How to play Netflix US on TV using NordVPN and Chromecast

Posted 17th Mar 2019
Hi guys and gals.

I recently bought NordVPN to bypass geolocation on some streaming. Netflix US plays fine but as soon as I try and cast onto the TV via a Chromecast I get the following message:

"We're having problems playing this title right now. Please choose another title or try again later."

I tried to cast it via my fire TV pendant and got the same message.

How can I cast it onto my TV as don't really want to watch a movie on my phone, tablet or laptop.

Cheers.
Community Updates
Ask

Groups

16 Comments
deleted1447778
Have you setup your Chromecast to use NordVPN? because unless you mirror your device it's not going to be using NordVPN.

That would be my best guess as I don't own a Chromecast
Edited by: "deleted1447778" 17th Mar 2019
deleted144777817/03/2019 11:30

Have you setup your Chromecast to use NordVPN? because unless you mirror …Have you setup your Chromecast to use NordVPN? because unless you mirror your device it's not going to be using NordVPN

I haven't done anything to my chromecast or fire TV pendant. How do I do this?
You will need to set up the vpn on your router
deleted1447778
@SixFeet

No idea don't own either, I just know when you cast something say to a Chromecast, the Chromecast streams the movie/tv straight from netflix, unless your mirroring a device then it's streaming from the device.

Of course I could be completely wrong but I don't think I am?
ch7leach2 h, 35 m ago

You will need to set up the vpn on your router

This, you need to have all devices working on the same network. Best way is to get a Windscribe vpn and they have the ability to use it with a fire stick.
You can't cast to another device that's not using the same VPN. This is quite a pain unfortunately but casting has to be done over the same network.
deleted1447778
You should still be able to watch Netflix by mirroring your device that's running Netflix/VPN, it's just casting you cant do.
deleted144777817/03/2019 19:20

You should still be able to watch Netflix by mirroring your device that's …You should still be able to watch Netflix by mirroring your device that's running Netflix/VPN, it's just casting you cant do.

Screen mirroring doesn't work for me with VPN either.
deleted1447778
jamie1526 m ago

Yeah, now I think about it that would make sense.
deleted1447778
jamie1517/03/2019 20:38

Have you tried starting the mirroring with the VPN disabled, then switching the VPN on.

I ask because I can still browes shares I have stored on my ipad with VPN enabled, I just can't search/see new shares.
deleted144777817/03/2019 21:16

Have you tried starting the mirroring with the VPN disabled, then …Have you tried starting the mirroring with the VPN disabled, then switching the VPN on.I ask because I can still browes shares I have stored on my ipad with VPN enabled, I just can't search/see new shares.

Good idea. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time, not sure if it will work though.
deleted1447778
jamie1517/03/2019 21:17

Good idea. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time, not sure if it will work …Good idea. Maybe I'll give that a shot next time, not sure if it will work though.

I guess it will depend on whether it loses the address of the device your sending to when you enable the VPN.

I assume when your VPN is enabled you can't see your other chromecast devices to mirror to?
deleted144777817/03/2019 21:33

I guess it will depend on whether it loses the address of the device your …I guess it will depend on whether it loses the address of the device your sending to when you enable the VPN.I assume when your VPN is enabled you can't see your other chromecast devices to mirror to?

Sometimes I can see my Home Hub on the casting list with VPN, but when I try to cast it won't work.
deleted1447778
jamie1517/03/2019 21:35

Sometimes I can see my Home Hub on the casting list with VPN, but when I …Sometimes I can see my Home Hub on the casting list with VPN, but when I try to cast it won't work.

Hmmmm, maybe it's like a ghost share and can't really see it.

I don't think Chromecast is the ideal solution when using a VPN, unless you can set up the VPN in your router.
deleted144777817/03/2019 21:50

Hmmmm, maybe it's like a ghost share and can't really see it.I don't think …Hmmmm, maybe it's like a ghost share and can't really see it.I don't think Chromecast is the ideal solution when using a VPN, unless you can set up the VPN in your router.

I agree, not the best idea. A wired connection would probably be best if VPN cannot be configured (or if the OP doesn't want to configure one) on the router.
Cheers for all the help guys. I managed to get netflix US to cast onto the chromecast via the Chrome on a laptop but the sound and video quality was poor and lagging.

If you require the same VPN on the device to cast, are you able to install nordvpn on my fire tv pendant? Maybe via HDMI from the laptop to the TV I guess?

I really was wanting to cast onto my TV. Not really interested in watching films on a tablet or laptop.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants