How to install original firmware on Samsung S8

Found 22nd Apr
hi
I recently had bought a Samsung Galaxy S8 locked to Vodafone UK. Since then I had unlocked it but there are couple of apps from Vodafone and I got a feeling I don't get firmware updates directly from Vodafone but they got to get through the Vodafone which I don't like.
can someone help me how I go about replacing the Vodafone firmware with original Samsung firmware?
I would really appreciate the help.
thanks,
Bal.
Community Updates
13 Comments
I have done this in the past (on an S3 granted it was a while ago but I think the process would be similar) with software called Odin. I can find you a guide if you want, I done it for the same reasons it’s hard enough getting an update from Samsung let alone when the network is involved too.

edit** Link
Edited by: "Dannyrobbo" 22nd Apr
Dannyrobbo12 m ago

I have done this in the past (on an S3 granted it was a while ago but I …I have done this in the past (on an S3 granted it was a while ago but I think the process would be similar) with software called Odin. I can find you a guide if you want, I done it for the same reasons it’s hard enough getting an update from Samsung let alone when the network is involved too.edit** Link

Weirdly it's the opposite that's true now. The unlocked firmware seems to be the last released. Depending on what sim the op uses it can be better to use a networks rom. Eg three only let's it's firmware connect to one of their 4g bands which massively improved my indoor signal.
Thanks both for quick reply.
Sadly I will be using TalkMobile SIM so I don't think being on network will help me with signal.
IamChris22nd Apr

Weirdly it's the opposite that's true now. The unlocked firmware seems to …Weirdly it's the opposite that's true now. The unlocked firmware seems to be the last released. Depending on what sim the op uses it can be better to use a networks rom. Eg three only let's it's firmware connect to one of their 4g bands which massively improved my indoor signal.

Thats miles better now, I had a strange variant on the s3 the GTI9305 4G model and it was a nightmare for updates from EE and they were the only ones who carried it, it used to frustrate the life out of me.

btw there used to be a way to access the service menu and select the bands you would wish to use without being crippled to the network firmware particularly useful when going abroad.

*#2263# or *#2683662# on the dialer it’s documented online about bands
You will need Odin and the firmware file.

I'd advise using an application called SamFirm located here: forum.xda-developers.com/gal…647

There's SamMobile too but they cripple their free tier account to snail pace - that allows you to download at, what should be, your max speed (does for me anyway). It does mention to try fw.updato.com, which you can, but I found, again, the DL speeds were not great.

Once you've downloaded the SamFirm application, you'll need to enter in the region and model number which should be SM-G950F but confirm this. The region you want is BTU. This will get you the unbranded Samsung Firmware.

Press 'Check Update'. let it check and then press download. It'll download and decrypt automatically.

Next, download Odin from dl.sammobile.com/Odi…zip.

You'll need to, on the safe side, enable OEM Unlock & USB debugging in developer settings. Google "enable developer settings" or similar as it'll differ from Android 7 to Android 8.

Reboot the phone in download moda (Volume Down + Bixby + Power) and connect via USB to PC - open ODIN.

On the right side there will be AP, CSC etc. Press browse next to each one and navigate to where SamFirm downloaded your firmware. In here will be 4 or so files, each with the two letters at the start of the file.

You need to select each one correspondingly. So AP Field you will select the AP file. BL you will select the BL file. For CSC you either select HOME_CSC or CSC. HOME_CSC AFAIK keeps your data where as CSC wipes it. And CP you select the CP file.

The application may freeze for a short period whilst it validates the MD5. This is normal but will come back.

Once all selected you then just press 'Start'. The phone will auto-reboot at the end should you have left it all default.
Edited by: "M0nk3h" 22nd Apr
M0nk3h28 m ago

You will need Odin and the firmware file.I'd advise using an application …You will need Odin and the firmware file.I'd advise using an application called SamFirm located here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647There's SamMobile too but they cripple their free tier account to snail pace - that allows you to download at, what should be, your max speed (does for me anyway). It does mention to try fw.updato.com, which you can, but I found, again, the DL speeds were not great.Once you've downloaded the SamFirm application, you'll need to enter in the region and model number which should be SM-G950F but confirm this. The region you want is BTU. This will get you the unbranded Samsung Firmware.Press 'Check Update'. let it check and then press download. It'll download and decrypt automatically.Next, download Odin from https://dl.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.13.1.zip.You'll need to, on the safe side, enable OEM Unlock & USB debugging in developer settings. Google "enable developer settings" or similar as it'll differ from Android 7 to Android 8.Reboot the phone in download moda (Volume Down + Bixby + Power) and connect via USB to PC - open ODIN.On the right side there will be AP, CSC etc. Press browse next to each one and navigate to where SamFirm downloaded your firmware. In here will be 4 or so files, each with the two letters at the start of the file.You need to select each one correspondingly. So AP Field you will select the AP file. BL you will select the BL file. For CSC you either select HOME_CSC or CSC. HOME_CSC AFAIK keeps your data where as CSC wipes it. And CP you select the CP file.The application may freeze for a short period whilst it validates the MD5. This is normal but will come back.Once all selected you then just press 'Start'. The phone will auto-reboot at the end should you have left it all default.

Thanks a bunch buddy.... Exactly the issues I am facing and your post rightly addressed....
Will give it a go this week.
With my old my samsung S5 I rooted it and had custom firmware on it, and when I came to selling it I used Samsng Kies on my laptop to restore all the original settings/fimware, worked great for me
Edited by: "malnuman" 23rd Apr
M0nk3h22nd Apr

You will need Odin and the firmware file.I'd advise using an application …You will need Odin and the firmware file.I'd advise using an application called SamFirm located here: https://forum.xda-developers.com/galaxy-tab-s/general/tool-samfirm-samsung-firmware-t2988647There's SamMobile too but they cripple their free tier account to snail pace - that allows you to download at, what should be, your max speed (does for me anyway). It does mention to try fw.updato.com, which you can, but I found, again, the DL speeds were not great.Once you've downloaded the SamFirm application, you'll need to enter in the region and model number which should be SM-G950F but confirm this. The region you want is BTU. This will get you the unbranded Samsung Firmware.Press 'Check Update'. let it check and then press download. It'll download and decrypt automatically.Next, download Odin from https://dl.sammobile.com/Odin3-v3.13.1.zip.You'll need to, on the safe side, enable OEM Unlock & USB debugging in developer settings. Google "enable developer settings" or similar as it'll differ from Android 7 to Android 8.Reboot the phone in download moda (Volume Down + Bixby + Power) and connect via USB to PC - open ODIN.On the right side there will be AP, CSC etc. Press browse next to each one and navigate to where SamFirm downloaded your firmware. In here will be 4 or so files, each with the two letters at the start of the file.You need to select each one correspondingly. So AP Field you will select the AP file. BL you will select the BL file. For CSC you either select HOME_CSC or CSC. HOME_CSC AFAIK keeps your data where as CSC wipes it. And CP you select the CP file.The application may freeze for a short period whilst it validates the MD5. This is normal but will come back.Once all selected you then just press 'Start'. The phone will auto-reboot at the end should you have left it all default.

Just done it.
Took about 2 hours max
Many thanks for your comprehensive explanation. That really helped me.
malnuman4 h, 15 m ago

With my old my samsung S5 I rooted it and had custom firmware on it, …With my old my samsung S5 I rooted it and had custom firmware on it, and when I came to selling it I used Samsng Kies on my laptop to restore all the original settings/fimware, worked great for me

That isn't the case now with I think the S6 onwards. Samsung adopted A heavy method to preventing rooted devices from being serviced.

They now use eFuses to detect whether the boot loader has been touched. Once blown your warranty has gone and they can tell.
baldude1 h, 35 m ago

Just done it.Took about 2 hours maxMany thanks for your comprehensive …Just done it.Took about 2 hours maxMany thanks for your comprehensive explanation. That really helped me.

Hey no problem buddy, happy to help
are there any advantages to flashing the unlocked firmware, i'm new to this and trying it out for my first time on s9 plus originally locked to EE and unlocked now using three BUT i'm struggling with accessing wifi calling so think this work around might work (i have wifi calling on s7 and s9)
blinko2 m ago

are there any advantages to flashing the unlocked firmware, i'm new to …are there any advantages to flashing the unlocked firmware, i'm new to this and trying it out for my first time on s9 plus originally locked to EE and unlocked now using three BUT i'm struggling with accessing wifi calling so think this work around might work (i have wifi calling on s7 and s9)

I had done this on my s8 and never regretted. I didn't have to lose any data or apps.....
yeah apparently if you install the HOME part of the firmware you keep your data and apps
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions