How to make bread yeast go further?

Posted 26th Mar
One of the things I've struggled to buy is bread yeast as I, like many I'm sure, am making more of my own bread.
I just have a couple of sachets of the instant yeast left.
So given that yeast is a self-reproducing organism, is there an easy way to make what I have go further?

I know some people have sour-dough starters they keep for years but I'm not necessarily looking for anything so fancy.

Could I put a small amount of yeast (say a 1/4 of the usual amount) in a cup with some warm water and sugar and let it multiply? In which case how do I know how much to add and how long to leave it?

Or can I keep the dough from one lot and use that to seed another loaf?

I mostly use a breadmaker machine if that makes any difference.
Any advice from an experience bakers much appreciated.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

20 Comments
your other problem maybe flour, bread flour is still scarce.
I don't think you can make your own without going the wild yeast (sourdough) path. However there is a no yeast option in Soda bread. My mum used to let a pint of milk go sour on the windowsill and just delicious hot from the oven lashed with butter.

You can sour the milk with lemon. For Irish Soda you just need that milk, flour and bicarb of Soda.

And importantly it is fine to use standard all purpose flour.

Start adding other things like Raisins and you move it into pastry territory.
Use less yeast and let it rise for longer, most bread makers have partial programs to allow you to do stuff like that.
Could you make flatbread as an alternative? It doesn’t use any yeast at all, so it might be worth a try if you’re running low
Presumably you could make a yeast starter, as you would for making real ale or wine.

You need a narrow necked glass bottle like a milk bottle or conical flask, sterilise it thoroughly, put the nutrients and water in, not more than a third to half full, boil it in a saucepan of water, or I guess you could use the microwave. plug the neck with cotton wool or kitchen paper to stop wild yeast getting in, but not the air, and let it cool to the correct temperature for the yeast. Then add the yeast and let it ferment somewhere warm, like the kitchen and out of direct sunlight.

I would guess you would probably start with sugar for the nutrient, then switch to adding flour. Boil any water you add, and let it cool.

I'd suggest googling for bettter advice.
Edited by: "melted" 26th Mar
"How to make bread yeast go further?"

Use your strong hand!
You can make sourdough, you need to make a starter then keep feeding it as you use it. You can make some amazing breads this way...

bbc.co.uk/foo…126

im lucky I always have flour and yeast, I get 16k bags of flour from work and half kilo packets of yeast at a time...
Edited by: "Bargainhead" 26th Mar
This video is for making no knead bread but towards the end it's explained how to use some of the dough to seed the next loaf.
You can freeze yeast and dried yeast to prolong its life. But you can make bread without yeast.
I don’t like soda bread
Bargainhead26/03/2020 13:50

You can make sourdough, you need to make a starter then keep feeding it as …You can make sourdough, you need to make a starter then keep feeding it as you use it. You can make some amazing breads this way...https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/sourdough_starter_with_45126im lucky I always have flour and yeast, I get 16k bags of flour from work and half kilo packets of yeast at a time...

Selling any spare?
donster26/03/2020 13:51

This video is for making no knead bread but towards the end it's explained …This video is for making no knead bread but towards the end it's explained how to use some of the dough to seed the next loaf.[Video]

LOL... Everyone on You Tube is now reposting their videos from years ago with "Pandemic" in the title.

Cooking the perfect roast... In a Pandemic.
Repairing that arcing light switch... In a Pandemic.
Resident Evil speed run... In a pandemic... Surreal
Verbal.Kint26/03/2020 14:07

Selling any spare?

Sorry no, it’s the normal size I get in, not because of panic buying.. make a lot of homemade breads. One less buying in the shops but...
Thanks for the tips. I've got a few bags of flour - hence the yeast is the issue.
I'll try putting less yeast and extending the rise time. I'm guessing I might need some extra sugar?

Presumably proofing a little bit of yeast in warm water and sugar before hand might help as well?
How to make bread yeast go further?

Put some in your pocket and take it for a walk.
Can you not just cut a bit of dough from your bread mix and pop it in the fridge well wrapped up. And just use that as a starter in your next loaf, should last a day or 2 without going sour.

Worth a try.
MonkeysUncle26/03/2020 15:16

Can you not just cut a bit of dough from your bread mix and pop it in the …Can you not just cut a bit of dough from your bread mix and pop it in the fridge well wrapped up. And just use that as a starter in your next loaf, should last a day or 2 without going sour.Worth a try.

That's what the guy in the video did. Going to try it... when I can get some flour!
Bargainhead26/03/2020 14:27

Sorry no, it’s the normal size I get in, not because of panic buying.. m …Sorry no, it’s the normal size I get in, not because of panic buying.. make a lot of homemade breads. One less buying in the shops but...

16kg a week, damn that's a lot of bread to eat - 30 odd loaves? Worth an ask anyway
Verbal.Kint26/03/2020 16:35

16kg a week, damn that's a lot of bread to eat - 30 odd loaves? Worth an …16kg a week, damn that's a lot of bread to eat - 30 odd loaves? Worth an ask anyway

Where did you get a week from lol, I get that size and when it’s gone I order another it might last a month or 6 weeks depending if I make pasta as well..
Bargainhead26/03/2020 16:39

Where did you get a week from lol, I get that size and when it’s gone I o …Where did you get a week from lol, I get that size and when it’s gone I order another it might last a month or 6 weeks depending if I make pasta as well..

Yeah, misread work for week. Thought it was a lot to get through
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Discussions

Top Merchants