How to get rid of slugs

Posted 30th Apr
I've been on a battle with slugs for 4 years in a row, they will eat anything: herbs, flowers you name it. Using the blue granules will cover my lawn with dead corpses and in a month or two they are back again. Can you share some tips for a natural repellent/killer. Tried coffee, they seem undisturbed.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Please please PLEASE dont use slug pellets. They kill hedgehogs (when the slugs ingest the pellets and the hedgehogs come along and eat the slugs they get poisoned) and it's a grim death for an already critically declining species.
OhJeremyCorbyn30/04/2019 19:14

Don't use slug killer, bury a open jar next to the plant and pour a bit of …Don't use slug killer, bury a open jar next to the plant and pour a bit of bear in. They'll go for the bear before the veg :-)

It is more effective to use a whole bear
39 Comments
I got some slug killer from wilko’s and haven’t seen one since, but obviously your keep coming back for some reason
Don't use slug killer, bury a open jar next to the plant and pour a bit of bear in. They'll go for the bear before the veg :-)

Don't use slug killer, bury a open jar next to the plant and pour a bit of …Don't use slug killer, bury a open jar next to the plant and pour a bit of bear in. They'll go for the bear before the veg :-)

This. Open a slug pub, infact, open several. Found using a flora/butter pot in good too, bit of beer, and you'll have many happy customers.
Please please PLEASE dont use slug pellets. They kill hedgehogs (when the slugs ingest the pellets and the hedgehogs come along and eat the slugs they get poisoned) and it's a grim death for an already critically declining species.
Get yourself a trio of chickens they will eat the slugs, will have to keep your herbs etc out of reach though, plus chickens s**t eggs so it's a win win, you get rid of your slugs and get some fresh eggs for breakfast.
squiff2 m ago

Please please PLEASE dont use slug pellets. They kill hedgehogs (when the …Please please PLEASE dont use slug pellets. They kill hedgehogs (when the slugs ingest the pellets and the hedgehogs come along and eat the slugs they get poisoned) and it's a grim death for an already critically declining species.

I wasn't aware, thanks
Apparently Lager is better than beer according to an article I read this week . Lots of them (depending on the size of your problem ) . Sadly you will still have to go around with a trowel picking them off individually - there is no 100% solution .

simonvf40012 m ago

I was going to say it’s quite difficult to get a bit of bear. Dangerous even depending on which bit you go for
Slug Nematodes, safe for kids and wildlife.
As above with the beer. Also put crushed eggshells around the plant/fruit. The sharpness off the shell cuts into the slug/snail and they will turn away. Thus not eating the plant.
A torch and sharp hoe or knife - go back later as the corpses attract more slugs.
Since I stopped using slug pellets years ago now have resident hedgehog and hardly see slugs !
simonvf40027 m ago

No just a small bit :-)37562067-zqj9z.jpg
cideristhefuture30/04/2019 20:17

Slug Nematodes, safe for kids and wildlife.

Yes this is supposed too work but u need too time it correctly or something,
It is an ongoing battle .
A tidy garden seems to help avoid plastic pots/buckets - slugs seem to like the plastic and live in them.
zzzz33 m ago

A torch and sharp hoe or knife - go back later as the corpses attract more …A torch and sharp hoe or knife - go back later as the corpses attract more slugs.Since I stopped using slug pellets years ago now have resident hedgehog and hardly see slugs !

Last summer I was getting up early every morning to pick the creatures manually, some specimen were longer than 3 inches and easily seen, the smaller ones were tricky to get
Edited by: "ella123" 30th Apr
Have you tried to work out where they are coming from?
I had large daylily plants all along one side of the garden, during the autumn when I was cutting them back I noticed loads of shells in them so I figured they must be hiding/breading in them.
Dug most of them out and had less slugs & snails so far.

Does the beer tip work with other drinks? Could one use normal fizzy sugar pop?
MynameisM1 h, 24 m ago

Yes this is supposed too work but u need too time it correctly or …Yes this is supposed too work but u need too time it correctly or something,

Yes, but usually no quick fix to any problem if you want to be safe. The op said it's been 4 years so alittle more time to make sure it's safe is not going to hurt.

Or.... Get up at the crack of dawn and pick em off every day, lol
Keep on top of any old leaves, damp areas etc. They hide under there.
Also get some bird feeders etc. You will attract birds and crows will soon sort out the slugs.

Mind you it will cost you in bird feed. In my garden I'm lucky if 4 fat balls last a day. And a filled bird seed feeder lasts 2 to 3 days if I'm lucky.

You will need a big jar to fit a bear in it.
Sprograt2 h, 19 m ago

You will need a big jar to fit a bear in it.

This is true. They bearly fit in a small jar.
It's the scent from the yeast in the beer that the slugs are attracted to by the way, not the sugar / alcohol. They prefer fermenting yeast - so get a cheap pack of beer yeast from Wilko, mix it up with a sugar/water solution and leave it somewhere warm for 30 minutes or so, until it's foaming away. Start off with a big enough container and once it's started fermenting you can keep adding more sugary water in small amounts, as the yeast multiplies.

If you want the yeast to really kick off, use spray malt (also from Wilko) instead of sugar - but it gets a bit expensive this way!

You need a trap every metre for them to be really effective.
Cheap salt
deleted1293960
NuffinisFree30/04/2019 21:51

Have you tried to work out where they are coming from?I had large daylily …Have you tried to work out where they are coming from?I had large daylily plants all along one side of the garden, during the autumn when I was cutting them back I noticed loads of shells in them so I figured they must be hiding/breading in them.Dug most of them out and had less slugs & snails so far.Does the beer tip work with other drinks? Could one use normal fizzy sugar pop?

Slugs dont have shells; what you found was probably where the local bird population goes to break open the snails they are eating.
Norseg01/05/2019 05:48

Cheap salt

Thereby killing all your plants at the same time!
JimboParrot01/05/2019 13:30

Thereby killing all your plants at the same time!

If you got plants
Edited by: "Norseg" 1st May
Go to Waitrose or Starbucks and ask for their coffee grounds. Slugs hate them and they’re good for nitrogen fixing in your garden.
Norseg01/05/2019 13:30

If you got plants

If you don't have plants then you won't have many slugs or snails
tregs01/05/2019 18:17

If you don't have plants then you won't have many slugs or snails

If you have grass and maybe some bushes it's no problem
Even if you have plants just try to avoid them
It may damage flowers but it won't destroy your grass
Edited by: "Norseg" 1st May
Norseg01/05/2019 18:20

If you have grass and maybe some bushes it's no problem

But OP has flowers & herbs
Edited by: "tregs" 1st May
tregs01/05/2019 18:22

But OP has flowers & herbs

Yeah put some around it
Norseg3 m ago

Yeah put some around it

"Pouring salt around your plants/veg will keep the slugs away indeed, but unless your plants like maritime conditions they will die too!"
buy some cheap oats
make a few piles around the garden
go out with a torch around 11.00 pm. or later
collect the slugs and place in a plastic bag
take them to a field as far away as possible
repeat for a few nights
you will never kill them all
nor should you, who else will eat the cat faeces
Thanks miikeyblue, might try the yeast and sugar water on it own.

deleted129396001/05/2019 12:58

Slugs dont have shells; what you found was probably where the local bird …Slugs dont have shells; what you found was probably where the local bird population goes to break open the snails they are eating.

Thanks for the clarification but I don't think I said slugs had shells. I just mentioned that I found empty shells in the flowers. Either one are pest in the garden.

NuffinisFree8 h, 23 m ago

Thanks miikeyblue, might try the yeast and sugar water on it own.Thanks …Thanks miikeyblue, might try the yeast and sugar water on it own.Thanks for the clarification but I don't think I said slugs had shells. I just mentioned that I found empty shells in the flowers. Either one are pest in the garden.

Be careful with finding a lot of empty shells it could be a sign there are rats.
Edited by: "JimboParrot" 2nd May
SOUTHWALES30th Apr

Get yourself a trio of chickens they will eat the slugs, will have to keep …Get yourself a trio of chickens they will eat the slugs, will have to keep your herbs etc out of reach though, plus chickens s**t eggs so it's a win win, you get rid of your slugs and get some fresh eggs for breakfast.

But slugs come out at night while Chickens sleeping
Make your own beer traps, and they wont bump off other creatures if done correctly.

We use the lids from nutella, and we had some leftover carlsberg from a party that worked well.

Ideally you're looking for high yeast and high alcohol. The yeast attracts them and the alcohol makes them drunk and drowns them.

Also slugs can only smell yeast from 1 metre away, so traps need to be set at metre intervals.

You should also be able to catch quite a few on wet and warm nights/mornings as they will just be crawling about.
Edited by: "m1keyp1key" 3rd May
Egg shells and the copper slug tape - Poundland sell it, as with many other garden related retailers.
If they are getting into pots, I just used a square bird feeder cage (from wilko) one each side, under the pot, they can't get up it.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions