How to repair damaged laquer on a car.

Found 9th Jul 2015
Somebody has kindly scraped down the rear wheel arch of my car, although the paintwork is OK the laquer has been damaged. Can anybody point me to a "how to" guide for repairing/respraying with laquer to make it half decent.

1. Ask
  2. Car
Groups
  1. Ask
  2. Car
12 Comments

I also have this issue!

Original Poster

http://i1121.photobucket.com/albums/l507/krammers/Mobile%20Uploads/IMG_20150709_161844.jpg

Must be the week for it as someone has done it to my car the other day-again!!
My car is blue and the scratch shows up a mile away! Well maybe not a mile

I bumped a gate post and it rubbed green paint on to my car (silver car) in a panic i scrubbed it with scourer and dettol spray. Worked aswel, no 1 nos!

Original Poster

madsyork

I bumped a gate post and it rubbed green paint on to my car (silver car) … I bumped a gate post and it rubbed green paint on to my car (silver car) in a panic i scrubbed it with scourer and dettol spray. Worked aswel, no 1 nos!

Lol, I admire your panicked situation, but think I will go for the laquer. Thanks for your reply.

T-Cut? or try re-spraying some lacquer on, masking tape over areas you don't want overspray. You can get lacquer at Halfords in a spray can.

Original Poster

Spikeywikey

T-Cut? or try re-spraying some lacquer on, masking tape over areas you … T-Cut? or try re-spraying some lacquer on, masking tape over areas you don't want overspray. You can get lacquer at Halfords in a spray can.

Thanks sw, if you do get over spray can you use very fine wet and dry to blend in?

That looks like a ford?

Original Poster

elliott1982

That looks like a ford?

Citroen Picasso.

I haven't been into cars for a while now so not sure what has changed however......

I would start off with buying a tube of the 'scratch removers' you can find anywhere. Nowadays they are relatively cheap and come with a microfiber cloth. This will eliminate some of the surface lacquer scratches and reveal the deeper stuff. Usually you have a bout 6 layers of lacquer or so before you hit the paint so that's why a lot of the removers work because you are essentially removing some of the lacquer.

I wouldn't use a spray can of lacquer as you WILL see it and if you do it outside it will catch dust particles and look messy. Trust me ive been there. Besides trying to address a small area with a spray can which has a large spray area will be difficult and trying to reduce this by going in closer will create runs.

As I mentioned, start of with a scratch remover and you might find it significantly reduces it from what it was. You might want to weigh up the option of leaving the small scratch compared to the DIY risk and then finally a cost of a professional repair.

I handed back my company car last year (12 plate Audi) and it had marks and scratches everywhere which were not on the original sheet. Out came the remover and I got rid of 90% of the marks as I was rubbing down the lacquer. The other % was wear and tear/stone chips.

HTH

Original Poster

nomez

I haven't been into cars for a while now so not sure what has changed … I haven't been into cars for a while now so not sure what has changed however......I would start off with buying a tube of the 'scratch removers' you can find anywhere. Nowadays they are relatively cheap and come with a microfiber cloth. This will eliminate some of the surface lacquer scratches and reveal the deeper stuff. Usually you have a bout 6 layers of lacquer or so before you hit the paint so that's why a lot of the removers work because you are essentially removing some of the lacquer.I wouldn't use a spray can of lacquer as you WILL see it and if you do it outside it will catch dust particles and look messy. Trust me ive been there. Besides trying to address a small area with a spray can which has a large spray area will be difficult and trying to reduce this by going in closer will create runs.As I mentioned, start of with a scratch remover and you might find it significantly reduces it from what it was. You might want to weigh up the option of leaving the small scratch compared to the DIY risk and then finally a cost of a professional repair. I handed back my company car last year (12 plate Audi) and it had marks and scratches everywhere which were not on the original sheet. Out came the remover and I got rid of 90% of the marks as I was rubbing down the lacquer. The other % was wear and tear/stone chips.HTH

That's great advice, thanks for the reply. So if I use the scratch remover do I just leave it with no top coat? Maybe just apply polish over it? Will investigate further over the weekend.

No problem. From what it looks like the scratch remover will remove the left and right horizontal lines and the vertical line. I bet you will be left with the two blobs adjacent to one another with the left looks like it is primer and the right being some plastic (assuming its the bumper).

I reckon you'll be fine with just those two left as it however you can get lacquer in the form of a nail polish type application if you want to be doubly sure. I would treat it just like a stone chip. (stone chip touch ups are nasty).

With being in a remote spot, UV degradation wont really happen but in the winter with it being next to the wheel I would be weary of the salt content eating away at the paint work.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants