How to look after a Goldfish?

The daughter has just come back the local community centre and she's won a Golfish. I popped into the local pet store and the guy told me to buy a bowl, some stones, food and ornament. But I forgot to ask where's the best place to put him, or rather where not to put him. Any advice please.

Thanks.

23 Comments

in the bowl.

Banned

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]man you put too much effort in. Most people just flush them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

deek72;6735610

in the bowl.

:giggle:

Avoid direct sunlight as this promotes algae growth. Make sure that you also get an "oxygenating" plant in there as well. Pet shops sell these. Small pinch of fish food evry 3 days.

deek72;6735610

in the bowl.

Don't forget to add water.

keep it away from John cleese

http://www.jairusdaughter.com/images/goldfish.jpg

You also need a filter & do daily 75% water changes to cycle the filter media, until enough bacteria has grown to convert the ammonia & Nitrite into Nitrate.

jellybaby22;6735632

no where near a cat....from personal experience :-(

Same here, ours ate 10 of our tropical fish, damn thing learnt how to lift the lid off :x

Original Poster

vibeone;6735621

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]man you put too much … [FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]man you put too much effort in. Most people just flush them.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

jellybaby22;6735632

no where near a cat....from personal experience :-(

Surely that was just obvious?

Banned

Shakey Mic;6735837

I'm guessing you don't have kids.

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Navy"]Not allowed...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

ChrisUK;6735720

You also need a filter & do daily 75% water changes to cycle the filter … You also need a filter & do daily 75% water changes to cycle the filter media, until enough bacteria has grown to convert the ammonia & Nitrite into Nitrate.

Think you might scare the poor guy to death so much responsibility. To be honest when its a plain old goldfish i dont think people go to this much trouble. I had a few over the years each lasted a couple of years and i didnt do this...
I agree you need a plant in there and change the water once a week or so if i remember maybe a bit less. Seem to think you have to be careful with temperature change when you put him in new water but cant remember quite how i did that.
In saying that Chris i appreciate you obviously know your stuff but with so much to do...the goldfish might get flushed to save him the bother.

You generally put the plastic bag with the goldfish in, in the water filled fishtank to allow the two lots of water to acclimatise properly. Leave for an hour or so, then it should be safe to pour the fella into his new home

We feed every 3 days, but only change the water once a month. The plant is essential as we see it as it keeps the water oxygenated, thereby reducing need to change water regularily, plus it's a fish food as well. See if the pet shop can find/let you have a water snail as well as this keeps inside cleaner.

KazzyD;6735805

Same here, ours ate 10 of our tropical fish, damn thing learnt how to … Same here, ours ate 10 of our tropical fish, damn thing learnt how to lift the lid off :x

I've sellotaped the lid on ours. Cat just sleeps on top of it now, mainly for the warmth i think.:thumbsup:

Banned

Batter, Peas and Tartar sauce?

jellybaby22;6736068

nope as my cat like kazzyd learnt how to open the lid

Yeah but you were teasing it.:p

Poor cat, probably thought there was a buffet layed on for it.

jellybaby22;6736732

:lol: it was more like pick and mix.....kitty ate 4 fish in 3 hours … :lol: it was more like pick and mix.....kitty ate 4 fish in 3 hours loooooool

God hope they weren't expensive ones.

Goldfish.... bit like men........ attention span about 7 seconds :-D

jellybaby22;6736806

nah i prefer goldfishat least they dont live too long and when you get … nah i prefer goldfishat least they dont live too long and when you get bored you can flush them down the loo.Not that anyone should do that ..............to a goldfish :thumbsup:

:w00t:

If only men fit ;-) :lol:

ClarityofMind;6736764

Goldfish.... bit like men........ attention span about 7 seconds :-D

What's that you say? Sorry, busy breathing at the time

kyalion;6736826

What's that you say? Sorry, busy breathing at the time

Was that heavy breathing??? lol

Hello hun xxxx

Hope you're having a lovely day x
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. What an absolute disgrace2155
    2. Any PS4 News Here29213598
    3. 75% off Sky TV for existing customers. Only works when you call the specifi…17386134
    4. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7764005

See more discussions