how to pick a smart phone

9 replies
Found 8th Mar 2011
just wanted some help picking a smart phone that is PAYG, but will do all the things surf the internet, mp3 play games, twitter all that jazz.
oh camera
and what I have to look for
any decent suggestions would be most helpful

thank you in advance

9 Comments

Budget?

Orange San Fransisco seems to get good reviews for a budget option. HTC Desire/iPhone if you have more

San Francisco will do everything you mention BUT the camera is toss!

Might be worth mentioning here.......
I have always made do with a pretty naff PAYG mobile in the past. Recently a friend who had recieved a free upgrade phone (HTC HD7) said I could use it if I wanted and just swap sim from the PAYG to the HTC.
I somehow managed to use £60 PAYG credit in less than 24 hours using the HTC. Fortunately I had only paid for £20 of that.
But at the moment I have gone back to the cheapy until I work out what eats up all the credit.
PAYG may not actually be cheaper!!!!!

With any smartphone it would be recommended to have unlimited data. You may find a GiffGaff sim with one of their goodybags more beneficial in the long run

sancho1983

With any smartphone it would be recommended to have unlimited data. You … With any smartphone it would be recommended to have unlimited data. You may find a GiffGaff sim with one of their goodybags more beneficial in the long run

Good point. I wasnt aware if it was just that the settings were wrong on the phone or whether I was doing something wrong.
Can you keep your old number if moving to a giffgaff sim?

WoolyM

Might be worth mentioning here.......I have always made do with a pretty … Might be worth mentioning here.......I have always made do with a pretty naff PAYG mobile in the past. Recently a friend who had recieved a free upgrade phone (HTC HD7) said I could use it if I wanted and just swap sim from the PAYG to the HTC. I somehow managed to use £60 PAYG credit in less than 24 hours using the HTC. Fortunately I had only paid for £20 of that.But at the moment I have gone back to the cheapy until I work out what eats up all the credit. PAYG may not actually be cheaper!!!!!

The problem is most smartphones are constantly connected to the internet, hence you need a data package to control the cost. If you've been using a "naff" PAYG phone you probably don't have an data allowances for your sim, hence the increase in cost...

sancho1983

With any smartphone it would be recommended to have unlimited data. You … With any smartphone it would be recommended to have unlimited data. You may find a GiffGaff sim with one of their goodybags more beneficial in the long run

+1

Also 3 now do 300min, 3000 texts and "all you can eat data"* for £15 on PAYG. *(80GB fair use)!

sancho1983

Agree, I have just purchased a San Francisco and use the GiffGaff £10 / month goody bag. 250 mins, unlimited text and data (no cap). No contract, just renew each month.

San Fran is a great phone for the price (£89) but depends what budget you have.
Obviously there is better if you have the money.

Original Poster

thanks for the advice
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Whatsup number, confused44
    2. What is gearbest like on warranty?79
    3. changing a dimmer swith to normal light switch34
    4. Swimming goggles for 3 year old21

See more discussions