Groups

How to make a JPEG editable?

I have a jpeg of a scanned document which is basically a table with rows and columns with text in them. I want to edit some of those and cannot figure out how to do it. I tried converting to pdf or doc and edit the pdf or doc but cannot really edit anything just add text on top etc.

If anyone knows, I'd be grateful. Thanks

11 Comments

Original Poster

chocci

http://www.onlineocr.net/

This didn't work well when I tried it as it failed to recognize the whole document but thanks for the suggestion

krisward7955

Click me

I am on a Mac and don't have Office so can't try it but thanks for the suggestion.

I am trying Adobe Acrobat Pro trial and will see if I can with this

If it is a simple change(s) you could convert to bmp then use paint to make some changes.

If you can get it to work, the suggestions to use OCR are of course the best but OCR on complex (or even simple) tables is not easy. There are some OCR programs which claim to keep complex layouts but unsure how well and they are unlikely to be free.

haworthia's suggestion to use use a bitmap painting program might work too (but you might have to mess around with the anti-aliasing or the text you add might be blurry - but your JPEG might be blurry anyhow).
    However:

mr_geese

I tried converting to pdf or doc and edit the pdf or doc but cannot … I tried converting to pdf or doc and edit the pdf or doc but cannot really edit anything just add text on top etc.

to just add text on top in a PDF program should work too as long as the program lets you specify a background or draw filled rectangles. If the background is white, draw a white rectangle over the text you want to alter, then add new text on top.
    In either case, trying to match the font and layout might be tricky.

Get yourself Paint.NET (free) and look on Youtube on how to use the 'clone brush'

The clone brush will allow you to effectively copy existing numbers in the image to other parts of the image, so you'll be able to edit it and keep the same font.

gimp.org/dow…ads

All OS supported and a relatively simple task. Open Source Freeware and safe.
    Edited by: "getmeone" 15th Feb

If anything works for u can u tell me aswell intrigued if it's possible as a jpeg is a phot format isn't it.

GIMP,

Vector Text

Download the Extract Text script from the GIMP Plugin Registry (kp24_extract_text.scm). Close GIMP, and then use Windows Explorer to copy or move the script to the scripts folder under your GIMP installation directory. The folder's name is similar to this sample one: C:\Program Files\GIMP 2\Share\Gimp\2.0\Scripts

Open GIMP, and then click the "contrib" menu that the Extract Text script added to GIMP's default menus. Click the "Extract" command, and then click the "Input File" button to display a file selection dialog box. Select a GIMP file -- which has the extension XCF -- that has at least one text layer.

Click the "Text File" button, and then enter a file name for the output text file. Click "OK" to extract the text, and then use Windows Explorer to navigate to and open the output text file you specified. The text file displays the extracted text.

Rasterized Text

Open in GIMP an image file that has rasterized text. All JPEGs, GIFs and PNGs, for example, have only rasterized text. By contrast, GIMP and Photoshop files -- extensions XCF and PSD, respectively -- can have vector text.

Click the "Threshold" command under the Colors menu to display the Threshold dialog box. This command maps all colors to black or white depending on the black-white value of each pixel relative to black and white thresholds that you specify. The resulting image shows white text on a black background, which means it has extremely high contrast. This attribute greatly aids in text recognition.

Drag the dialog box's black and white arrow sliders left or right until the image's text is clearly legible. Click "OK" to close the dialog box. Click the "Color" menu's "Value Invert" command to swap the black and white values, which makes it easier for OCR programs to recognize text.

Click the "File" menu and choose the "Export" command. Enter a file name that ends in "JPG" or "PNG," and then click "Export" to save the image to disk.

Use an OCR resource such as Google Drive, Tesseract or FreeOCR (links in Resources) to convert the rasterized text to vector-based, selectable text.

Edited by: "getmeone" 16th Feb

Just a bit of background to your issue.

The jpg stores all information as a grid of different colours. It doesn't care what the colours are or what the mean. A picture of a bowl of fruit is the same as a scan of your document.

A pages (or word) doc stores a series of letters with some extra detail (formating, font etc.).

To convert the first to the second you need something called Optical Character Recognition (or OCR). This looks at a jpg and pics out patterns it recognises as letters. BUT if it is blurry, if it uses an odd font and if you want it to keep an existing format you are asking a HUGE ammount of it.

In all honesty (having ar5ed areound with free OCR in the past), for a single table, by far the quickest method is to retype it...

Unless you only want to change a 1 or 2 things. In this case bring it into pages then put a text box with the new text on top of the bit you want to change.

Original Poster

MynameisM

If anything works for u can u tell me aswell intrigued if it's possible … If anything works for u can u tell me aswell intrigued if it's possible as a jpeg is a phot format isn't it.

Evilmonkey

Just a bit of background to your issue.The jpg stores all information as … Just a bit of background to your issue.The jpg stores all information as a grid of different colours. It doesn't care what the colours are or what the mean. A picture of a bowl of fruit is the same as a scan of your document.A pages (or word) doc stores a series of letters with some extra detail (formating, font etc.).To convert the first to the second you need something called Optical Character Recognition (or OCR). This looks at a jpg and pics out patterns it recognises as letters. BUT if it is blurry, if it uses an odd font and if you want it to keep an existing format you are asking a HUGE ammount of it.In all honesty (having ar5ed areound with free OCR in the past), for a single table, by far the quickest method is to retype it...Unless you only want to change a 1 or 2 things. In this case bring it into pages then put a text box with the new text on top of the bit you want to change.

I have to change quite a few things. I found Adobe Acrobat Pro works well after converting from JPEG to PDF but the problem was that my document had wear from where the sheet of paper was folded and that was preserved as well but if you have a document that's perfect then that application (I used the trial) would work perfectly from what I saw.
    Post a comment
    @
      Text
      Top Discussions
      1. love affairs1756
      2. Charles Wilson Voucher11
      3. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7767292
      4. Seems that Uber will NOT have it's London Licence Renewed by TFL - declarin…1629

See more discussions