How to open disc drive in iMac?

Posted 2nd Jan
Hi all,
Another day another problem, this time I have the iMac crt one with everything inside. I have been told to reset the mac and then sell it, but I cannot open the disc compartment of the computer as I don't have the original keyboard which had the eject button.
I have the original mac os disc but no way to insert and reset the system.
So any ideas on how to open the disc drive?
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

34 Comments
What model is your iMac?
There's a few options to try:

Drag your disc icon to trash - turns trash into eject and hopefully should eject the disc.

Command button and 'E' - same as eject button on keyboard.

Restart Mac and directly after you hear the chime, press and hold left mouse button.
Lifted this from discussions.apple.com/thr…907
You can obviously ignore “a)”

“a) press the ⏏ button on the keyboard (top right)

or

b) Drag the disc icon on the desktop to the Trash - the Trash will turn into the eject symbol (⏏)

or

c) press ⌘ and E together

or

d) ctrl-click on the disc icon and choose 'eject' from the menu
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 2nd Jan
I don't have a mac keyboard, only normal pc keyboard.
psychedelicrenegade02/01/2020 18:01

There's a few options to try:Drag your disc icon to trash - turns trash …There's a few options to try:Drag your disc icon to trash - turns trash into eject and hopefully should eject the disc.Command button and 'E' - same as eject button on keyboard.Restart Mac and directly after you hear the chime, press and hold left mouse button.

There is no disc icon as there is no disc inside the mac.
Does it have an eject hole ?
kester7602/01/2020 18:11

Does it have an eject hole ?

Not that I see but will have closer look.
gill2102/01/2020 18:10

May I ask why you are trying to open it then? Do you mean actually "open" the iMac itself to get to the disc drive?
Phsycronix02/01/2020 18:16

May I ask why you are trying to open it then? Do you mean actually "open" …May I ask why you are trying to open it then? Do you mean actually "open" the iMac itself to get to the disc drive?

I'm trying to open the disc drive so that I can put the os disc in and reset the computer.

Its like this one... This
Edited by: "gill21" 2nd Jan
gill2102/01/2020 18:08

I don't have a mac keyboard, only normal pc keyboard.

⌘ or Command key = Windows key on pc keyboard
Edited by: "captainbeaky" 2nd Jan
gill2102/01/2020 18:22

I'm trying to open the disc drive so that I can put the os disc in and …I'm trying to open the disc drive so that I can put the os disc in and reset the computer.

Ah, ok. I haven't dabbled with Mac for a loooong while so I'm not going to be the best of help. Not being silly but how would you be able to sell it if it doesn't have the correct keyboard? Wouldn't the buyer want a 'working' iMac too?

Just as another angle, if you have USB, you could perhaps get a cheap external drive and do it that way...
gill2102/01/2020 18:10

Ok. Is your disc drive a tray or a static disc in / disc out option?

You've already been asked - what's the model of your Mac?
Phsycronix02/01/2020 18:27

Ah, ok. I haven't dabbled with Mac for a loooong while so I'm not going to …Ah, ok. I haven't dabbled with Mac for a loooong while so I'm not going to be the best of help. Not being silly but how would you be able to sell it if it doesn't have the correct keyboard? Wouldn't the buyer want a 'working' iMac too?Just as another angle, if you have USB, you could perhaps get a cheap external drive and do it that way...

Would it be possible to do thru usb as I do have a usb but don't know how to boot mac from usb.
Captainbeaky & psychedelicrenegade are on the right track. There are several articles about opening the disc tray on Google. As already mentioned:

G4 iMac, how do I open the CD drive?
Hold down the mouse button from the time you hear the chime and keep it down. Door should open.
psychedelicrenegade02/01/2020 18:29

Ok. Is your disc drive a tray or a static disc in / disc out option?You've …Ok. Is your disc drive a tray or a static disc in / disc out option?You've already been asked - what's the model of your Mac?

Its the same one as the one on ebay one that I posted a few posts up, I don't know the model number off-hand.
gill2102/01/2020 18:32

Would it be possible to do thru usb as I do have a usb but don't know how …Would it be possible to do thru usb as I do have a usb but don't know how to boot mac from usb.

I couldn't tell you, my friend. If it's like PC, you'd need to change the boot order in the Bios. Have you tried ALL the methods mentioned already? The "holding mouse" sounds like a good call...
Not tried yet but will try tomorrow morning
gill2102/01/2020 18:37

Not tried yet but will try tomorrow morning

Hopefully you'll be successful. Report back on how you get on, gill21.
Phsycronix02/01/2020 18:39

Hopefully you'll be successful. Report back on how you get on, gill21.

Yes will do an update.
gill2102/01/2020 18:32

Would it be possible to do thru usb as I do have a usb but don't know how …Would it be possible to do thru usb as I do have a usb but don't know how to boot mac from usb.

Not my knowledge - lifted directly from Acronis.

How to boot a Mac from USB media

Getting your Mac to load from a USB drive is fairly straightforward.

Insert the USB boot media into an open USB slot.Press the Power button to turn on your Mac (or Restart your Mac if it’s already on).When you hear the startup chime, press and hold the Option key. Holding that key gives you access to OS X’s Startup Manager. Once the Startup Manager screen appears, release the Option key. The utility will look for any available drives that include bootable content.Using either the pointer or arrow keys on the keyboard, select the USB drive you wish to boot from.Once selected, either hit the Return key or double-click your selection. The machine will start to boot from the USB drive.NOTE: Have multiple USB devices connected to your Mac? Don’t worry. The Startup Manager only lists drives that include bootable content.
Which is the Option key in a normal keyboard?
Can you hold down the mouse button whilst turning it on ?
kester7602/01/2020 20:32

Can you hold down the mouse button whilst turning it on ?

I'll be trying tomorrow late morning so after 10am
I might have missed this in the comments but are you sure your Mac has a cd/dvd drive. My iMac late 2013 hasn’t got one.
neutech02/01/2020 21:28

I might have missed this in the comments but are you sure your Mac has a …I might have missed this in the comments but are you sure your Mac has a cd/dvd drive. My iMac late 2013 hasn’t got one.

I was going to ask the same question from the off but just assumed the OP knew they had an optical drive.

The link the OP supplied, that Mac doesn't look like it has optical.

I might have missed this in the comments but are you sure your Mac has a …I might have missed this in the comments but are you sure your Mac has a cd/dvd drive. My iMac late 2013 hasn’t got one.

the one he has is way older than that
I’m not sure if this will work with the OS version, but two things you can try, go into disk management and the drive should show up there to right click and eject, or in finder go to the settings for finder and there could be an option to show disconnected devices. The drive may show up then for right click open

The one I have its probably 2004 or earlier and it differently has an optical drive, its where the apple logo is in the ebay photos.

.... I'll get the pic of the tray tomorrow when I try to open it

UPDATE 2
This video shows the cd drive opened at 3.01.
YouTube
Edited by: "gill21" 2nd Jan
Yes! Holding the mouse worked thanks for the suggestion.
Holding the windows and E never worked.
There is a small hole near the CD drive which I put in a small pin but nothing happened.

Have not tried anything else as holding mouse worked fine.
UPDATE

I managed to open the CD drive but unfortunately it's not reading the dvd so I'll have to use the USB bit I can't seem to get into recovery mode for me to boot from USB.
Should I just copy the dvd content to a USB and then just insert it on the mac or will I have to use something like Rufus to make a boot able USB, is there a program to make bootable USB for mac?

Any ideas?
Edited by: "gill21" 3rd Jan
gill2103/01/2020 15:56

UPDATEI managed to open the CD drive but unfortunately it's not reading …UPDATEI managed to open the CD drive but unfortunately it's not reading the dvd so I'll have to use the USB bit I can't seem to get into recovery mode for me to boot from USB.Should I just copy the dvd content to a USB and then just insert it on the mac or will I have to use something like Rufus to make a boot able USB, is there a program to make bootable USB for mac? Any ideas?

Hey Gill

Good you at least got the drive to open.

Here's a link with info on creating a bootable usb: macworld.co.uk/how…amp

Your drive belt (elastic band) could have disintegrated and thus not being driven by the motor. It's fairly common.
Edited by: "psychedelicrenegade" 3rd Jan
psychedelicrenegade03/01/2020 18:41

Hey GillGood you at least got the drive to open.Here's a link with info on …Hey GillGood you at least got the drive to open.Here's a link with info on creating a bootable usb: https://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/mac-software/bootable-mac-installer-3575875/?ampYour drive belt (elastic band) could have disintegrated and thus not being driven by the motor. It's fairly common.

Thanks buddy, I follow this up
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions