Expired

How to kill dandelions but not the whole lawn/grass?

Found 14th May 2013
Basically over the last couple of weeks my lawn has become infested with hundreds of dandelions... Is there any way of getting rid without having to individually pull up/out each weed? The lawn in question is similar in size to a small football pitch so would no doubt take me an age to go up and down pulling weeds. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance guys.
Community Updates
Ask
19 Comments
I've got the same problem m8,I did go round when the sun was out pulling the heads off but gave up the day after as there was more
You can either use a broadcast feed and weed preparation - granules that you spread or get a glyphosate-based spot weedkiller spray. I use the spray as it's cheaper and faster - only takes 5 minutes to go round and squirt them all and you can get the spray in Poundland and other bargain stores.
toosmiles

I've got the same problem m8,I did go round when the sun was out pulling … I've got the same problem m8,I did go round when the sun was out pulling the heads off but gave up the day after as there was more

Ye I started but gave up after 30 mins as I was getting nowhere.
ceres

You can either use a broadcast feed and weed preparation - granules that … You can either use a broadcast feed and weed preparation - granules that you spread or get a glyphosate-based spot weedkiller spray. I use the spray as it's cheaper and faster - only takes 5 minutes to go round and squirt them all and you can get the spray in Poundland and other bargain stores.

Will this not ruin the grass around the weed though? I've sprayed round-up before and it just leaves brown stains.
I've used lawn weed killer sprays before without any issues.
If you get spray on the grass surrounding the weeds, it will be affected but lawn grass is tough and it soon grows back.
I can highly recommend green thumb lawn services if you have one near you.
Our front lawn is shared with our next door neighbour's and she has her half treated by them and we don't. Her side is completely weed-free and lush, whereas ours is dandelion/daisy haven!
I used a well known lawn weed and feed for same problem towards the end of summer last year which did work however this year the dandelions have returned with a vengeance
Got the same problem, so would like an answer for this as well.
You Monsters!!! oO
Whats wrong with the dandelions ,later makes great wine,hic!
Use the granule type weed and feed treatment, but make sure it is watered in.
You'll be fine using a weed killer on the grass. I remember learning in high school (a long time ago mind) and the structure of a weed leaf is different to grass. So the weed killer doesn't kill straight leaves aka grass.
Get a proper broad leaf weed killer and spray them, do not use anything glyphosate based as this will also kill your lawn
Have a look for something called Verdone Lawn Weedkiller. It will kill most weeds in a lawn (including dandelions) but doesnt kill the grass. You should be able to get it in concentrate form or ready to use spray gun.
Cut the lawn?
J_D

Cut the lawn?

That will only spread the seed, and grow even more dandelions.
Borrow some Guinea Pigs. They love them.
usr a systemic weed killer (from poundland) try and spray only the flower or leaf, then just leave them to die, it will kill the root
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions