How to paint over old kitchen paint?

Posted 28th SepEdited by:"ran123ran"
I am going to paint my mum and dads kitchen but have a few questions before i start.

Their kitchen was last painted 15 years ago using dulux kitchen paint which has gone dark and grimey over cooker area. I have cleaned this up but its still not as bright as the other parts of the kitchen.

To get a good finish, should i treat it with something? Like a layer of special type of paint before painting over with new kitchen paint? I am going to paint in dulux easycare white kitchen paint.

Thanks.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

14 Comments
You can put white primer over existing paint and then paint your chosen colour over the primer. Make sure to give couple of coats for either.
Edited by: "adamey19" 28th Sep
Use sugar soap to clean the existing paint then give it a light sand using a fine sandpaper before painting it using the new paint.
Use citrus cleaner... any you can pick up from the supermarket. Then wash over with just water. Then damp microfibre cloth. Worry is stains coming through from all the cooking, but only way is to test small patch and see. If it stains through emulsion, go get some zinsser cover stain, but allow to cure for 4 days. Then emulsion paint over top. Put feet up..
Edited by: "wayners" 28th Sep
wayners28/09/2019 11:19

Use citrus cleaner... any you can pick up from the supermarket. Then wash …Use citrus cleaner... any you can pick up from the supermarket. Then wash over with just water. Then damp microfibre cloth. Worry is stains coming through from all the cooking, but only way is to test small patch and see. If it stains through emulsion, go get some zinsser cover stain, but allow to cure for 4 days. Then emulsion paint over top. Put feet up..

I used this Zinsser stuff to cover a stain on kitchen ceiling. Painted over with kitchen pain. 6 months later paint started cracking. Only in the area where the Zinsser was used
38562812-apgE0.jpg
Edited by: "Gollywood" 28th Sep
What caused the stain? Did you give coverstain 4 days to cure..Think data sheet says 5 but I go with 4...
Edited by: "wayners" 28th Sep
Omg. That's some thick paint...I'm guessing that's more than what you painted on coming off. Layers and layers. I've done similar where the original paint layer has failed.
38562898-QzDNU.jpg
wayners28/09/2019 11:47

What caused the stain? Did you give coverstain 4 days to cure..Think data …What caused the stain? Did you give coverstain 4 days to cure..Think data sheet says 5 but I go with 4...

Rain damage. I waited a day before painting How can I put right?
Edited by: "Gollywood" 28th Sep
In response to OP I would be tempted to ensure there is no current flaking paint or likely to flake, then clean surface as thoroughly as possible, eventually ensuring the surfaces are free of any grease or whatever you used to clean. Leave at least 24 hours - preferably much longer. Buy some PVA glue and mix with water - dilute to a consistency that will ensure it sticks to the wall - not too thick but not runny either. This is a primer (you can buy it ready mixed). In effect you are putting on a coat of runny glue which after it has dried and then painted on means the paint covers the glue - not the painted wall behind. May need a couple of coats still.
Gollywood28/09/2019 13:13

Rain damage. I waited a day before painting How can I put …Rain damage. I waited a day before painting How can I put right?

Get off back to good. Prime with something like coverstain or 123. Fill. Paint..Although many will say overboard, skim and paint. Check its still not leaking though
wayners28/09/2019 13:21

Get off back to good. Prime with something like coverstain or 123. Fill. …Get off back to good. Prime with something like coverstain or 123. Fill. Paint..Although many will say overboard, skim and paint. Check its still not leaking though

Leak was fixed last year
I'd paint over it with a cheap white and then the colour of your choice on top of that
Wash it down with soap an water , once its dried you can paint the walls using a primer type of paint or just a normal white paint, both ways work giving walls a nice base to paint over using the colour you want. Give the walls TWO coats of white paint/white primer as it will cover up the old colour on walls an gives you a fresh clean base to paint the new colour you've chosen. Don't think you have to buy cleaning products that can be expensive to clean off years of discoloration because soap an water will work an what doesn't clean off will not clean off with any type of cleaning products. TWO coats of white paint ( which by the way is cheaper than white primer ) works best.
Pva is available in Poundland.
Could try removing all the old paint with a heat gun bit time consuming though other then that slap some primer on wait 24 hours then use whatever paint
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants