Groups
    EXPIRED

How to Keep Fish tank Celan

Hi,

I have a small fish tank, about 15 litres one, I have 8 small fish in that, the tank keeps on forming algae quite Quickly... I Just want to know how to keep it clean from algae for longer period.

From going through Google I can see snails are the best option, If they are best option what are the best ones to have, I am worried if they breed quite quickly of if they become too much for the tank...

55 Comments

Snails are a pain in the ass. Once they're there, you'll never get rid.

Got any plec's?

That fish tank is just too small, you need to get a bigger fish tank and then make sure you get a filter which needs to be cycled. Go to any fish keeping forum and you'll find info there for beginners.

Can you not get those fish that suck onto the inside of the glass? I think they help clean it x

Original Poster

http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/ashokparchuri/hukdfish/WP_20140618_005_zps6c4001d4.jpg
    http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/ashokparchuri/hukdfish/WP_20140618_004_zpsbf03d647.jpg
    http://i854.photobucket.com/albums/ab102/ashokparchuri/hukdfish/WP_20140618_003_zpsac1b40a7.jpg

Yea, a decent filter is a must!

hocka

Can you not get those fish that suck onto the inside of the glass? I … Can you not get those fish that suck onto the inside of the glass? I think they help clean it x

Plec's or plecostomus if you're into proper names.

not normal snails they are a massive pain, there are apple snails which are good or plecs are your best option

Original Poster

shanzVIP

That fish tank is just too small, you need to get a bigger fish tank and … That fish tank is just too small, you need to get a bigger fish tank and then make sure you get a filter which needs to be cycled. Go to any fish keeping forum and you'll find info there for beginners.

thanks Will See if I can get a bigger one, The water Is changed only a week again, I can see the algae formed very soon.

hocka

Can you not get those fish that suck onto the inside of the glass? I … Can you not get those fish that suck onto the inside of the glass? I think they help clean it x

I am not sure what's that fish is.. I heard snail will eat fish waste as well, So thinking that might be a good option.

miikeyblue

Snails are a pain in the ass. Once they're there, you'll never get … Snails are a pain in the ass. Once they're there, you'll never get rid.Got any plec's?

Just thinking the best options at the moment. Posted the pics

miikeyblue

Plec's or plecostomus if you're into proper names.

http://fc08.deviantart.net/fs46/i/2009/186/c/f/meh_plecostomus_by_draconiclight831.jpg

They can grow quite big though.

How are you changing the water? A tank that small you will have to do partial water changes weekly and without a filter you will get algae form very quick.

Remove fish and plants!;-)

vics219

Just get a filter like this one.Oh and make sure the tank isn't in direct … Just get a filter like this one.Oh and make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight too.

Was just about to mention the direct sunlight, i'm guessing there's a window behind those blinds.

shanzVIP

That fish tank is just too small, you need to get a bigger fish tank and … That fish tank is just too small, you need to get a bigger fish tank and then make sure you get a filter which needs to be cycled. Go to any fish keeping forum and you'll find info there for beginners.

hocka

miikeyblue

Snails are a pain in the ass. Once they're there, you'll never get … Snails are a pain in the ass. Once they're there, you'll never get rid.Got any plec's?

I found the guys n girlys in pets at home were very helpful when we had fish (I unfortunatly killed them not long later by spraying air freshner near the tank oO)
    They will give you good advice.

vics219

Just get a filter like this one.Oh and make sure the tank isn't in direct … Just get a filter like this one.Oh and make sure the tank isn't in direct sunlight too.

Also don't feed them after midnight.

And don't get them wet...
    Edited by: "miikeyblue" 18th Jun 2014

miikeyblue

They can grow quite big though.

OMG oO

transit

Was just about to mention the direct sunlight, i'm guessing there's a … Was just about to mention the direct sunlight, i'm guessing there's a window behind those blinds.

Yup! Bet OP only closed the blind to get a good pic too

Move the tank to somewhere well away from direct light and buy a little filter OP, and you'll hardly ever have to clean the tank.

Original Poster

Thanks there is a Window Just behind... Will look into getting new filter, Changing the water once in a 10 days or so...

Mikeyblue that fish looks too big... What is the option with snails?

And from the photo are you able to tell the name of fish I have?

hocka

OMG oO

That's nothing.

[img]encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRJTfRL-vZfmYcvSyEndN7yD_KC2n-f9E3NlS7yeyVVangM7RaD[/img]

miikeyblue

Also don't feed them after midnight.And don't get them wet...

http://i637.photobucket.com/albums/uu100/MacDragoon/mogwai.gif

Banned

Your tank is way to small for that type of fish in quantity, do not buy a plec of any sort as you are overstocked as it is and most plecs get pretty big. Your tank is the right size for nano critters like the tiny shrimp or at a push the pigmy breeds of fish. You need a much larger tank. Suitable snails would be apple snails, they can grow to the size of a golf ball and you only need one but they will munch algae or leftover food. Try to only feed your fish a pinch or two of tropical fish flakes a day and bloodworms once a week and always try to remove uneaten food. Would reccomend joining a fish forum and if you are buying from places like pets at home ALWAYS check what they tell you with i fo on the net they will say anything for a sale

ashok

Thanks there is a Window Just behind... Will look into getting new … Thanks there is a Window Just behind... Will look into getting new filter, Changing the water once in a 10 days or so...Mikeyblue that fish looks too big... What is the option with snails?And from the photo are you able to tell the name of fish I have?

You can get little plec's. They're about an inch or so long at point of sale, pets at home or your local aquaria will have them. But they can grow big, too big for your tank for sure. There's a common myth that they only grow to fit the tank that they're in, but this is rubbish, don't ever believe it. Mine never lasted long enough to grow that much though
    Edited by: "miikeyblue" 18th Jun 2014

vics219

Yup! Bet OP only closed the blind to get a good pic too :DMove the tank … Yup! Bet OP only closed the blind to get a good pic too :DMove the tank to somewhere well away from direct light and buy a little filter OP, and you'll hardly ever have to clean the tank.

Hmmmmm

http://media-cdn.tripadvisor.com/media/photo-s/05/09/28/f8/may-de-ville-backpackers.jpg

ashok

Thanks there is a Window Just behind... Will look into getting new … Thanks there is a Window Just behind... Will look into getting new filter, Changing the water once in a 10 days or so...Mikeyblue that fish looks too big... What is the option with snails?And from the photo are you able to tell the name of fish I have?

Probably the most important rule for keeping fish, is never to have the tank near direct sunlight. That is your problem... well you also need a filter, but it's the sunlight that makes the algae.
    Edited by: "vics219" 18th Jun 2014

transit

Hmmmmm

It's an option X)

Something like these are great when changing water, siphons water out and saves a lot of time, and also remember to treat water when doing changes as well And you look like you have platys.

Water siphoning cleaner

Holly1985

Your tank is way to small for that type of fish in quantity, do not buy a … Your tank is way to small for that type of fish in quantity, do not buy a plec of any sort as you are overstocked as it is and most plecs get pretty big. Your tank is the right size for nano critters like the tiny shrimp or at a push the pigmy breeds of fish. You need a much larger tank. Suitable snails would be apple snails, they can grow to the size of a golf ball and you only need one but they will munch algae or leftover food. Try to only feed your fish a pinch or two of tropical fish flakes a day and bloodworms once a week and always try to remove uneaten food. Would reccomend joining a fish forum and if you are buying from places like pets at home ALWAYS check what they tell you with i fo on the net they will say anything for a sale

When we went to Pets At Home they actually refused to sell us a fish! They asked us what size tank we had (it was a baby biorb) and what other/how many fish we had. When I told them they said because the tank would be crowded we will not sell you one of our fish. oO

hocka

When we went to Pets At Home they actually refused to sell us a fish! … When we went to Pets At Home they actually refused to sell us a fish! They asked us what size tank we had (it was a baby biorb) and what other/how many fish we had. When I told them they said because the tank would be crowded we will not sell you one of our fish. oO

Its not their plaice to tell you that.

hocka

When we went to Pets At Home they actually refused to sell us a fish! … When we went to Pets At Home they actually refused to sell us a fish! They asked us what size tank we had (it was a baby biorb) and what other/how many fish we had. When I told them they said because the tank would be crowded we will not sell you one of our fish. oO

Sounds like a responsible pet shop to me! They also won't sell them if your tank hasn't been set up for more than a week.

miikeyblue

curvature of the shell?

anyhow.. im phoning rspca

transit

Its not their plaice to tell you that.

Oh cod, it's not gonna turn into one of these threads is it?

miikeyblue

It batter not!

hocka

It batter not!

Agreed. Pun threads are complete carp.

miikeyblue

I danio what you're acting so Koi about

Totally agree about the sunlight-move the tank into a darker room and it will make all the difference.

whilst i can't comment on how to solve your algae problem i have found you some ornaments to buy because it looks a little lonely in there.

http://duckduckgrayduck.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/nintendo-fish-aquarium.jpg

Original Poster

Sy83

whilst i can't comment on how to solve your algae problem i have found … whilst i can't comment on how to solve your algae problem i have found you some ornaments to buy because it looks a little lonely in there.

Looks Cool....

Sy83

whilst i can't comment on how to solve your algae problem i have found … whilst i can't comment on how to solve your algae problem i have found you some ornaments to buy because it looks a little lonely in there.

I suddenly have a desire to buy a fish tank... X)

Original Poster

Anyway looks like the topic is diverted...

I'll take it away from sunlight, get a filter and what I have to do if it still forming Algae...?

Original Poster

Any suggestions on the best device to clean the gravel...?
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. Does the app aznog still work?22
      2. Best Custom ROM for XIaomi Redmi Note 233
      3. Virgin Media TV67
      4. Samsung 4k TVs which one 49/55inch curved? £1.50023

See more discussions