How to make perfect 1:1 backup or image of a bootable micro SD/USB?

Posted 11th May 2023
I have a bootable micro SD card (Batocera retro gaming build) that can be booted directly from. I would like to make a copy of that will boot in the same way, so it needs to be an exact 1:1 copy. The thing is as it doesn't use a conventional Windows file system, it isn't 'seen' by Windows and therefore simple things like copying the files over in the file explorer aren't an option (plus these would miss hidden files).

So I was wondering if anyone knows of a good (free + ideally easy to use) utility that can simply make an direct 1:1 copy of a bootable micro SD or USB, or else let me create a perfect image that I can use to recreate the bootable micro SD?

Many thanks for any suggestions.
Community Updates
New Comment

7 Comments

sorted by
's avatar
    Palwan
    UltraISO
    paulj48
    just be careful of SD card sizes, not all have the exact number of byes available on them. Even if you have free space on your source card a backup image will be of the whole card. I believe Samsung Extreme for example are slightly bigger than the corresponding Sandisk.
    aLV426
    Spook! I created my own bootable Batocera boot drive yesterday - use the tool they promote on the web page to make a clone - balenaEtcher-Portable-1.18.4 (I used the portable version - there is also an installable version wiki.batocera.org/ins…era)
    You could also try Rufus...
    50162167-Eljkh.jpg
    Simply click on "clone drive" choose the source, select the target, click flash and you are done! (edited)
    ST3123 Author
    Thanks for all the helpful replies

I initially went with balenaEtcher, which does seem to do exactly what I wanted but with one caveat, it doesn't allow you to create an image on the HDD (unless I missed an option) instead requiring source and target be connected at the same time. This may not seem a problem, but in my case I am looking to copy from one micro SD to another, but only have one micro SD reader in the system doh!
    JamesSmith
    Did you find a solution? After something similar...
's avatar
Discussions
Top Merchants