlikely on one or two counts: 1) an upgrade is unlikely to be available prior to the last say 100days of contract; 2) depends what OFCOM / t&c identifies as the date ownership of hardware transfers to customer.

That is usually halfway through the contract but obviously terms can differ.
.MUFC.25/02/2020 07:49

That is usually halfway through the contract but obviously terms can …That is usually halfway through the contract but obviously terms can differ.

A few years ago maybe, but not sure now. The phrase used by EE in its t&c until circa 2015 was
"You will only own this Equipment at the end of the first six months of the Minimum Term"
but that phrase or similar no longer appears, hence I suspected OFCOM may have decreed when a PM customer owned the equipment (day 15?) as a provider would not normally remove such retention clause unless forced to remove by law or regulator.
It still appears to apply to business contracts as the business change of contract ownership EE webpage quotes:
"EE will legally own all devices sold for the first six months to help reduce fraud and theft"
ee.co.uk/bus…es/
although a manipulative sole trader could claim to be a consumer not business, but obviously a consumer buying a business contract would be questionable.
But we drift off-topic...
save-me-money24/02/2020 23:09

Andy you know with this, do you mean, someone for example could be a few …Andy you know with this, do you mean, someone for example could be a few months into a 24 month contract with a network provider for handset∼, could contact their provider get put on to a higher paid monthly tariff for more data, could then call up and exercise their right to 14 day cooling off period, would get their contract cancelled but get to keep their handset?

Unlikely for previously suggested reasons. Probably find your best hope for early termination of contract with combination of no early termination fees and customer retaining hardware at no cost would be a mid-term price / detrimental term implementation by the carrier, but that scenario excludes the typically two RPI increases per 24m contract.
AndyRoyd25/02/2020 10:09

Unlikely for previously suggested reasons. Probably find your best hope …Unlikely for previously suggested reasons. Probably find your best hope for early termination of contract with combination of no early termination fees and customer retaining hardware at no cost would be a mid-term price / detrimental term implementation by the carrier, but that scenario excludes the typically two RPI increases per 24m contract.

Cheers Andy, you're very knowledgeable! Have you worked in the industry? Or are you just good with things like this?
save-me-money25/02/2020 11:02

Cheers Andy, you're very knowledgeable! Have you worked in the industry? …Cheers Andy, you're very knowledgeable! Have you worked in the industry? Or are you just good with things like this?

Just have an interest bordering obsession in not exposing myself to unexpected eventualities, so I tend to read t&c and research prior to committing to purchases, contracts etc. This often results in me not progressing with a purchase; I tend to remember the beneficial items of whatever t&c I've seen but more often remember the potentially detrimental elements that resulted in me walking away.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants