Found 16th Jan 2008
Just wondering if anyone can tell me - is it important to keep painting in the same direction when using a paint roller? I know it's important with a brush 'cos you can see the brushstrokes, is it the same with a roller? Thanks for your help, I'm painting right now!

1. Misc
  2. Paint
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Paint
9 Comments

Banned

i dont think so as it leaves no lines like a brush

Banned

gloss - yes

emulsion - not really

No a roller can be done any way you choose, i recently moved house and did the whole house with a roller and wasnt paying any attention to direction and it looks lovely

Banned

pinkkitty2007;1462462

No a roller can be done any way you choose, i recently moved house and … No a roller can be done any way you choose, i recently moved house and did the whole house with a roller and wasnt paying any attention to direction and it looks lovely

not for gloss you cant

You really shouldn't be using a roller for gloss (something to do with the paint reacting with the roller).

Original Poster

Thanks everyone, have taken your advice and painted any old direction and you're right, it works! Lovely, cheers!

cis_groupie;1462763

You really shouldn't be using a roller for gloss (something to do with … You really shouldn't be using a roller for gloss (something to do with the paint reacting with the roller).

Most 'gloss' these days is water based thanks to our friends at the EU, can't have all these nasty VOC's in the air yada, yada. Bloody useless stuff it is too, thats why I buy 'trade' gloss. Gotta have the stink else you lose the enjoyment. As for rollering gloss, not good anyway as it always 'lifts'. Only time I ever used a roller was to gloss the floor boards in my loft. Sod doing 12x17foot with a brush :w00t:

As for the ops original question (assuming, or rather hoping its emulsion), the more random the better, that goes for brush as well but feather in one direction to remove any streaks.

Banned

Shengis;1465113

Most 'gloss' these days is water based thanks to our friends at the EU, … Most 'gloss' these days is water based thanks to our friends at the EU, can't have all these nasty VOC's in the air yada, yada. Bloody useless stuff it is too, thats why I buy 'trade' gloss. Gotta have the stink else you lose the enjoyment. As for rollering gloss, not good anyway as it always 'lifts'. Only time I ever used a roller was to gloss the floor boards in my loft. Sod doing 12x17foot with a brush :w00t:As for the ops original question (assuming, or rather hoping its emulsion), the more random the better, that goes for brush as well but feather in one direction to remove any streaks.

Try those mini-gloss rollers. Absolutely brilliant and leaves a very smooth uniform surface with no lifting once roller is paintlogged.

i like using the paint pads. Less mess and covers well. Also seems to use less paint overall
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Anger over Donald Trump's UK crime tweet3472
    2. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769600
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247665
    4. US GrandPrix Razzmatazz33

See more discussions