How to improve air quality in my bedroom?

Every morning I wake up with the driest mouth, feeling like I swallowed glass. Trips to the GP/dentist did nothing, as I was assured my mouth was fine, and told to drink more water.

I'd like to know whether it's something to do with the air quality in our house. What products would you recommend to purify the air within the house?

I've seen the Netatmo Healthy Home Coach and almost bought it - but not even sure if that would indicate that there is an issue. A cheap humidity sensor shows that we have 50% humidity in the room, which I assume is normal.

Tried to have a look at air purifiers (budget <£100) on Amazon, but most look a bit dodgy, and I'm uncertain if they're anything other than a fan!

Any advice appreciated.

20 Comments

Have you any damp or mould in your room?

I use a Bionaire BAP9240 with a true HEPA filter in my bedroom, much less nasal congestion for me, and quiet enough to leave on low while you sleep. Amazing how much crud collects in the filter over a short space of time.
Try and allow fresh air to circulate in the room as well.
Edited by: "moneybag" 12th Nov 2016

Leave a small window open an inch. Leave your bedroom door open. This allows the air to "flow". All for free.

Perhaps you are sleeping with your mouth open and need to look at whether you are over compensating due to blocked nasal passages...?

As Mermoo says, but have you changed anything in your bedroom? Have you tried sleeping in another room with different bedding. Rather than trying to deal with the symptom, try and find a cause. Much cheaper and longer lasting.

Banned

I thought it was normal to have a little dry mouth in morning in this weather although it's occasionally.
open your windows during day and close door if it's too cold

Original Poster

Thanks all Will try opening a window, but the noise with an open window creates a whole new load of problems.

No damp or mould!

Are you drinking enough water in the day? You may be dehydrated.

I get a dry mouth sometimes, which is from sleeping with my mouth open. Doesn't always happen, but may be the same for you.

Maybe get someone to check on you while you are sleeping in case it is from an open mouth.

Use an ozonator during the day to clean up the air. These can be bought cheaply on eBay. Close windows and bedroom door. Run the machine for about 3 hours. Could be side effects of medication or toxins in your body though. Make sure you drink enough water during the day (particularly in the morning).

artnada

Leave a small window open an inch. Leave your bedroom door open. This … Leave a small window open an inch. Leave your bedroom door open. This allows the air to "flow". All for free.

Please don't leave your bedroom door open, if there's a fire you're done for. Sorry to be a muppet but I work for the fire service and open doors at night make me twitchy.

momartin

Please don't leave your bedroom door open, if there's a fire you're done … Please don't leave your bedroom door open, if there's a fire you're done for. Sorry to be a muppet but I work for the fire service and open doors at night make me twitchy.

surely a smoke detector would wake you up long before the fire reached a bedroom?

Conversely, half your house could be on fire before you realise if your bedroom door is shut. I know I wouldnt be able to hear my hall or landing smoke alarms with my bedroom door shut and being fast asleep.

Anyway OP, just open the windows in your bedroom for 2 minutes before going to bed. It wont affect the room temperature even in mid-winter as the temperature would go back up once closed (most of the heat in the house is contained in the furniture and walls etc)
Edited by: "chocci" 12th Nov 2016

A humidifier would be an option

This time of year it could be radiators drying the air out. Try sticking some wet washing on the bedroom radiator to increase humidity. Ensure you air the room daily otherwise damp could then become a problem! Good luck

I have the same problem if I sleep on my back and mouth opens whilst asleep - Doesn't happen if I sleep on my side.

chocci

surely a smoke detector would wake you up long before the fire reached a … surely a smoke detector would wake you up long before the fire reached a bedroom?Conversely, half your house could be on fire before you realise if your bedroom door is shut. I know I wouldnt be able to hear my hall or landing smoke alarms with my bedroom door shut and being fast asleep.Anyway OP, just open the windows in your bedroom for 2 minutes before going to bed. It wont affect the room temperature even in mid-winter as the temperature would go back up once closed (most of the heat in the house is contained in the furniture and walls etc)

That's assuming the OP has working smoke alarms. Also, a closed door keeps smoke out. Smoke is the killer, not fire generally. It only takes a few breaths of smoke to kill you and this is easy to succumb to whilst you're asleep. I get your point and maybe it's pedantic but an open door overnight makes me twitchy!

chocci

surely a smoke detector would wake you up long before the fire reached a … surely a smoke detector would wake you up long before the fire reached a bedroom?Conversely, half your house could be on fire before you realise if your bedroom door is shut. I know I wouldnt be able to hear my hall or landing smoke alarms with my bedroom door shut and being fast asleep.Anyway OP, just open the windows in your bedroom for 2 minutes before going to bed. It wont affect the room temperature even in mid-winter as the temperature would go back up once closed (most of the heat in the house is contained in the furniture and walls etc)

​That's what smoke alarms are for. Keep those in check and you'll be OK.

artnada

​That's what smoke alarms are for. Keep those in check and you'll be OK.

Try reading past the first sentence to comprehend my point

Original Poster

Oh wow - loads of good feedback! Thanks all.

Did think of an ozonator/purifier, but with a wee one on the way I'm not sure about the health risks. Dehydration not a problem. I might be sleeping with my mouth open - will clamp it shut!

qwertymz

Oh wow - loads of good feedback! Thanks all. Did think of an … Oh wow - loads of good feedback! Thanks all. Did think of an ozonator/purifier, but with a wee one on the way I'm not sure about the health risks. Dehydration not a problem. I might be sleeping with my mouth open - will clamp it shut!

A bit late now (but in the nicest possible way) maybe its your legs that need clamping shut::D

Xerostomia often occurs during pregnancy, especially during the first trimester. It can worsen during the night and be accompanied by a stuffy dry nose, cracked lips, headaches, hot flashes, indigestion, and metal cotton mouth (bitter, metallic taste in the mouth). These symptoms are caused by the major hormonal and metabolic changes that take place during pregnancy.
Pregnancy-Related Causes

Increased blood volume leads to extra fluids being processed through the kidneys, causing more frequent urination and dry mouth.
Hormonal changes lead to reduced saliva flow, causing the mouth to become dry.
An increased metabolic rate can cause excessive sweating, leading to a loss of body fluids and excessive thirst.
Inadequate intake of water leads to dehydration.
Gestational diabetes, like all forms of the disease, is associated with xerostomia because insulin abnormalities have indirect and direct effects on the function and structure of salivary glands.
Specific medications cause dry mouth as a side effect.

Remedies

Drink lemonade or other citrus-based juices to reduce the metal taste in your mouth.
Suck on ice chips to moisturize your mouth, which will also alleviate nausea from morning sickness.
Drink plenty of fluids to avoid dry mouth in the morning.
Keep a bottle of water on hand at all times to enable drinking adequate water throughout the day.
Try coconut water to combat dry mouth — its vitamins and minerals aid in staving off dehydration.
Avoid coffee, tea, and soda not only for general health reasons, but also because they are dehydrating.
Use sugar-free gum and mints or mouth wetting lozenges, which will help increase saliva production in the mouth and prevent bad breath.
If you wake up with metal cotton mouth, try using a humidifier in your bedroom at night.

Edited by: "getmeone" 12th Nov 2016
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Job Centre sending text to confirm appointment23
    2. Selling advice11
    3. Bed pillow recommendations810
    4. Advertised on Gumtree22

See more discussions