how to get rid of spiders

Found 24th May 2015
right so I live in a ground floor flat got the flat in December n because of the disgusting state that it was in spent a full two months cleaning it and didn't move in till it was finished. previous tenant must have had a dog and from the amou t of fog hairs everywhere( oven, frigde, radiators, bath , walls,windows u name it there was hair). on the face of it the place intially looked clean with minimal dust but the hairs coupled with horrendous damp/ mould made ut so icky to live in. anyway obviously I eventually got used to itbut now am noticing spiders near enough everywhere in my daughters toys, in cupboards, windows, bathroom, walls!!! I am afraid of them so I use da inhumane method of spraying them with bleach. isthere anything ican do that will stop them coming in other than cleaning and filling in gaps. Thanks in advance.

Shared Via The HUKD App For Android.
Community Updates
Ask
31 Comments
conkers/horsechesnuts repellent them. could also buy spider repellent spray
...autocorrect
Original Poster
longback2

...autocorrect

I do apologise for all the grammatical errors, however it is neither an essay nor a formal letter. just want some tips on it. it is becoming uninhabitable and I'm very ocd on these things.
They supposedly don't like peppermint oil. When we first moved into our flat it was a similar situation the house hadn't had a good clean in a long time and there was woodlice everywhere so that's what I tried.
I went round my house and wiped down all the edges of the laminate flooring in the rooms with a few drops of the oil mixed with water, I wiped all round the windows, doorframe, skirting boards, anywhere I thought they would have to walk to get in. It did seem to keep them away so you could maybe give it a try.

Another thing to consider is that if you have a lot of house spiders then unfortunately that means there must be plenty of food for them so maybe go round and give everything a good deep clean again and try and get rid of anything else that might be lurking. Good luck!
find the biggest badest 6 legged fk*r in the house and take him out with a shotgun , the rest will take the hint and stay away
Why do you spray them with bleach? What a horrid person!!
Original Poster
tj19990

find the biggest badest 6 legged fk*r in the house and take him out with … find the biggest badest 6 legged fk*r in the house and take him out with a shotgun , the rest will take the hint and stay away

I thought that I had kinda. I was thinkin that if you kill em they emit some sory of smell which acts as a detterent. if only.....
conkers do not work one bit. I have a conker tree in my garden and conkers get everywhere and so do the spiders
Original Poster
sparky111091

They supposedly don't like peppermint oil. When we first moved into our … They supposedly don't like peppermint oil. When we first moved into our flat it was a similar situation the house hadn't had a good clean in a long time and there was woodlice everywhere so that's what I tried.I went round my house and wiped down all the edges of the laminate flooring in the rooms with a few drops of the oil mixed with water, I wiped all round the windows, doorframe, skirting boards, anywhere I thought they would have to walk to get in. It did seem to keep them away so you could maybe give it a try.Another thing to consider is that if you have a lot of house spiders then unfortunately that means there must be plenty of food for them so maybe go round and give everything a good deep clean again and try and get rid of anything else that might be lurking. Good luck!

you might be right about the food. the previous tenant like I said left the whole place filthy so I'm pretty sure there are remnants of food in places I overlooked whilst cleaning. I will try your peppermint oil suggestion and hope that helps if nothing else at leadt it will banish the ever so slight smell of dog. how can people live like that and how can landlords/ agents then subsequently rent the property on a poor state. I'm thinking as soin as I'd realised how dirty the place was should have informed the agency and asked them to get a professional deep clean. funny thing is in my tenancy agreement it states that the property must be vacated in the same standard as it was given......
Original Poster
Nk74

Why do you spray them with bleach? What a horrid person!!

I know amd believe me it's really a last resort. if they are tiny and cutish I will put themin tissue and out into the garden. on the other hand the ones that look like exotic species scare the hell out of me. It truly is a last resort and i do not take any pleasure in it. in fact I have to think long and hard of how to get rid of them( imo bleach is the lesser evilas oppose to stamping on them) because arachnophobia the film comes to mind, I believe if I kill one at some point its mother, sister, brother etc will seek revenge and one day I will wake up with the place covered in spiders. so yep last resort
Spiders are the good guys. They eat other small insects, not human dirt/detritus. Every house has spiders and you won't deter or stop them getting in. Spraying with bleach is cruel and unecessary. If you have to remove them, put a jar or glass over them and slip a piece of cardboard underneath and remove to the garden.
Original Poster
ceres

Spiders are the good guys. They eat other small insects, not human … Spiders are the good guys. They eat other small insects, not human dirt/detritus. Every house has spiders and you won't deter or stop them getting in. Spraying with bleach is cruel and unecessary. If you have to remove them, put a jar or glass over them and slip a piece of cardboard underneath and remove to the garden.

you are right I suppose. had it not been for spiders I am pretty sure I would be talking about a flea infestation.
bitds are good at catching spiders, but then you have to get some cats, then after cats your gonna need sone dogs, then your back where you started from.
meant birds.
Try using some flea spray or powder for dogs. You can get some that you put all way round your room on edge of carpet and skirting board, not only will it kill any fleas from dog but will help with spiders.work for me
longback2

conkers/horsechesnuts repellent them. could also buy spider repellent … conkers/horsechesnuts repellent them. could also buy spider repellent spray

Agree with the horse chestnuts - I have tried it with success.
Diatomaceous earth. Kills and deters all exoskeleton insects/spiders/fleas/bedbugs etc.
fossilised diatoms.. Who'd of thought it?
Look it up.. Good stuff.
Shreds their armour and dehydrates them.
I am a spider lover who collects tarantula etc. I use the diatoms on my dog to prevent fleas because it's a natural thing, not chemical.
Use a vacuum cleaner to remove them as to the state of the house why didnt the owner/landlord renovate and clean it before you moved in?
Edited by: "arachnoid" 24th May 2015
just reading through this whilst sitting on the loo and guess what crawls down the bloody wall...

tj19990

find the biggest badest 6 legged fk*r in the house and take him out with … find the biggest badest 6 legged fk*r in the house and take him out with a shotgun , the rest will take the hint and stay away

Don't think that will work spiders have 8 legs oO
Original Poster
arachnoid

Use a vacuum cleaner to remove them as to the state of the house why … Use a vacuum cleaner to remove them as to the state of the house why didnt the owner/landlord renovate and clean it before you moved in?

heard of the dia earth thing but the flea powder sounds good too. I will try everyyhing on here within various areas and report back on the sucess of it. you would think they would but I think it has something to do with the fact I am a dss tenant, clearly before they allowed me to stay in the flat I was living in a tent amongst all that nature has to offer, at least now I have central heating.
Move flats
tj19990

6 legged spiders?

Comment

moob

6 legged spiders?

. There is such thing mate. The black widow has 8 legs
BarmyBulldog

Don't think that will work spiders have 8 legs oO

I don't let them live long enough to count there legs lol
ryan0ceros

just reading through this whilst sitting on the loo and guess what crawls … just reading through this whilst sitting on the loo and guess what crawls down the bloody wall...

Haven't you been potty trained? X)
Firstly try not killing them if you an just tell someone to pick up with a tissue and put outside , get rid of tye cobwebs they wont come back hopefully and damp can attract this if you have an extractor fan or window leave that open abit for nights or days will help removing damp . If you have any plants near your flat window see of you can remove that and any cobwebs by the outside window
Ever since I put conkers around the house, I have not seen any of those massive spiders that I used to see.
ryan0ceros

just reading through this whilst sitting on the loo and guess what crawls … just reading through this whilst sitting on the loo and guess what crawls down the bloody wall...

Ayykayy

Comment. There is such thing mate. The black widow has 8 legs

By definition, a spider must have 8 legs.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants