Unfortunately, this discussion is no longer valid
Expired

How to remove drawer knob

Posted 27th Oct
I want to remove the drawer knob but it is glued in at the top bit as shown in the pic. It is screwed into the drawer as I have already removed the bottom one, which was not glued. The screw is in the drawer itself.

Any advice as to how I can remove this one as it is glued fast, but looks like only at the top bit, identified by the big yellow arrow. I have tried to turn it but it won't budge. I tried to scrape off the glue with a wall paper scraper but it didn't help.

I was thinking knock it gently with a hammer to break the glue seal at the top but I am concerned this may damage the screw on the drawer.

I was thinking maybe turn the knob with a wrench? I don't need the knob so that can be damaged.
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
Ok I’m going to try and get a handle on what you said. The first thing I would suggest is removing that big yellow arrow as I’m sure that will not be helping the situation!
Deeks will be here soon with some salient observation about a username and the word knob appearing in same post.
Blow torch it off is the only answer.
Congrats on 1116 body of text is getting poor though, standards have dropped in favour of output.
Edited by: "fearona" 27th Oct
tregs28/10/2019 18:32

Can you post a picture of the cut? There are remedies that can fix this.

Don't jump the gun. That's his next thread.
90 Comments
38797096-ugTI0.jpg
Ok I’m going to try and get a handle on what you said. The first thing I would suggest is removing that big yellow arrow as I’m sure that will not be helping the situation!
Blow torch it off is the only answer.
Congrats on 1116 body of text is getting poor though, standards have dropped in favour of output.
fearona27/10/2019 11:06

Blow torch it off is the only answer.Congrats on 1116 body of text is …Blow torch it off is the only answer.Congrats on 1116 body of text is getting poor though, standards have dropped in favour of output.

Remove the screw and try turning the knob with some grip fabric or go at the glue with a knife, chisel or saw.
Really need a multi tool and cut off without damaging the front of the draw...Then sand remainder of the glue off. Without a multi tool use a chisel or flat screwdriver and work around while giving it a smack. Should pop off
Edited by: "wayners" 27th Oct
If you are replacing the knob with something else of the same diameter then a bit of bruising to the wood underneath is not going to hurt it. I would then suggest a narrow screwdriver chiseled into the top where the glue is holding it with some plastic block to act as leverage and protection from damage as you pry.
Deeks will be here soon with some salient observation about a username and the word knob appearing in same post.
Painkiller27/10/2019 11:09

Remove the screw and try turning the knob with some grip fabric or go at …Remove the screw and try turning the knob with some grip fabric or go at the glue with a knife, chisel or saw.

the screw is not accessible so it is not one of those that can be removed. it is within the drawer wood itself, no idea how they manage to put it inside the wood! i have tried to have a go at the glue with a wall paper scraper and was thinking maybe a small screw driver, but i don't want to damage the drawer face.
cicobuff27/10/2019 11:09

If you are replacing the knob with something else of the same diameter …If you are replacing the knob with something else of the same diameter then a bit of bruising to the wood underneath is not going to hurt it. I would then suggest a narrow screwdriver chiseled into the top where the glue is holding it with some plastic block to act as leverage and protection from damage as you pry.

the knob is too big so i am replacing them with smaller knobs, so i need to be careful not to damage the drawer face by chiselling. the glue applied appear to be only a very small amount as indicated by the big yellow arrow, so may be knock that with a small screwdriver and hammer will do the trick with minimal damage.
Heat the area with a hairdryer & hope things expand and the adhesion weakens or the glue softens?
mutley127/10/2019 11:25

the knob is too big so i am replacing them with smaller knobs, so i need …the knob is too big so i am replacing them with smaller knobs, so i need to be careful not to damage the drawer face by chiselling. the glue applied appear to be only a very small amount as indicated by the big yellow arrow, so may be knock that with a small screwdriver and hammer will do the trick with minimal damage.

Have you by perchance tried heating it up with a hot air gun or decent powered hairdryer? See if that softens at the glue.
Painkiller27/10/2019 11:26

Heat the area with a hairdryer & hope things expand and the adhesion …Heat the area with a hairdryer & hope things expand and the adhesion weakens or the glue softens?

Ha! Great minds.
cicobuff27/10/2019 11:26

Have you by perchance tried heating it up with a hot air gun or decent …Have you by perchance tried heating it up with a hot air gun or decent powered hairdryer? See if that softens at the glue.

no. would this help do you think? i wouldn't have thought glue would be affected by a hairdryer? i will have a go as the heat may be enough to soften the glue.
Knock it off with a hammer
brendog127/10/2019 11:29

Knock it off with a hammer

i have already thought of that but it will bend the screw and i need to leave the screw intact for the new knob.
Disraeli27/10/2019 11:30

Comment deleted

the yellow arrow is to identify the small area of glue!
Can’t you remove the screw first ?
brendog127/10/2019 11:32

Can’t you remove the screw first ?

no, i think it is one of these screws that are screwed into the drawer so you don't get access to it until you remove the knob

38797534-lGRYk.jpg
mutley127/10/2019 11:25

the knob is too big so i am replacing them with smaller knobs, so i need …the knob is too big so i am replacing them with smaller knobs, so i need to be careful not to damage the drawer face by chiselling. the glue applied appear to be only a very small amount as indicated by the big yellow arrow, so may be knock that with a small screwdriver and hammer will do the trick with minimal damage.

The knob is too big said no one ever
mutley127/10/2019 11:35

no, i think it is one of these screws that are screwed into the drawer so …no, i think it is one of these screws that are screwed into the drawer so you don't get access to it until you remove the knob[Image]

That’s a shame as usually you can just unscrew the knob from the inside of the draw with a screwdriver. I would try gripping it with some grips and twisting it anti-clockwise.
Think a pair of grips and some brute force is likely the best option. Unusual for those screws to be used on handles. Are you sure?
Could also drill a hole through it, put a screwdriver through the hole and turn anti-clockwise
We’re going too deep into this. Just smash it off with a hammer then remove the screw. Use a new screw with the new knob with a washer if it’s needed
Diggsy27/10/2019 11:39

Think a pair of grips and some brute force is likely the best option. …Think a pair of grips and some brute force is likely the best option. Unusual for those screws to be used on handles. Are you sure?

you can not see the screw from the inside of the drawer and i have already removed one of the knob, as it was not glued so it turned easily. i think i will try the hairdryer idea first, then the grips but the grips will not be easy as the knobs are quite big for a pair to grips to take hold and i have to be careful the grip won't slip and cause scratch marks on the drawer face.
Possibly stuck on with PVA which is water soluble. Could try dripping water in and seeing it it responds to gentle taps with a wood or rubber mallet after anhour. Metal hammers are for engineers and nail fetishists.
mutley127/10/2019 11:44

you can not see the screw from the inside of the drawer and i have already …you can not see the screw from the inside of the drawer and i have already removed one of the knob, as it was not glued so it turned easily. i think i will try the hairdryer idea first, then the grips but the grips will not be easy as the knobs are quite big for a pair to grips to take hold and i have to be careful the grip won't slip and cause scratch marks on the drawer face.

An adjustable set of grips is what you need. They open up to a good couple of inches
ccnp27/10/2019 11:45

Possibly stuck on with PVA which is water soluble. Could try dripping …Possibly stuck on with PVA which is water soluble. Could try dripping water in and seeing it it responds to gentle taps with a wood or rubber mallet after anhour. Metal hammers are for engineers and nail fetishists.

i was wondering if water would help so wet it then use the hairdryer on it, this then helps with heating it. i was also wondering if any cleaning agent could soften the glue without damaging the wood varnish, may be furniture polish for example?
Edited by: "mutley1" 27th Oct
mutley127/10/2019 11:44

you can not see the screw from the inside of the drawer and i have already …you can not see the screw from the inside of the drawer and i have already removed one of the knob, as it was not glued so it turned easily. i think i will try the hairdryer idea first, then the grips but the grips will not be easy as the knobs are quite big for a pair to grips to take hold and i have to be careful the grip won't slip and cause scratch marks on the drawer face.

You are worried about scratching that lol It already has marks on it.
The screws for the knobs are behind the drawer fronts which are attached the drawer box. The drawer fronts will probably be attached using dowels and some wood glue, they easily knock out, or will be screwed to the front.

38797975-OCdJy.jpg
38797975-N2pns.jpg
never mind the knob, just cut off the drawer!
Cloth or tea towel over the knob, then clamp the knob with a pair of mole grips and try undoing it.
If you think the glue is an issue, can you get some fishing wire or cotton thread from the side/underneath and saw through it?
Good luck
Take a good grip in your hand and pull it off slowly... then it won't leave a smear on the wood panel.
Disappointing HUKD community have let Mutley down so far in his hour of need.
Wow. I'm sure you have probably done it by now but there are SO MANY ways you could remove that knob. Removing it without damaging the drawer front is the issue. So:

1) Do you have access to one of those "snap-off" craft knives? You know, the ones that you click the little doo-hickey along and break off the dull section? Remove the ENTIRE blade strip (as long a strip as you can get) so you now have a 'bare' blade. Be careful not to cut yourself! Now, grip the long blade at each end and slightly bend outwards so it curves a little. Then; using a 'sawing' motion; cut downwards behind the knob where the glue is suspected to be.

2) Saw it off! Just use a fine tooth saw (or even a hacksaw would work) and saw horizontally downwards through the knob - towards the drawer front. Don't saw directly down the centre of the knob as you'll probably hit the screw. Saw slightly off centre. Do this as many times as you like until you can break away the pieces of knob. You can use method number 1 to clean the remaining pieces of knob/glue afterwards.

Note: I think any method you employ to remove the knob is going to risk damage to the drawer front. It wouldn't matter if you were fitting a bigger knob but as you want smaller ones, it's going to be a problem!

Good luck & regards, Phsy.
Its most probably wood glue get a kettle of hot water pore btween put empty pot underneath it to catch water. It will loose it up.
Show us the inside of the drawer where the screw is.

Edit looks like one of those that need a hammer to bang it off
Edited by: "MR1123" 27th Oct
TheOldStagGamer27/10/2019 13:20

Cloth or tea towel over the knob, then clamp the knob with a pair of mole …Cloth or tea towel over the knob, then clamp the knob with a pair of mole grips and try undoing it.If you think the glue is an issue, can you get some fishing wire or cotton thread from the side/underneath and saw through it?Good luck

hadn't thought about using a cloth on the knob before gripping it with the wrench as i was thinking the wrench would find it hard to get a grip on the smooth knob. fishing wire idea sounds good as the gap is narrow so getting something into there was the difficult bit. i used a wall paper strip knife but now you have suggested a fishing wire, i am thinking i could use a stanley knife (very carefully!)
cecilmcroberts27/10/2019 12:05

The screws for the knobs are behind the drawer fronts which are attached …The screws for the knobs are behind the drawer fronts which are attached the drawer box. The drawer fronts will probably be attached using dowels and some wood glue, they easily knock out, or will be screwed to the front. [Image] [Image]

it is actually a very thick piece of wood and no drawer front. this is why the two sided screw was used as the drawer is so thick that there is enough room for the two sided screw to work. it is a very unusual drawer as it is made of very thick wood.
mutley127/10/2019 18:15

it is actually a very thick piece of wood and no drawer front. this is …it is actually a very thick piece of wood and no drawer front. this is why the two sided screw was used as the drawer is so thick that there is enough room for the two sided screw to work. it is a very unusual drawer as it is made of very thick wood.

Well your last comment said "I think" and now you apparently know for sure. Why dont you take a picture of it?
Post a comment
@
    Text

Discussions

Top Merchants