How to remove laptop drive from a metal cage?

Found 30th Dec 2009
Basically got a replacement dvd burner as old one died, the new one is the right type and size but has a metal cage/casing around it held in place by tiny screws and even my small screwdriver cant unscrew them.

Anyone have any advice?

1. Misc
  2. Laptop
Groups
  1. Misc
  2. Laptop
37 Comments

Buy a smaller set of screw drivers. Watch screw drivers are available from some jewelers.

Original Poster

strike;3900301

ryouga have you refunded tazandsaz yet.cut down on fatty foods and eat … ryouga have you refunded tazandsaz yet.cut down on fatty foods and eat nurtitional foods so you get stronger and unscrew simple screws

tazandsaz?

Original Poster

strike;3900331

tazandsaz, yes. You owe her 10 pounds

I do? when from? unless im forgetting something the only thing I sold recently is pc parts to cluffy and a game to textreme.

strike;3900331

tazandsaz, yes. You owe her 10 pounds

believe thats Roadie :?

Dip it in acid

Sounds odd for an optical drive to be in a cage, where did this one come from?

Are the screws a conventional shape or do they look like a star shape? You may need a Torx set of screwdrivers to remove the cage, this type of screw is frequently used on items that are not meant to be accessed by the end user.

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;3900447

Sounds odd for an optical drive to be in a cage, where did this one come … Sounds odd for an optical drive to be in a cage, where did this one come from?Are the screws a conventional shape or do they look like a star shape? You may need a Torx set of screwdrivers to remove the cage, this type of screw is frequently used on items that are not meant to be accessed by the end user.John

Just a regular cross shape one it was an oem drive but doing a google search it comes with many old Dell laptops and it came in a small Dell box.

It's similar to the tiny screws on bottom of my laptop if not a bit smaller

On a serious note ([email protected]) John makes an excellent point... I've only had harddrives in cases. You'll only tend to need to unscrew one screw then to disconnect a dvd drive from it's port.

Original Poster

Well maybe im confusing you, I dont mean the laptop itself has a metal cage as the old drive just pops out but the new one has a metal cage around ir and green tabs on each side but because of the cage it makes it too big to slot into my laptop, if I can get the cage off so I just have the drive then it would slot right in perfectly

Are you sure it's compactable with your laptop? If you can take it back don't open it just yet.

i had a problem with that when i changed my hard drive in my laptop, used small screwdrivers but it wont turn the screw.....i popped into b&q and bought myself some screwdrivers, stanley fat max, the cross screws are either pozidriv or philips and smallest size is 0. didn't know which one it was so bought both, and they will turn the small screws with ease. they were only 3 quid or so

the philips is the standard four point screwdriver while the pozidrive is similar to the philips but with four additional points and looks like a star

take a look here for the difference between the two
toolbank.com/c/B…t=1

I think you're talking about the metal 'shell' around the DVD drive itself. If so....STOP!

You've got the wrong drive for your laptop - get the right one by searching by laptop make & model. It'll cost you but it will at least work after you install it.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3900701

I think you're talking about the metal 'shell' around the DVD drive … I think you're talking about the metal 'shell' around the DVD drive itself. If so....STOP!You've got the wrong drive for your laptop - get the right one by searching by laptop make & model. It'll cost you but it will at least work after you install it.

Hmm dont know but dont think so as at the top of the drive has the normal metal and sticker with make and model and thats not the bit im trying to remove is that what you think I mean? there is another metal layer above it held on with 3 screws.

ryouga;3900469

Just a regular cross shape one it was an oem drive but doing a google … Just a regular cross shape one it was an oem drive but doing a google search it comes with many old Dell laptops and it came in a small Dell box.It's similar to the tiny screws on bottom of my laptop if not a bit smaller

Are you sure that's compatible with your laptop? It sounds like a C-series or D-series bay module such as this:
supplierlist.com/pho…jpg
Or this:

supplierlist.com/pho…jpg

If this is the case then it's not going to fit your laptop as it's not a standard drive, if it isn't one of these can you post a picture?

John

Original Poster

Johnmcl7;3901092

Are you sure that's compatible with your laptop? It sounds like a … Are you sure that's compatible with your laptop? It sounds like a C-series or D-series bay module such as this:http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/24347/DVD_Drive_for_DELL_C_Series.jpgOr this:http://www.supplierlist.com/photo_images/24348/DVD_Drive_for_DELL_D_Series.jpgIf this is the case then it's not going to fit your laptop as it's not a standard drive, if it isn't one of these can you post a picture?John

Will try, will ask guy in next room if he has 2 batteries I can borrow so I can use my camera

Original Poster

http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/kenohkaioh/100_2611.jpg
http://i246.photobucket.com/albums/gg103/kenohkaioh/100_2609.jpg

ok...it's some kind of bracket on the underside. Even if you remove this, how sure are you it's 100% compatible with your laptop?

