How to hang Christmas lights outdoors

Posted 4th Dec
How's best to hang these lights up outside our house please?

I was thinking of drilling into masonry then sticking wall plugs in then screwing some hooks in to hook the lights up onto

is this the best way or is there an easier way people hang these lights?

3355543.jpg3355543.jpg3355543.jpg
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

19 Comments
Looks like a good idea to me … never done it before (or had the inclination to ..)
That's what I used to use same fixings will last a few years
For lights you hang from gutters I find Cable Ties are far better than gutter hooks, but for your plan seems fine, can use teh same holes every year then id buy all weather hooks if they are outside though.
arcangel11104/12/2019 11:00

Looks like a good idea to me … never done it before (or had the i …Looks like a good idea to me … never done it before (or had the inclination to ..)

Never wanted to do it to be honest but my wife just went out and bought them

The reason I ask about the drilling is because everyone in my area puts these up on the outside of there house but I never see them drilling lol. Seem to just stick them up outside effortlessly
Is this what you're aiming towards??

39252170-jdeM0.jpg
arcangel11104/12/2019 11:03

Is this what you're aiming towards??[Image]

God no. Way too much effort that mate
MrSprkle04/12/2019 11:03

For lights you hang from gutters I find Cable Ties are far better than …For lights you hang from gutters I find Cable Ties are far better than gutter hooks, but for your plan seems fine, can use teh same holes every year then id buy all weather hooks if they are outside though.

Think I will just unscrew them again once crimbo over and then use again the following year
There was a house near me that used to go way over the top every year and open his home/garden to visitors from all around Yorkshire and charge a small fee and donate it all to charity! Must have cost a small fortune to power it all !
efc_4ever04/12/2019 11:05

Think I will just unscrew them again once crimbo over and then use again …Think I will just unscrew them again once crimbo over and then use again the following year

Yeah I get that but if they are'nt weathered they might rust and seize in place in a very short space of time, esp with wet and cold weather.
arcangel11104/12/2019 11:05

There was a house near me that used to go way over the top every year and …There was a house near me that used to go way over the top every year and open his home/garden to visitors from all around Yorkshire and charge a small fee and donate it all to charity! Must have cost a small fortune to power it all !

We had the same too, they ended up stopping because of the cost to power it, this was before LED too.
MrSprkle04/12/2019 11:15

Yeah I get that but if they are'nt weathered they might rust and seize in …Yeah I get that but if they are'nt weathered they might rust and seize in place in a very short space of time, esp with wet and cold weather.

Oh right i see. Yea good point. I didn't think of that
just keep them in the wall all year round they will be fine,ive used the same ones with the plastic coatings in your picture for over 6 years now and they are still going strong.
jamstaruk197204/12/2019 13:05

just keep them in the wall all year round they will be fine,ive used the …just keep them in the wall all year round they will be fine,ive used the same ones with the plastic coatings in your picture for over 6 years now and they are still going strong.

Thanks
I've put similar up in the past and they will work but you would need a couple facing in opposite directions as well as maybe cable tying them to it because when it gets windy they will move quite easily.
If you plan on hanging lights from a gutter, clear the moss and crap out the gutter first, otherwise, if your gutter blocks you could have water spilling out over the lights when it rains and the lights will be in the way when you try to unblock it, as our next door neighbour found out last year

If you drill holes for fixings, drill into the mortar rather than into brick so they can be filled if the next owner wants. I guess another option would be to use masonry nails. And if you use those plastic hooks, I'd suggest unscrewing them when you take the lights down as they'll look unsightly and will eventually rust.
arcangel11104/12/2019 11:03

Is this what you're aiming towards??[Image]

Don't forget a short range FM radio transmitter so you can have the display synchronised to music on car radios :-

Edited by: "melted" 4th Dec
I used to have loads outside my old house I loved it. We did exactly the same as recommended here. Drill into the mortar and not the bricks. Use the plastic coated hooks, is a decoration is really heavy have some facing in and some facing out for extra support. Take the hooks down when removing the decorations, take plenty photos so you know which decoration goes where. Use weatherproof socket boxes to protect the electrics. Think we had around 80 plugs on the go - shame not no more, its just done for a few weeks per year and those years go fast.
I put some screws in the wall, using rawlplugs a few years ago. Between the screw and wall I put 2 zinc plated penny washers. Then when I put decorations up, I loop a bit of rope/string round and tighten down with screwdriver. This means the rope holds the decoration, with a little flexibility but can’t blow away. Also using rope allows my fixing to be more adaptive to different decorations.
Edited by: "Oneday77" 4th Dec
googley204/12/2019 16:35

I used to have loads outside my old house I loved it. We did exactly the …I used to have loads outside my old house I loved it. We did exactly the same as recommended here. Drill into the mortar and not the bricks. Use the plastic coated hooks, is a decoration is really heavy have some facing in and some facing out for extra support. Take the hooks down when removing the decorations, take plenty photos so you know which decoration goes where. Use weatherproof socket boxes to protect the electrics. Think we had around 80 plugs on the go - shame not no more, its just done for a few weeks per year and those years go fast.

What about the electricity bill though
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants