How to haggle some discount on a brand new car direct from dealer?

Found 3rd Nov 2015
I'm just about to go for a new Audi A1 on PCP, but wondered what the best way to haggle a bit of discount or extra pack for free? I already have a quote which is alright, but could do with sweetening a little.
So any advice?

do I "walk away"? cards on table and tell them what it takes for me to sign?

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
14 Comments

they will have some wiggle room
tell him your absolute bottom price and its that or nothing.
end of month is usually best time to get deals not the start unfortunately

have you compared to a drivethedeal offer - and see will they match ?
may be ask about non cash discounts. eg free gap or paint protection (dont pay for paint protection from them if not free!!!)
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 4th Nov 2015

No haggling needed to get the best deal. Just use Car Wow and let them fight it out.

Sit back, open a beer and watch the footy....

Simple

Edited by: "soled73" 4th Nov 2015

soled73

No haggling needed to get the best deal. Just use Car Wow and let them … No haggling needed to get the best deal. Just use Car Wow and let them fight it out.Sit back, open a beer and watch the footy....Simple

This....

Oh and then when you're done and you find your best deal is 100's of miles away, print off the information without the dealers info on it eg, phone number, address, dealer name (to stop them calling the other dealer or using it to convince you that their deal would be better)

Then take it to your local dealer and say can you match this deal to get a sale right here and now without any extra effort. Most should snap your hands off for a sale that requires no effort, no sales work, no test drives. Just, in, agree, sign and wait for delivery.

Original Poster

just checked car wow and a dealer just a little further can offer the car £2k less otr price! so now need the original dealership to match

1iam5mith

just checked car wow and a dealer just a little further can offer the car … just checked car wow and a dealer just a little further can offer the car £2k less otr price! so now need the original dealership to match

It's great having the power in your hand and not the car dealers isn't it. All the best and enjoy your new car and 2k in your pocket extra

I bought my car from car wow earlier this year. Would definitely use again, my local dealer took over £2k off (offer through car wow) and they matched the cheapest quote I got from Carwow. Got the same finance deal as the dealer would offer normally in store. Also if you fill in the Carwow review after you get a £20 Amazon voucher.

Original Poster

I was happy with the price anyway tbh, but with car now for the same price I can add a few extras, or save for a holiday

how do I approach this when speaking to the sales rep tomorrow? just say I've been offered X and if they can match I'll sign?

1iam5mith

I was happy with the price anyway tbh, but with car now for the same … I was happy with the price anyway tbh, but with car now for the same price I can add a few extras, or save for a holiday :)how do I approach this when speaking to the sales rep tomorrow? just say I've been offered X and if they can match I'll sign?

Pretty much. I took a copy of what they had offered me, removed the dealers details and CarWow branding info as the dealers will spin you a line that they called that dealer and **insert generic fobbing off reason here**.

If you have issue with them offering to match the price, then you could say, well can you match that price and I'll pay for X, Y and Z options at cost price on top of that price and we will do a deal here and now. Just be sure to have the list of options you are going to tick.

Failing that, it's a case of going to the dealer that offered you the bargain in the first place.

Try also even after settling on a price you are happy to pay with maybe some nice options added also. Ask for something like a jacket you seen on there website, something branded that you would use even a pen! Most of this stuff costs them nada, gives them more advertising you wearing/using. On my last Alfa I wrangled a £450 jacket (pass who would ever pay that price in the first place but sure!), Boot Liner, Aluminum Fuel and Engine oil filler caps (again stupid price of something like £90 each that no-one else except you will ever really see), a pen,mug, sunglasses (yes I robbed them!). But all these stupid little things add up.

Also though might not work but did for a friend lately, he ordered a stupid priced Merc AMG then a week later rang them up to enquire about cancelling the order, as he changed his mind, was invited in for a chat, asked what would presude him to not cancel and he got some Air Suspension upgrade that was around £1.5k for free.

1iam5mith

I was happy with the price anyway tbh, but with car now for the same … I was happy with the price anyway tbh, but with car now for the same price I can add a few extras, or save for a holiday :)how do I approach this when speaking to the sales rep tomorrow? just say I've been offered X and if they can match I'll sign?

i would use ...

"I've been offered X and if you can beat I'll sign"

cecilmcroberts

Try also even after settling on a price you are happy to pay with maybe … Try also even after settling on a price you are happy to pay with maybe some nice options added also. Ask for something like a jacket you seen on there website, something branded that you would use even a pen! Most of this stuff costs them nada, gives them more advertising you wearing/using. On my last Alfa I wrangled a £450 jacket (pass who would ever pay that price in the first place but sure!), Boot Liner, Aluminum Fuel and Engine oil filler caps (again stupid price of something like £90 each that no-one else except you will ever really see), a pen,mug, sunglasses (yes I robbed them!). But all these stupid little things add up. Also though might not work but did for a friend lately, he ordered a stupid priced Merc AMG then a week later rang them up to enquire about cancelling the order, as he changed his mind, was invited in for a chat, asked what would presude him to not cancel and he got some Air Suspension upgrade that was around £1.5k for free.

Good call, and remember if your paying with finance they're also getting a nice kick back on top.

soled73

Good call, and remember if your paying with finance they're also getting … Good call, and remember if your paying with finance they're also getting a nice kick back on top.

Unsure if applicable but with my Alfa Dealership I was able to say things like "but you also want to keep me,keep the car that drives past your showroom at least twice a day" (its like 1/2mile from my work place). Be able to point out to customers in the showroom "look one just drove past in that colour". Offer that if they wish to show another customer that model/colour that you willing to bring it up to them etc. It did help though when I was ordering mine that it was going to be the 1st in the country even before the showroom got the model! But these things all help butter em up!
They did take me up on the offer twice of bringing the car up to show a buyer and even then each time they gave me a free valet for doing it. (it was really called nipping in on the way into work 5 minutes early!)
Add to that some pics on Social Media of receiving the car etc. Mine ended up on Alfa UK's social media feeds followed up by a phone call to ask permission to use the picture in promo material for the brand and dealer.
Edited by: "cecilmcroberts" 5th Nov 2015

I've bought 3 cars by using CarWow to show me who has the best deal. I then very sneakily, contact the dealer with the best price, and then simply ask them what their best price is, cutting CarWow out completely, and now dealing directly with the dealership.

The dealer has to pay CarWow a commission on every car purchased through the introduction made, I simply ask for some of that commission is passed onto me, with a better deal for me.

I know some will say that is not right, it's dishonest etc but at the end of the day, it's a dog eat dog world out there, especially when it comes to buying cars.

Try emailing the dealer with the best price, and make the suggestion to cut CarWow out in order to get a better deal. On my last car, I saved an additional £1100.

I just bought a car through Drivethedeal, in my instance they were cheaper than carwow by about £500
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants