How to get professional help on Samsung s10+ showing moisture detected?

Posted 15th Nov
My s10+ was on charge for 1 hour and I was using it. Next thing I heard was a buzzer and it red "moisture detected take charge off" . I did but wondered why, so i tried another charger but same happened.
Samsung asked me to send it and now they have came back as saying liquid damaged so they refuse to repair it! I've been very emotional about the outcome. Neither was my USB wet nor the phone. Advisor said it could be condensation but room was warm. After paying so much I feel so bad now.
Samsung completely ignored my facts and stated its been liquid damage and yes I understand what liquid damage is but this wasn't liquid damaged so where do I stand now??? I said I want to leave a complaint then she replied I am also a complaint advisor so straight away she refused any outcome.
Upon researching there's loads on online stuff regarding this moisture detected buzzer going off randomly. I didn't even charge it any further to cause it more damage.
Please anyone with experience help me, I'm so upset atm. Legal action will cost me £100s
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

21 Comments
I have a Samsung work phone, it’s an xcover 4 I think, it’s supposed to be waterproof but regardless of that, it’s never been wet.
When I plug it in it says the same thing and won’t charge, the only way round it I have found is to turn it off when it’s charging and it charges fine! Sorry that’s not ideal for a personal phone but it might help!
I have had a couple of different Samsung’s for work phones, I wouldn’t ever buy one with my own money, they have all been terrible quality!
tom2kadd115/11/2019 11:36

I have a Samsung work phone, it’s an xcover 4 I think, it’s supposed to be …I have a Samsung work phone, it’s an xcover 4 I think, it’s supposed to be waterproof but regardless of that, it’s never been wet. When I plug it in it says the same thing and won’t charge, the only way round it I have found is to turn it off when it’s charging and it charges fine! Sorry that’s not ideal for a personal phone but it might help! I have had a couple of different Samsung’s for work phones, I wouldn’t ever buy one with my own money, they have all been terrible quality!

The thing is it's a new top end this year mobile. I'm soooo angry. It's affecting me a lot. 1, by not able to use it and 2, thinking iv lost value without my fault now
So, when they say "Liquid damaged" did they explain exactly what that means? Does the phone still work? Can you not dry it out (if there's actual liquid inside) by the "rice" method or these "Drybag" things you put your phone in?

When all's said and done - if Samsung say that's what it is after investigation, what more do you wish to do? Have you asked (or been told) what a "non-covered" repair would cost? It might not be as dreadful as you imagine. At least your phone would be back to normal.

I know it's easy to say "Don't get too upset - it's only a phone" but as you say, when it's a really expensive phone it stings a little doesn't it. Don't let it drag you down though. As a forward move, how about getting an independent "report" on your phone from a high-street phone repair shop? It might be worth getting a second opinion as grounds to dispute Samsung? Yes, I realise it's extra expense but what else are you going to do?

I guess the question I would like an answer to is: What makes you certain it isn't liquid damage when Samsung say it is? And you can't just say "Because no liquid has been near my phone." That's too easy. Moisture can gather in a device from many different ways but you need proof to make a counter-claim.

I'm just going to also say that the time of year is upon us when ambient temperatures rapidly change. Room temperatures, especially. Also, from inside to out. I would go out on a limb and say that the environment is the probable cause to your dilemma but; of course; I am only surmising this and it's one person's opinion. That's why I would suggest getting a second 'professional' opinion to give you ground to stand on.

I hope you can get something sorted to your satisfaction, Misslovely. I really do. Stay positive. The game's not over yet! Keep us posted.

Kind regards, Phsy.
Phsycronix15/11/2019 12:09

So, when they say "Liquid damaged" did they explain exactly what that …So, when they say "Liquid damaged" did they explain exactly what that means? Does the phone still work? Can you not dry it out (if there's actual liquid inside) by the "rice" method or these "Drybag" things you put your phone in?When all's said and done - if Samsung say that's what it is after investigation, what more do you wish to do? Have you asked (or been told) what a "non-covered" repair would cost? It might not be as dreadful as you imagine. At least your phone would be back to normal.I know it's easy to say "Don't get too upset - it's only a phone" but as you say, when it's a really expensive phone it stings a little doesn't it. Don't let it drag you down though. As a forward move, how about getting an independent "report" on your phone from a high-street phone repair shop? It might be worth getting a second opinion as grounds to dispute Samsung? Yes, I realise it's extra expense but what else are you going to do?I guess the question I would like an answer to is: What makes you certain it isn't liquid damage when Samsung say it is? And you can't just say "Because no liquid has been near my phone." That's too easy. Moisture can gather in a device from many different ways but you need proof to make a counter-claim.I'm just going to also say that the time of year is upon us when ambient temperatures rapidly change. Room temperatures, especially. Also, from inside to out. I would go out on a limb and say that the environment is the probable cause to your dilemma but; of course; I am only surmising this and it's one person's opinion. That's why I would suggest getting a second 'professional' opinion to give you ground to stand on.I hope you can get something sorted to your satisfaction, Misslovely. I really do. Stay positive. The game's not over yet! Keep us posted.Kind regards, Phsy.

Thanks for your reply. Yep they claim 2 USB are burnt inside now because of my phone. They say unit is repairable but at a cost to me. It works fine, everything fine except charging port in the phone. It charges now only by wireless.
Yes it did hurt my feelings so much as its average to a month wage and I swear this is the 1st time I treated myself to a latest mobile.

Il inbox you the full report.
Phsycronix15/11/2019 12:09

So, when they say "Liquid damaged" did they explain exactly what that …So, when they say "Liquid damaged" did they explain exactly what that means? Does the phone still work? Can you not dry it out (if there's actual liquid inside) by the "rice" method or these "Drybag" things you put your phone in?When all's said and done - if Samsung say that's what it is after investigation, what more do you wish to do? Have you asked (or been told) what a "non-covered" repair would cost? It might not be as dreadful as you imagine. At least your phone would be back to normal.I know it's easy to say "Don't get too upset - it's only a phone" but as you say, when it's a really expensive phone it stings a little doesn't it. Don't let it drag you down though. As a forward move, how about getting an independent "report" on your phone from a high-street phone repair shop? It might be worth getting a second opinion as grounds to dispute Samsung? Yes, I realise it's extra expense but what else are you going to do?I guess the question I would like an answer to is: What makes you certain it isn't liquid damage when Samsung say it is? And you can't just say "Because no liquid has been near my phone." That's too easy. Moisture can gather in a device from many different ways but you need proof to make a counter-claim.I'm just going to also say that the time of year is upon us when ambient temperatures rapidly change. Room temperatures, especially. Also, from inside to out. I would go out on a limb and say that the environment is the probable cause to your dilemma but; of course; I am only surmising this and it's one person's opinion. That's why I would suggest getting a second 'professional' opinion to give you ground to stand on.I hope you can get something sorted to your satisfaction, Misslovely. I really do. Stay positive. The game's not over yet! Keep us posted.Kind regards, Phsy.

But surely a phone that boasts you can submerge it underwater for 30 minutes can handle a little moisture.
I remember phones having moisture labels that change colour but don't know if that's the case.

Anyway I have a S10 and my my little boy must have put the charger in his mouth. I put it in my phone and got same thing.

Swapped the cable no issue. So something like that could have happened? Child or pets?

If it's not covered under warranty I would maybe suggest seeing y if you are covered for accidental damage under your home or bank insurance.

Also you if you really want you could make a complaint to trading standards and go down the route of phone not being fit for purpose blah blah as it is IP68 rated.

"The Samsung Galaxy S10e / S10 / S10+ israted IP68, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistancerating is 8 (water-resistant up to 5 feet for up to 30 minutes)."
yozzman123415/11/2019 12:31

But surely a phone that boasts you can submerge it underwater for 30 …But surely a phone that boasts you can submerge it underwater for 30 minutes can handle a little moisture.

Yes, you're correct - unless the condensation happened to be on a charging cable when it was connected and made it's way in - shorting/frying the USB connector. I'm not a phone expert by the way. I am only speculating...
Thanks for the report, Misslovely. I hate to say it but it seems quite comprehensive as to what they checked for and it would make sense if there were moisture on the charging circuit as it was connected to the phone's port. I'm not siding with Samsung specifically but I can only go by their side of the argument and THEY have tested the actual phone.

Have you any idea what a repair would cost? Have they quoted you? Perhaps weigh that against a repair quote from an independent phone repairer? Either that or just continue to use the phone "as is" and charge it wirelessly, as you are.

Sorry I can't offer you more advice "in your favour" but; as it stands; I'm not certain you have a case WITHOUT a second 'engineers' report - in which case I fear they would come to the same conclusion. As you said in your opening post, further investigation could prove useful if this is indeed a wider spread fault and perhaps even an 'undisclosed' recognised fault with this model. Just like some cars have a widespread fault, triggering a recall.
I have s7 and recently dropped down the clean loo and bit wet in the sea. charging had same warning.
basically leave it alone, let it dry for a good few hours and it will stop.
moisture can be from sweat, rain, anything.
Phsycronix15/11/2019 12:47

Thanks for the report, Misslovely. I hate to say it but it seems quite …Thanks for the report, Misslovely. I hate to say it but it seems quite comprehensive as to what they checked for and it would make sense if there were moisture on the charging circuit as it was connected to the phone's port. I'm not siding with Samsung specifically but I can only go by their side of the argument and THEY have tested the actual phone.Have you any idea what a repair would cost? Have they quoted you? Perhaps weigh that against a repair quote from an independent phone repairer? Either that or just continue to use the phone "as is" and charge it wirelessly, as you are.Sorry I can't offer you more advice "in your favour" but; as it stands; I'm not certain you have a case WITHOUT a second 'engineers' report - in which case I fear they would come to the same conclusion. As you said in your opening post, further investigation could prove useful if this is indeed a wider spread fault and perhaps even an 'undisclosed' recognised fault with this model. Just like some cars have a widespread fault, triggering a recall.

Well I thought it could be my anker USB cable but it can't cause all that trouble. I definitely think Samsung doesn't want to take the blame. Found plenty of online comments regarding moisture notifications but nothing ever happened to my s8+.
bally1234515/11/2019 12:35

I remember phones having moisture labels that change colour but don't know …I remember phones having moisture labels that change colour but don't know if that's the case.Anyway I have a S10 and my my little boy must have put the charger in his mouth. I put it in my phone and got same thing.Swapped the cable no issue. So something like that could have happened? Child or pets?If it's not covered under warranty I would maybe suggest seeing y if you are covered for accidental damage under your home or bank insurance.Also you if you really want you could make a complaint to trading standards and go down the route of phone not being fit for purpose blah blah as it is IP68 rated."The Samsung Galaxy S10e / S10 / S10+ israted IP68, using the Ingress Protection rating system. The dust rating is 6 (highest level of protection), and the water resistancerating is 8 (water-resistant up to 5 feet for up to 30 minutes)."

I don't have any insurance what so ever unfortunately.
Misslovely15/11/2019 12:59

Well I thought it could be my anker USB cable but it can't cause all that …Well I thought it could be my anker USB cable but it can't cause all that trouble. I definitely think Samsung doesn't want to take the blame. Found plenty of online comments regarding moisture notifications but nothing ever happened to my s8+.

Please bare in mind, we aren't talking about moisture coming from you accidentally tipping a mug of liquid over a connector. We are talking about micro-granular moisture (you might not have even noticed it by eye) on the cable connector - which when inserted into the phone port is then transferred.

Also, not to sound nasty but the "it never happened with my..." argument is a bit like when someone says "I've driven for 50 years and never had a single accident." That doesn't necessarily make you a good driver........just a very lucky one!

You've gotten me worried though. When you say "no insurance whatsoever" you did just mean phone insurance, didn't you? If you own/rent a property, you have insured that, right? If you have 'contents' insurance, you might have a clause that covers such an eventuality. I have "Accidental" insurance on my contents policy that would cover such a thing. Worth checking, unless you REALLY don't have ANY insurance???
Phsycronix15/11/2019 13:13

Please bare in mind, we aren't talking about moisture coming from you …Please bare in mind, we aren't talking about moisture coming from you accidentally tipping a mug of liquid over a connector. We are talking about micro-granular moisture (you might not have even noticed it by eye) on the cable connector - which when inserted into the phone port is then transferred.Also, not to sound nasty but the "it never happened with my..." argument is a bit like when someone says "I've driven for 50 years and never had a single accident." That doesn't necessarily make you a good driver........just a very lucky one! You've gotten me worried though. When you say "no insurance whatsoever" you did just mean phone insurance, didn't you? If you own/rent a property, you have insured that, right? If you have 'contents' insurance, you might have a clause that covers such an eventuality. I have "Accidental" insurance on my contents policy that would cover such a thing. Worth checking, unless you REALLY don't have ANY insurance???

Nope I don't as I live in a flood risk area and prices are rocket high so I'd rather pay from pocket if and when it floods. My house is for sale now any way so hopefully il be buying insurance on next house x
Misslovely15/11/2019 13:26

Nope I don't as I live in a flood risk area and prices are rocket high so …Nope I don't as I live in a flood risk area and prices are rocket high so I'd rather pay from pocket if and when it floods. My house is for sale now any way so hopefully il be buying insurance on next house x

There is literally nothing I can say.......so I won't.
Phsycronix15/11/2019 13:29

There is literally nothing I can say.......so I … There is literally nothing I can say.......so I won't.

Unfortunately there's 1000s of people who can't afford £300 a year then silly excess to pay on top just because we got flooded as a one off mostly because council don't clean gutters.
In Doncaster flooding recently there's a female on news who owns a business wasn't aware her insurance didn't cover her for flood so she's left with a huge bill
Do you take your phone in the bathroom with you when you have a shower/bath..? Set off water markers on my partners iPhone, which they used as an excuse not to swap the battery in the phone without a huge fee. I changed it for less than a tenner.
BadMF15/11/2019 16:25

Do you take your phone in the bathroom with you when you have a …Do you take your phone in the bathroom with you when you have a shower/bath..? Set off water markers on my partners iPhone, which they used as an excuse not to swap the battery in the phone without a huge fee. I changed it for less than a tenner.

No, never. I think they are trying to blame anker USB which was few months old too
This is why me and many have I phones, once you have something like this happens to you apple are more than helpful. Most times they just give you a new phone or fix it there and then for you .

I’ve read many story’s on Samsung shocking aftercare . So when buying your next phone think about how Samsung have treated you !

I’m also certain Samsung would not have tested your device and come up with that conclusion.They use a company called LSG for the repairs ect . Look them up on google there shocking
Edited by: "ashmac" 15th Nov
ashmac15/11/2019 17:02

This is why me and many have I phones, once you have something like this …This is why me and many have I phones, once you have something like this happens to you apple are more than helpful. Most times they just give you a new phone or fix it there and then for you .I’ve read many story’s on Samsung shocking aftercare . So when buying your next phone think about how Samsung have treated you !I’m also certain Samsung would not have tested your device and come up with that conclusion.They use a company called LSG for the repairs ect . Look them up on google there shocking

It was tmt in Newcastle. No I won't be buying another Samsung, they can do 1!
Regarding apple I find them too expensive by £200
Misslovely15/11/2019 17:24

It was tmt in Newcastle. No I won't be buying another Samsung, they can do …It was tmt in Newcastle. No I won't be buying another Samsung, they can do 1!Regarding apple I find them too expensive by £200

You pay for the great service and aftercare so it’s worth it
i dont know how expensive your s10 is, but had quite a few sammies over the years. the early ones were great. but stopped buying them, as the quality and "lies" over the specs are just too outrageous and overpriced. the chinese items - always quoted on here - are great (now - they didnt use to be). and much cheaper than iphone or sammies. (I have iphone as well - but for work, and try not to rely on it; having said that - it has been ultra reliable; every android is infected with the "google doesnt care" bug).

that is the disposable market for you.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions