Expired

how to get the best deal on o2 retention?

Found 25th Aug 2013
Hi Guys

My first ever mobile phone contract is coming to an end (been pay as you go all my life). I know people can "haggle" for better deals but I have no idea what is the best approach for this. My Samsung Galaxy S2 has been causing me a few issues recently so I think I want to go for a phone and sim deal. Could anyone recommend a good approach to take. Or is it best to go out and find a phone I want and see if they can match it? I wouldn't mind staying on o2 as I know the service where I live is good.

Thanks in advance

G
Community Updates
AskO2
9 Comments
Just keep saying, 'is that really the best you can do?'.

There are limits. The system they use looks at your spend over the last 6 months and give them a number of options they can play with. But it won't let them go past a point.
So, for example, if your ave spend month on month is only a few quid over your plan price you're not going to get the latest all sings phone for free. They won't get the cost of the phone back.

But if you spend well over your plan price every month, you'll get a much better deal...

Good luck.
I think getting a deal over the phone with O2 will be better than in store or online. When speaking to someone on the phone they have room to get a deal done. Don't be afraid to walk away as they'll probably bend over backwards to keep you on their books.
Recently I have found some retention deals have been a little poor, but you need to go into the deal with proof of a better deal, find a company that is offering the best deal, and ask O2 to beat it. Sometimes you will hit a customer service agent who has met their targets and they will be happy just to disconnect you, rare but it does happen.
the other thing to consider is that Tesco Mobile is run on the O2 network. So you'll get the same reception. Its worth looking at them as they offer some very good deals.
Thanks for advice so far everyone. I guess I will look for a good deal on here and see if they can match it. Now just need to find that great deal lol
Ask for your PAC

Browse other networks to see what you can get without redemption

When they phone you back, say what you have been offered elsewhere and ask them to match

If they refuse, use your PAC and go elsewhere.

If they agree (assuming you are happy with o2 in the first place) then go ahead. Always best IMO to find the phone you want with not many minutes etc but as cheap as possible, there's a good chance they will match the price and give you your current allowance, or at least a bit more than the quoted deal as a sweetner to stay.

Source: I got my HTC One X on launch @ £21 a month, quoting a cheap 100min plan, they matched the price but gave me 600min unlimited texts 1gb data. Then a few months later gave me a £3 reduction for paying by direct debit) {Vodafone}
Would this be a good deal to go them to try and match? Deal
I was an O2 customer for over 3 years - my contract ran out a couple of months ago, and phoned to get a retention deal. I was offered their cheapest package (from their website), and when I pointed out that I could get it cheaper from other providers, I was just told to "switch then; would you like your PAC?".

Hope you have a better time of it!
qwertymz

I was an O2 customer for over 3 years - my contract ran out a couple of … I was an O2 customer for over 3 years - my contract ran out a couple of months ago, and phoned to get a retention deal. I was offered their cheapest package (from their website), and when I pointed out that I could get it cheaper from other providers, I was just told to "switch then; would you like your PAC?".Hope you have a better time of it!

I was with o2 for 15 years! And same situation
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions