How to get Xbox online

Hi, please can anyone help?? i recently bought my son an xbox 360 arcade for his birthday. i've said i will sort it out so has has live for christmas. my broadband is with virgin media, with a bog standard ethernet cable modem. what do i need so he can access live in his bedroom without all the wires???? i am not a computer whizz so i need it explaining in 'stupid' terms!!
Ta

11 Comments

you need a Wireless router, you might be able to get one free from Virgin if you do it properlly depending on how you long you have had your virgin? If not your looking at about £25 here is a good one I like buffalo
]http//ww…105

you will also need a wireless adaptor for the 360, here is the cheapest
]http//ww…360

last of all you want to get Xbox Live for a year I guess until next Christmas, the best place to go atm is ebay you can get a year for £26.40 normally about £35~£40 in thew shops. Look at item number 270453641328 on the bay

All the above are needed, but depending on what 360 you got him you might need to get a headset and hard drive (you can play online without them but it limits the fun :() The Hard Drive is needed for some games online, and also alows you to download the Demo's so you can see if a game is worth having or not, and the headset is so you can talk to your mates while playing, which can be important for some games if your playing with mates, and also just to chat on there, I would say these should be got, a headset you can get for about £10 and a hard drive you can pick up on here for about £25 for 20Gb or a 60Gb for about £35

Hope that helps and ask if you have any other Questions

Original Poster

ok thanks - i work for an oline computer supplies company - misco.co.uk...i'll see if i can figure out what i need off there & hopefully get it cheaper!!

claire.colin;6271535

ok thanks - i work for an oline computer supplies company - … ok thanks - i work for an oline computer supplies company - misco.co.uk...i'll see if i can figure out what i need off there & hopefully get it cheaper!!

Cool, well if you can sort other cheap things out keep me in mind with your discount

You need to look for a "Cable router" not an "ASDL Router" one. It really is worth trying to get Virgin to give you one free, if you have been with them a while, and you ring them and say my partner has a laptop and my kid has a llaptop and loads of compaies are giving them away free, they will give you one

Original Poster

ooh i'll give it a go, thanks. will be ringing them in the morning...if no luck i will have to abuse my right to discount!! lol

claire.colin;6271582

ooh i'll give it a go, thanks. will be ringing them in the morning...if … ooh i'll give it a go, thanks. will be ringing them in the morning...if no luck i will have to abuse my right to discount!! lol

Yeh thats the best place to start.

claire.colin;6271582

ooh i'll give it a go, thanks. will be ringing them in the morning...if … ooh i'll give it a go, thanks. will be ringing them in the morning...if no luck i will have to abuse my right to discount!! lol

Sorted, let us know how you get on I do not know 1 person who has not got a free one by saying other companies give them away if i go to them lol

Chuckles1001;6271493

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/139105

No need for the expensive USB adapter, as long as the console has a network port.

Two of the cheap Buffalo WHR-G125 boxes will do the job nicely. One set-up as a wireless router and the other set to wireless bridge mode.

WHR-G125 is very versatile and excellent value for money. See discussion ]here.

SUMMONER;6271643

No need for the expensive USB adapter, as long as the console has a … No need for the expensive USB adapter, as long as the console has a network port.Two of the cheap Buffalo WHR-G125 boxes will do the job nicely. One set-up as a wireless router and the other set to wireless bridge mode.

Not bad Idea and how I have got it set up for a couple of PCs but OP said she is not technical and it can be a pain to set up

Chuckles1001;6271645

Not bad Idea and how I have got it set up for a couple of PCs but OP said … Not bad Idea and how I have got it set up for a couple of PCs but OP said she is not technical and it can be a pain to set up

What's the point of working for MISCO, when you can't abuse one of their Techies for the dirty work ! ¡ ? ¿ :-D

SUMMONER;6271648

What's the point of working for MISCO, when you can't abuse one of their … What's the point of working for MISCO, when you can't abuse one of their Techies for the dirty work ! ¡ ? ¿ :-D

That is a greta idea, if they are not like PC World, yes this will do that and you need this and this is how you do it, and then 6 months later still have a non-working paperweight lol

Original Poster

thanks everyone - have emailed a guy at work so will see what happens from that....
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17366131
    2. SNES Classic launches 29th September 2017 - Check for stock and pre-order i…4661374
    3. Walnut snip: Nestlé cuts nut out of chocolate after prices surge - The Guar…1011
    4. Baby boxes to be sent to new parents in Scotland from Tuesday!1420

See more discussions