Groups

how to have the internet on a wifi only ipad?

If there's no wifi in the place I'm staying and I really would need it, how am I to use the internet on my wifi only iPad? Thanks

21 Comments

Tether from your phone or a mifi type device

Original Poster

buckham_uk

Tether from your phone or a mifi type device

Is this the only way?

blobbythin

Is this the only way?

What are you hoping for / expecting? Your iPad has Bluetooth and wifi. So either connect to wifi. Or tether it to a mobile phone or MIFI device and use the internet connection by proxy. Your iPad doesn't have Satellite communication capability so those are your options.

Banned

Knock on your neighbours door & offer then £5 or £10 a month to use theirs

blobbythin

If there's no wifi in the place I'm staying and I really would need it, … If there's no wifi in the place I'm staying and I really would need it, how am I to use the internet on my wifi only iPad? Thanks

Are you implying there is / will be wired internet available via ethernet / LAN socket? If so, an £8.50 device delivered ex-UK should work, example: ebay.co.uk/itm…942 but that is probably no use for an ipad as it's the wrong colour, so pay a little more as usual for an equivalent in white ebay.co.uk/itm…605 . If you have a spare microUSB power supply, you could lower the price whilst ticking the colour box for £6.69 ebay.co.uk/itm…605 . As with all solutions: check you have sufficient interconnection cables and familiarise yourself with the operation a reasonable time before you need to use it.

is this a serious question ? you need/want internet access and only have a device with wifi. where you are going has no wifi.

you reject the idea of wifi/ service over your smartfone.

so what do you expect instead ? magic ???

jonnithomas

you reject the idea of wifi/ service over your smartfone. so what do … you reject the idea of wifi/ service over your smartfone. so what do you expect instead ? magic ???

Maybe he/she should buy a standard usb lead and one of these...

https://cdn.instructables.com/FR5/5S2J/G4PBP7TA/FR55S2JG4PBP7TA.MEDIUM.jpg

splatsplatsplat

Maybe he/she should buy a standard usb lead and one of these...

The IiaB box, yeah great idea! But I think you should get Monster USB cables from Curries (if there is one local) as they have special properties.

No place closebyy, McDonald's, Starbucks etc, usually get free WiFi there.

Although if u need it desperately, the only suggestions you'll get are above.

Enet

The IiaB box, yeah great idea! But I think you should get Monster USB … The IiaB box, yeah great idea! But I think you should get Monster USB cables from Curries (if there is one local) as they have special properties.

Is that the gold plated one that they always recommend?

Enet

The IiaB box, yeah great idea! But I think you should get Monster USB … The IiaB box, yeah great idea! But I think you should get Monster USB cables from Curries (if there is one local) as they have special properties.

Internet in a box box?

Original Poster

It's in a hospital and I'm trying to make it as comfortable for my child as poss. Apparently they don't let any watching although there is wifi. So I'm trying to find another way for him to watch the football etc

MIDURIX

Internet in a box box?

​Yeah I know but calling it an Iia box didn't have the MiB vibe I was going for.:p

blobbythin

It's in a hospital and I'm trying to make it as comfortable for my child … It's in a hospital and I'm trying to make it as comfortable for my child as poss. Apparently they don't let any watching although there is wifi. So I'm trying to find another way for him to watch the football etc

​If it has payed for WiFi services he can watch over that can't he?
    Edited by: "Enet" 12th Feb

blobbythin

It's in a hospital and I'm trying to make it as comfortable for my child … It's in a hospital and I'm trying to make it as comfortable for my child as poss. Apparently they don't let any watching although there is wifi. So I'm trying to find another way for him to watch the football etc

use a proxy on the hospitals wifi, to watch blocked/restricted content

I'd recommend, taking the ipad apart sprinkle some fairy dust on it and hope for the best!

helperbo

use a proxy on the hospitals wifi, to watch blocked/restricted content

This

blobbythin

well I'm sorry to hear your kiddie is going into hospital. however, you have to accept reality.

a smartfone and all you can eat sim is the way to go. surely there will be an issue with re-charging the devices tho as well ? you cannot expect the NHS to pay for the electricity either.

don't some hospitals let you rent a TV as well ?

Original Poster

jonnithomas

well I'm sorry to hear your kiddie is going into hospital. however, you … well I'm sorry to hear your kiddie is going into hospital. however, you have to accept reality.a smartfone and all you can eat sim is the way to go. surely there will be an issue with re-charging the devices tho as well ? you cannot expect the NHS to pay for the electricity either.don't some hospitals let you rent a TV as well ?

Thanks for your kind words! They do have tv will have to wait and see what else I can buy? Sky sports etc

jonnithomas

well I'm sorry to hear your kiddie is going into hospital. however, you … well I'm sorry to hear your kiddie is going into hospital. however, you have to accept reality.a smartfone and all you can eat sim is the way to go. surely there will be an issue with re-charging the devices tho as well ? you cannot expect the NHS to pay for the electricity either.don't some hospitals let you rent a TV as well ?

They allowed me to charge my phone when I was last there, there was spare sockets next to the bed, didn't seem to be an issue.

ibblackberry1

They allowed me to charge my phone when I was last there, there was spare … They allowed me to charge my phone when I was last there, there was spare sockets next to the bed, didn't seem to be an issue.

Yes, hopefully. I think it depends on how much you are using. if you are using your smartfone as a router it will be on charge a lot and so will the ipad that you are streaming to. certainly a lot of hospitals want mobiles switched off.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. So Brexit isn't going how a lot of Brexiters thought it would2468
      2. Spotify Family Premium share721
      3. Best £500 student laptop choice?11
      4. word association Game74044543

See more discussions