Expired

How to kill Honey bees (Apis Mellifera) which have nested in my loft.

Found 1st Jun 2014
Hi, I have a problem of Honey Bees (Apis Mellifera) nesting in my loft (estimates online between 30,000 to 60,000 bees). I or a professional bee keeper cannot gain access the nest (of which I wouldn't even contemplate doing) but I can see and access a small entrance/exit hole that the Bees are flying in and out which is an external mortar joint at the top eaves section of my roof.

I have read online that using Borax Powder dusted into the mortar joint will eventually kill the bees as they carry the powder on there bodies back to the nest and contaminate all the other bees and eventually kill them as well. Has anyone tried using Borax Powder, and if so did it work, and where did you buy the Borax Powder from in the UK as it is not easily available.

I have also read online that Rentokil Wasp Powder will do the same although it does not state on the packaging or on the Rentokil website that it specifically will kill bees, it states Effective within 24 hours, the Rentokil Wasp Nest Killer Powder is designed for the control of wasp nests in and around the home.

Ideal for use when nest is not visible or accessible, use this product when you can see wasp activity (corner of a roof, air vent, under tiles etc.) without visibility or accessibility of nests. This product contains Bendiocarb.

I have already been stung by the bees in my garden, I don't blame the bees and I love nature and I really hate to get rid of them but with small children around and no other options available I really need to get rid of the nest quickly. Any ideas please especially about the Borax Powder?
Community Updates
16 Comments
I think it is illegal to kill bees isn't it? Have you tried contacting a bee association as I am sure they would have some ideas as to rescuing them rather than killing them.

Try these for example:

http://bumblebeeconservation.org/

http://www.bbka.org.uk/help/do_you_have_a_swarm.php

Bees will not hurt you unless you provoke them or disturb them. If you leave them alone they will leave you alone.
Edited by: "janner66" 1st Jun 2014
Bee's are basically endangered species nowadays and are CRUCIAL to our eco system Do not kill them there must/will be another way.
Find a local bee keeper.
Don't kill them lol. Only a fool would think that!

HTH.
Are they causing a problem there ?

Sad to kill as near critical endanger but isn't illegal to do so - a common misconception

But

bayers product ficam d or any product which has bendiocarb as the active ingredient will be most effective
Edited by: "mrwhitelabel" 1st Jun 2014
Original Poster
Okay, thanks for your comments everyone.
They don't stay long either, fine to leave to themselves.

Neighbour had a hive in their roof. Alright, you could see them, and there was quite a few but it looked more alarming than they actually were.

My window was right next to them and open most of them time and they never bothered me.
Let them bee
Although I understand your concern for your small children and also concern for nature - I would suggest waiting until the winter months before treating the hive area and sealing the entrance

This way you will only be dealing with a small "bee environment" (potentially zero)
can't they be smoked out of the loft. I wouldn't put my kids at risk of bee stings in my house irrespective of what the law may or may not say. My kids safety comes first especially in my property. I would get rid of a bee hive or wasp nest if on my property ASAP using any means possible ignoring any well meaning advice to the contrary. After all its your kids that are at risk of getting stung in their own home and not the ones giving "advice".
bubblesmoney

can't they be smoked out of the loft. I wouldn't put my kids at risk of … can't they be smoked out of the loft. I wouldn't put my kids at risk of bee stings in my house irrespective of what the law may or may not say. My kids safety comes first especially in my property. I would get rid of a bee hive or wasp nest if on my property ASAP using any means possible ignoring any well meaning advice to the contrary. After all its your kids that are at risk of getting stung in their own home and not the ones giving "advice".

I think you are overreacting a little, there is a large difference between bees and wasps! (_;)
sad, just sad
Original Poster
Still reading up on Honey Bees on the net and there's a million and one questions and answers with some forums saying one thing and others saying another, which one is right, well who knows! Can anyone confirm if the bees will eventually go dormant or die off during the winter months within their comb which hopefully can then be safely removed from the building.
I don't know about honey bees, but we've had bumble bee's nest twice in/around our house, each time they went by themselves. Bee's are as many people have mentioned, very important and becoming endangered.

I'm guessing you have already contacted a local bee keeper from your OP? if not then do this first, they are quite valuable and they would be happy to take them from you if they can.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions