How to remove the metal piece on the end of old Virgin Media cable (also how to remove all of the cable)?

I changed over to Sky several months ago now and am currently decorating my sitting room. When Virgin Media (cable) was installed over 8 years ago, a box was put on the wall outside my front door - a long piece of white cable was run through the wall and fixed around the door frame and wall in the hallway. The engineer then drilled a hole through my sitting room door frame to put the cable through before fixing it to a white box on the wall near my tv. I have managed to unscrew the cable from this white box but can't get the metal piece off the end of the white cable (it won't push through the hole in the door as it is too big) - I just can't seem to get it off, any ideas as to how to remove it so I can remove the white cable from the hole in the door? Also, once done, I'm going to have quite a few metres of this white cable (the lot from the sitting room and in the hallway) lying around on the floor in the hallway. Am I allowed to legally get rid of this, seeing it is attached to a box on the wall outside of the front door? What is the best way to do this - has anybody managed to unscrew the cable from the box on the wall outside - will I need any special tools to do this? Is this cable 'live' still, even though it has been unscrewed from the box in the sitting room (just worried if somebody suggest cutting through it)? Thank you.

11 Comments

it's just an fplug so should unscrew using pliers, or a decent pair of cutters and snip it off

It's a compressed F Connector so won't unscrew so
Cut it off mate no big deal, no current running thru the cable
Edited by: "fisco2001" 12th Feb

Original Poster

fisco2001

It's a compressed F Connector so won't unscrew so Cut it off mate no big … It's a compressed F Connector so won't unscrew so Cut it off mate no big deal, no current running thru the cable

If I cut the cable off back to the bit that comes through the wall near the front door, would that be the best thing to do? There is a brown box on the wall outside near the front door that the cable comes from - is it best to leave the box as that was installed by Virgin Media? I'm quite happy with Sky at the moment, but in the future if I decide to return to Virgin Media, if I cut the cable back to the front door (and leave the box on the wall outside of the house), do you think I could get into trouble with VM for cutting back and removing the white cable (and removing the box on the wall that was near my tv set)? Thank you for advice.

Unscrew the cable that goes into your house from the box outside, cut the both ends off that cable and you can now remove the cable that goes inside your house. Put the cover back on the Virgin Media box on outside of house and it's there for future Virgin Media use.

Original Poster

Thank you for all your advice, much appreciated.

put some silicone or similar through all the holes to the outside wall

Original Poster

HamanBasher

put some silicone or similar through all the holes to the outside wall

Thank you for that tip.

The cable that goes into you house will unscrew at the joint inside the external brown box although likely to be very tight. If you cannot unscrew it at that joint the second best option is to cut the cable before it leaves the box to go into your house (it does not carry any "live" voltage in mains terms). Do not damage nor alter the feed cable that is likely coloured black. Once the cable that goes into your house is unscrewed / cut, you can pull & remove it entirely from within your house, or just leave section(s) that run through walls to save having to plug / fill the hole(s). None of these specific suggestions should impact on any subsequent VM reinstatement/installation.

Sophiasky

If I cut the cable off back to the bit that comes through the wall near … If I cut the cable off back to the bit that comes through the wall near the front door, would that be the best thing to do? There is a brown box on the wall outside near the front door that the cable comes from - is it best to leave the box as that was installed by Virgin Media? I'm quite happy with Sky at the moment, but in the future if I decide to return to Virgin Media, if I cut the cable back to the front door (and leave the box on the wall outside of the house), do you think I could get into trouble with VM for cutting back and removing the white cable (and removing the box on the wall that was near my tv set)? Thank you for advice.

You wont get in trouble but expect to pay a fresh installation charge.

Sophiasky

If I cut the cable off back to the bit that comes through the wall near … If I cut the cable off back to the bit that comes through the wall near the front door, would that be the best thing to do? There is a brown box on the wall outside near the front door that the cable comes from - is it best to leave the box as that was installed by Virgin Media? I'm quite happy with Sky at the moment, but in the future if I decide to return to Virgin Media, if I cut the cable back to the front door (and leave the box on the wall outside of the house), do you think I could get into trouble with VM for cutting back and removing the white cable (and removing the box on the wall that was near my tv set)? Thank you for advice.

I've been to properties before like this
If just cut everything back to the brown box that be fine if you go back to VM they re run it from the brown box

Original Poster

Thank you for all of your advice, much appreciated.
Post a comment
@
    Text
    Top Discussions
    1. Any Just Eat Vouchers around?22
    2. Any better deals after year's Sky subscription is nearly up?22
    3. sky q is it a good deal?55
    4. Speccing a gaming pc37

See more discussions