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3901445

ok...it's some kind of bracket on the underside. Even if you remove this, … ok...it's some kind of bracket on the underside. Even if you remove this, how sure are you it's 100% compatible with your laptop?

I dont, I know its the same size as old one and has the same connection port its just the bracket that is stopping me from installing it.

ryouga;3901467

I dont, I know its the same size as old one and has the same connection … I dont, I know its the same size as old one and has the same connection port its just the bracket that is stopping me from installing it.

It could be the pinouts are different for example, meaning you could send a voltage down a data line and vice versa.

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3901514

It could be the pinouts are different for example, meaning you could send … It could be the pinouts are different for example, meaning you could send a voltage down a data line and vice versa.

I dont know, all I know is they look the same inc the pins/socket

what's the full make/model of your laptop?

[COLOR="Red"]Should be ok just get the right size screwdriver and make sure you turn it the right way DO NOT force with the wrong size driver cos if you damage the screw heads they ain't coming out.

[SIZE="4"]]specs here.[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3901609

what's the full make/model of your laptop?

Fujitsu Siemens Amilo pi 1505 I think theres 2 different codes under laptop

Ok, this looks like one of the drives from a small form factor desktop PC rather than a laptop but it should fit fine once you get the caddy off. I can't really see what other advice to give other than find a smaller screwdriver to be honest.

Using the part number on the chassis you should be able to work out which Dell it came from, you can then go onto their site to download the service manual which will show how to take the caddy off. However I suspect it's still going to be a case of finding a smaller screwdriver.

John

Found this on the drive itself:

videohelp.com/dvd…225

Looks to be present in a lot of Dell machines...

Original Poster

Ok cheers for the advice, Any on how to remove it? as the screws so small even a small screwdriver the same size cant get into the hole as there isnt one so its hard to turn.

just get a normal screwdriver, identify whether it is philips or pozidriv and get size 0, smallest you can get, the tip of it (that is all you need) shud fit in and turn it

Original Poster

mug51;3902159

just get a normal screwdriver, identify whether it is philips or pozidriv … just get a normal screwdriver, identify whether it is philips or pozidriv and get size 0, smallest you can get, the tip of it (that is all you need) shud fit in and turn it

Cheers, I know its def a phillips type as only has a cross and not the extra grooves. any idea of where to get one cheap?

Drill the heads off if you can't get a screw driver small enough.

£land sell a set of "Precision Screwdrivers" that's what they're called

bargain surfer;3902217

Drill the heads off if you can't get a screw driver small enough.£land … Drill the heads off if you can't get a screw driver small enough.£land sell a set of "Precision Screwdrivers" that's what they're called

then again looking at your history of "Luck" (or lack of) DO NOT DRILL THE HEADS OFF YOURSELF get someone else to do that for you. :-D:thumbsup:

bargain surfer;3902217

Drill the heads off if you can't get a screw driver small enough.£land … Drill the heads off if you can't get a screw driver small enough.£land sell a set of "Precision Screwdrivers" that's what they're called

^Exactly what I was gonna say. Get yourself down to Poundland Ryouga and get that set. There's quite a few in it too

Original Poster

Sorted it, used a stanley knife as it was flat and sharp enough to catch the grooves, but after all that looks like its an EIDE slot problem as im getting the same problems as old burner wont boot into windows when installed, though it did twice.

Oh well

ROFL you should see a witch doctor or spiritual healer, for some reason you have too much Anti-Luck! LOL

Does it appear in the BIOS setup at all? What about Safe Mode - any joy?

Original Poster

Xb0xGuru;3902979

Does it appear in the BIOS setup at all? What about Safe Mode - any joy?

Both the old and new one show up in bios when installed and when in safe mode it crashes when onto crcdisk which usually means a problem with a hard drive or dvd drive.

The drives both power up too, I tried reinstalling Vista from old drive and it crashed after the "windows is loading files" part so not sure.

This one also worked when it had a vista generic driver but when it was installing a driver for it after it said suceeded the pc died.

I posted a link before on this drive, purely to show that Dell owners have it in theirs. Read the full page and the concensus is to avoid this drive due to failures - in other words, it's altogether possible that the drive itself is faulty unless you've personally tested it on another machine and its working.

Whenever I get a problem with screw heads getting chewed(happened on a recent hard drive upgrade) sometimes even the correct screwdriver can damage the screw.

Nowadays I use a pair of needlenose pliers to start the screw(s) off, get a firm grip, pinch real hard and start those blighters off, plain sailing after that

Works on even badly chewed screws aswell.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Just heard this...2 ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★ congrats to all on 392k ★★★★★★★★★★★★★★7769249
    2. miikeyblue and shabbird's (but mostly shabbird's) Tuesday night pub quiz!564103
    3. I want to talk about the WEATHER no politics no religion19247571
    4. Misco about to go into administration910

See more discussions