givenchy.com/gb/…tml

I almost passed out
Community Updates
Misc
Top comments
Whats wrong with a 5p bag
31 Comments
explain the issue?
@bobby12346Shows that you don't earn very much money to live in a particular lifestyle. This bag's probable customer base is circa £100,000 earners or more for affordability ( £1,690 is a one week's income net of tax, for a couple who earns ~£55,000 a year gross each. Or put this anothert way, a couple with combined gross salary of ~£110,000 nets around ~£6,700 in pocket a month, so £6,700 divided by £1,690 = 4, or is a week's salary in pocket for a couple.)

On the other hand:-

Shows that your wife values external material objects much more than you and herself in internal well-being. Even if the bag is a one-off and affordable. (A family would channel all resources to family value holistically, unless there is a surplus, in which case, my first point above applies.)
Edited by: "splender" 11th Jul
davewave2 m ago

explain the issue?

He almost passed out.
splender30 m ago

@bobby12346 Shows that you don't earn very much money to live in a …@bobby12346 Shows that you don't earn very much money to live in a particular lifestyle. This bag's probable customer base is circa £100,000 earners or more for affordability ( £1,690 is a one week's income net of tax, for a couple who earns ~£55,000 a year gross each. Or put this anothert way, a couple with combined gross salary of ~£110,000 nets around ~£6,700 in pocket a month, so £6,700 divided by £1,690 = 4, or is a week's salary in pocket for a couple.)On the other hand:-Shows that your wife values external material objects much more than you and herself in internal well-being. Even if the bag is a one-off and affordable. (A family would channel all resources to family value holistically, unless there is a surplus, in which case, my first point above applies.)

how do you mean?
Good for her! does us good to treat ourselves once in a while, cold beans on toast for tea for the next couple of months though lol.
davewave8 m ago

how do you mean?

From my obervation of people around me without debt (other than mortgage).

£1,700 a reasonable buy when you have surplus money left over a year, and has 6 salary months+ of cash sitting in savings (as contingency) (person does not gasp and pass out, metaphorically)

not a reasonable buy when a couple needs the money to build a home/family (person does gasp and pass out, metaphorically).
splender1 m ago

From my obervation of people around me without debt (other than …From my obervation of people around me without debt (other than mortgage).£1,700 a reasonable buy when you have surplus money left over a year, and has 6 salary months+ of cash sitting in savings (as contingency) (person does not gasp and pass out, metaphorically)not a reasonable buy when a couple needs the money to build a home/family (person does gasp and pass out, metaphorically).

which people do you mean?
davewave1 m ago

which people do you mean?

The people who buy these pricing ranges of bags.
splender1 m ago

The people who buy these pricing ranges of bags.

Which bags, is there a range?
davewave4 m ago

Which bags, is there a range?

OP's is an example pricing range, there are others, such as this

I don't refer to buyers who have these bags, then wear Primark and eat cheap food.
davewave48 m ago

explain the issue?

I imagine it is because they are using the European style of numbers...
deleted396333
Thanks for the tip, but I don't have a husband.
Hope OP scores a few goals tonight to pay for it.
Whats wrong with a 5p bag
Free returns

Unlike some other retailers
deleted39633311th Jul

Thanks for the tip, but I don't have a husband.

Still just boyfriends is it.
deleted396333
benrobertsno119 m ago

Still just boyfriends is it.

That's right Mr No1.
What a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a bag. I will never understand the silly amount women spend on bags, shoes etc ☹
loumar7627 m ago

What a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a bag. I will never …What a ridiculous amount of money to spend on a bag. I will never understand the silly amount women spend on bags, shoes etc ☹

I agree... on the other hand we are all overpaying on other things through day light robbery prices i.e. price of houses (depending on where you live)/ car insurance/ phone contracts or handsets/ restaurants price of cars/ / flights (first class/ business class), taxi prices, football tickets/ attractions/ and so many other things.

For the things we cant help but have to buy based on standard pricing like those i mentioned above, we are all getting robbed.

Things will only get worse. and i'd hate to imagine how much ppl will pay for handbags in the future
should of spent more on your £19.99 tap!
Edited by: "charleaward81" 11th Jul
splender6 h, 49 m ago

@bobby12346 Shows that you don't earn very much money to live in a …@bobby12346 Shows that you don't earn very much money to live in a particular lifestyle. This bag's probable customer base is circa £100,000 earners or more for affordability ( £1,690 is a one week's income net of tax, for a couple who earns ~£55,000 a year gross each. Or put this anothert way, a couple with combined gross salary of ~£110,000 nets around ~£6,700 in pocket a month, so £6,700 divided by £1,690 = 4, or is a week's salary in pocket for a couple.)On the other hand:-Shows that your wife values external material objects much more than you and herself in internal well-being. Even if the bag is a one-off and affordable. (A family would channel all resources to family value holistically, unless there is a surplus, in which case, my first point above applies.)

How patronising can you be in one comment. Was it a competition with yourself to see how far you could push it?

Some people on much lower earnings will pay that much on a TV, PC, Laptop, ring etc. They don’t have to collectively earn over £100k to be able to afford it without debt.
Neither does the wife have to be a shallow human that only strives for material gratification.

Now if my wife wanted to buy a £1,700 bag. I’d not have a heart attack, she can spend her money as she wants. Because she is not a shopper, she only buys good quality or cheaply depending on the requirement. In fact I encourage her to buy things when she needs them.
As a more flippant answer to fit married stereotypes: -
She suggested some Netflix and Chilling, with all the chill to be focus on him.
Oneday7711th Jul

How patronising can you be in one comment. Was it a competition with …How patronising can you be in one comment. Was it a competition with yourself to see how far you could push it?Some people on much lower earnings will pay that much on a TV, PC, Laptop, ring etc. They don’t have to collectively earn over £100k to be able to afford it without debt. Neither does the wife have to be a shallow human that only strives for material gratification. Now if my wife wanted to buy a £1,700 bag. I’d not have a heart attack, she can spend her money as she wants. Because she is not a shopper, she only buys good quality or cheaply depending on the requirement. In fact I encourage her to buy things when she needs them.

Can you have decency, and courteous manner to let the man speaks for himself first.

You need to wait and refrain from butting in.
splender1 h, 8 m ago

Can you have decency, and courteous manner to let the man speaks for … Can you have decency, and courteous manner to let the man speaks for himself first. You need to wait and refrain from butting in.

Like you did.
Is it different rules from the Ivory Towers?
I’ve got no problem in people paying this sort of price for a handbag, yes it might be seen as an indulgence, but a Gents Omega Seamaster watch Is roughly the same price, so I think it is all relative.
If she has the money spare then why not? Personally I wouldn't but then that is me. There are a lot of posts on this site about how much to spend on the latest gaming system or tv which will be obsolete in no time at all. If it is her money and she can afford it, spend it. If it doesn't impact on daily life then so be it.
No problem with this if you can afford it, by afford I mean no debt (except mortgages as these can be tax efficient!)and that it is no more than one weeks net income (individual if household id say 1 days)

I know a bloke on here that has had more than 10 watches bought for him by his wife around 10 x this each
Why would you even post that it’s not a great deal to spend on something you want and you don’t need £100000 to be able to buy it. Op was trying to show off the purchase that’s all, as long as your wife likes it what’s the issue.
There are plenty of people whose combined earnings are over 100k that wouldn’t think this is a good use of money.

There are plenty of people on less than 30k that would think this is a good use of money.

And vice verse.

Taste or lack of it are not linked to salary.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions