How to invest in stocks and shares?

Found 24th Apr
New to all this, is there a specific website where I can invest in stocks and shares? and leave money in there until it's doing well? Salk help much appreciated in advanced thanks
Community Updates
Ask
13 Comments
I would start by reading up Hargreaves Lansdown and Interactive Investor ,its all explained on their websites . Are you sure you want to start with Shares- you really need a bit of experience to be able to "Stock pick " successfully ?

If you are inexperienced maybe funds (unit trusts) might be a better way to start while you learn about the markets ? Hargreaves Lansdown again or Fidelity are the biggest "Supermarkets" for these .

Whichever way you go invest under a Stocks and Shares ISA wrapper (all explained on the websites mentioned ) .
Edited by: "rogparki" 24th Apr
Many different sites and offers, have a look at isas at Hargreaves etc
There are various brokers out there - I use iWeb, part of Halifax - and very simply put you open account, put money in the account, research what you want to buy, issue a trade request, wait a few years, try not to panic in a bear market and maybe make some money. The difficult bits are know what to buy, when to buy and when to sell. You need to consider what you are after - short term gains or long term income, how much you can afford to lose (never put in more that you can live without for many years) and where to do your research. We don't know your situation, but I would say unless you are able to put away at least £10K long term and have a good understanding of how the stock markets work, then look elsewhere.
If you want someone else to make the choices, you could look at unit trusts, where a fund manager looks after the money and takes a commission. Again, you are looking at a long term >£10K commitment but you can adjust the risk profile.
I'm 63 and been trading since I was 21 when I worked in IT in the City. In those days, you could pick up a hot tip or two in the pub at lunch time. Not so today. I now use the HL Portfolio Manages Service and Saint James Place to pin the tail on the donkey for me.

If you want to gamble/invest directly, start by reading all the annual news letter from Warren Buffet of Berkshire Hathaway and keep reading

Don't lose sight of the fact that its gambling to pick your own stocks.
Theres nothing saying a stock will ever do well they can go down as well as up. Only invest what you can afford to lose
This has already been up an hour and no one has tried to shill Bitcoin yet??!

But great tips above, in summary do all the reading you can and then read some more. You are essentially just gambling if you're stock picking.
Good sense above.
I have unit trusts, but also Investment Trusts are well worth a look. Some of them have been growing for well over 100 years. Get rich slow is the name of the game.
Trade2win will be your most useful source of information, it was for me anyway!
Thanks guys. Thought it was a lot less complex than this. maybe ill stay away was only look to deposit 50 quid and hope to strike lucky in a few years?
machomansavage7 h, 37 m ago

Thanks guys. Thought it was a lot less complex than this. maybe ill stay …Thanks guys. Thought it was a lot less complex than this. maybe ill stay away was only look to deposit 50 quid and hope to strike lucky in a few years?

If that was your thinking -make it £100 and buy Premium Bonds - you never know
Edited by: "rogparki" 25th Apr
I'd say don't do it. Try investing in funds first, which will be less risky. You should certainly do some research either way. Money Saving Expert forums is a good place to start. It is worth doing. Get it right and you can end up very wealthy. Equally, you could also loose a lot if you get it wrong. Do the research, don't rush into things, and you'll do fine.

It's not really that complex to DIY at the most basic level, although the initial learning curve can be a bit intimidating if you have never taken much of an interest in finances before, but that's what the internet/forums are for.
traylee3 h, 28 m ago

I'd say don't do it. Try investing in funds first, which will be less …I'd say don't do it. Try investing in funds first, which will be less risky. You should certainly do some research either way. Money Saving Expert forums is a good place to start. It is worth doing. Get it right and you can end up very wealthy. Equally, you could also loose a lot if you get it wrong. Do the research, don't rush into things, and you'll do fine. It's not really that complex to DIY at the most basic level, although the initial learning curve can be a bit intimidating if you have never taken much of an interest in finances before, but that's what the internet/forums are for.

Hey thanks ever so much for your reply:) what websites would I recommend in terms of investing in funds?:)
machomansavage13 h, 7 m ago

Hey thanks ever so much for your reply:) what websites would I recommend …Hey thanks ever so much for your reply:) what websites would I recommend in terms of investing in funds?:)

I can't really help much when it comes to platforms on which to hold your funds. Mine was set up for me by my IFA years ago before I started doing it myself. Each platform will have it's own good/bad points, and you should choose depending on what is important to you. You should be able to find comparisons of the various platforms on the MSE forums if you search there. Personally if I had to choose I'd look for one that is low cost/no frills.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants