Expired

How to remove clothes dye from an enamel radiator

Found 27th Jun 2014
Hi All,
Just wondered if anyone has any constructive ideas on how to remove what looks like dye stain from a towel placed over a hot radiator. I've had a look on other forums and they have suggested using Dylon 'dye remover' or strong neat bleach. I don't want to paint the radiator as it's not long brand new. Any advise or anyone tried the above and how good was the result.
Thankyou in advance.
Community Updates
AskRadiatorClothes
14 Comments
Try whitening toothpaste. Worked for me on the pipes with trickles of rust.
I was also going to say toothpaste. Give it a try x
I've found some eucryl, I'll give it a try.
Thanks
hellbentondeals

Try whitening toothpaste. Worked for me on the pipes with trickles of … Try whitening toothpaste. Worked for me on the pipes with trickles of rust.

will this work on a chrome shower curtain rail? i have tried removing the rust with vinegar but no luck
penniesinmypocket

will this work on a chrome shower curtain rail? i have tried removing the … will this work on a chrome shower curtain rail? i have tried removing the rust with vinegar but no luck

No idea, sorry. It was stains of rust I managed to remove from painted pipes on the bathroom radiator, not actual rust. Worth a try though I suppose!
hellbentondeals

No idea, sorry. It was stains of rust I managed to remove from painted … No idea, sorry. It was stains of rust I managed to remove from painted pipes on the bathroom radiator, not actual rust. Worth a try though I suppose!

thanks for the reply. i will try and let u know!:-:-*
As a last resort you can get (at least in the Poundlands near me) radiator enamel paint (in white). Admittedly they are small tins but much cheaper than your local DIY store. Hope the earlier suggestions work for you
Edited by: "louiselouise" 28th Jun 2014
I tried the toothpaste, I put it straight out the tube onto the stain and left it for a good half hour, rubbed it quite vigorously and I think it has helped a little. I don't want to rub too hard incase the enamel gets damaged. Decided to leave it as it is for now as I can only see the stain in direct sunlight.
Thanks for your help everyone
Might be worth trying one of the JML magic eraser blocks. They sell them in most supermarkets, department stores. Never tried it on clothes dye but works wonders on kitchen stains that nothing else will budge (tea stains, marks on saucepans, crockery). Also for marks on walls as long as the paint is 'washable' kitchen / bathroom. Might be worth a try and if it doesn't work at least you can still use it on other things.
Costs about £3-£5 I think.
I tried the magic eraser and yes they are fantastic but didn't work on the radiator. Trouble is the stain has somehow bled into the paintwork, it's a very light brown stain and fortunately blends in with the room colour scheme. my husband thinks I'm being pinickety as it's only noticeable in certain light.
I recently highlighted my daughters hair using hydrogen peroxide and noticed how bleached the brown towel I used became so I thought maybe try hydrogen peroxide on a piece of cotton wool. any thoughts?
[quote=Toptrumpet]I tried the magic eraser and yes they are fantastic but didn't work on the radiator. Trouble is the stain has somehow bled into the paintwork, it's a very light brown stain and fortunately blends in with the room colour scheme. my husband thinks I'm being pinickety as it's only noticeable in certain light.]

Hmmm I know how annoying things like this are - once you spot it can't leave it lol!
Maybe try nail polish remover? (Or re-paint / replace - possibly a bit drastic!)
Hope you get it sorted :-)
It's a fairly new radiator and in great condition other than this stain on the far left hand side which covers four of the raised areas about 6" in length. The radiator itself is about 8' long by 4' deep and I really don't want to paint the radiator as the finish is never as good as the original paintwork. Still debating about the hydrogen peroxide, might try it on the back of the radiator first and see if it damages the paintwork. The radiator is in a rented property of mine so will probably try later on in the week when I go round to have the boiler serviced.
Thanks everyone for your suggestions.
I had the same problem! I ended up getting radiator enamel and re doing the whole thing

Sorry, commenting is no longer available on this discussion.

Top Discussions

Top Discussions

Top Merchants