How to report a driver who leaves his diesel engine running for ages?

Found 7th Jan
I have the terrible misfortune of living in a dodgy neighbourhood in an unspecified city in the West Midlands. You know, I'm poor! There is a guy who has been parking his old diesel car just in front of my window, running his diesel engine for ages. We are talking of 45-60 minutes each time. He repeats this thing about 4 to 6 times a day. So at one point I confronted him and I told him that he was gassing me and I couldn't breath. He was very apologetic and switched the engine off. Then he started doing it again. I told him off again and now he's still doing it but about 5-10 yards away. The exhausts are still gassing me and it is clear he won't stop doing it any soon.

I know it is technically a traffic offence to leave the engine running unnecessarily, what how to enforce it? This an area where the police and traffic wardens are rarely seen. Who should I contact? The Council? The Police? I'm literally being slowly murdered. HELP!
Community Updates
Ask
Top comments
You say you live in a 'dodgy area'? If he leaves it running it must have the keys in......

Go on a pub crawl and complain loudly on each pub about this guy leaving his car running with the keys in.

Just an idea!
19 Comments
I would initially complain to the police via 101 or their online chat as there may be other offences they may be guilty of. You will need evidence. I would suggest installing a basic cctv system on your house. There are some good kits available on places like amazon.

With evidence of repeated behaviour you may have a chance at getting something done. Is he leaving he engine running whilst in the vehicle or is he leaving the vehicle?
Edited by: "cmdr_elito" 7th Jan
Is he doing it to annoy you?
SteMoss5 m ago

Sounds like it's working!
Considering you've said he was appolagetic and has moved the vehicle away I wouldn't then want to go straight to the police and fall out with him.
If you have a decent relationship why not ask why he is running the car for as you say 45-60 minutes? That would be the first thing that enters my head.
If that is the case then the only true way to stop it is to grab him against the wall and tell him if he does that again you’ll smash his face in 🤭🤭🤭.
A early hours of the morning brick through the front windscreen works well.
I always wonder why people feel the need to run there engine for half an hour before they drive off, I have a neighbor who does this.
does it not cost money to leave the engine running for so long as well as damage the car? it may be that his car is faulty and so he has to leave it on this long to get it to warm up and work

environmental agency is your best bet, call your council and ask who you should speak to as it is a polution issue rather than traffic or crime.
You say you live in a 'dodgy area'? If he leaves it running it must have the keys in......

Go on a pub crawl and complain loudly on each pub about this guy leaving his car running with the keys in.

Just an idea!
I agree with Midurix if he has been apologetic then why don't you ask him before approaching the police as why he is running his vehicle that long . Tell him to have it checked out at a garage . Or say by running that long his wasting fuel
Well most car insurance companies won't cover theft if the keys are in it.
If it's a dodgy area it's only a matter of time before it gets taken for a joyride.
mutley128 m ago

does it not cost money to leave the engine running for so long as well as …does it not cost money to leave the engine running for so long as well as damage the car? it may be that his car is faulty and so he has to leave it on this long to get it to warm up and work environmental agency is your best bet, call your council and ask who you should speak to as it is a polution issue rather than traffic or crime.

Sorry Mutley it is a crime. It's called 'quitting''. Details here..
Quitting

And here
Edited by: "mrty" 7th Jan
Original Poster
cmdr_elito7 h, 59 m ago

I would initially complain to the police via 101 or their online chat as …I would initially complain to the police via 101 or their online chat as there may be other offences they may be guilty of. You will need evidence. I would suggest installing a basic cctv system on your house. There are some good kits available on places like amazon. With evidence of repeated behaviour you may have a chance at getting something done. Is he leaving he engine running whilst in the vehicle or is he leaving the vehicle?

My landlord has CCTV installed and he's right behind the camera, however from the images I think it won't be easy to prove he has the engine running. It's not that the car is smokey.

And yes, he stays is the car sometimes playing gansgta hip hop music for ages, sometimes loud, sometimes he just stays in the car for ages without doing nothing. He looks like a weirdo.
Original Poster
SteMoss7 h, 49 m ago

No, I don't think so. He's just a weirdo.
Original Poster
mutley16 h, 48 m ago

does it not cost money to leave the engine running for so long as well as …does it not cost money to leave the engine running for so long as well as damage the car? it may be that his car is faulty and so he has to leave it on this long to get it to warm up and work environmental agency is your best bet, call your council and ask who you should speak to as it is a polution issue rather than traffic or crime.

As long as I know he doesn't work. He's probably on benefits or has money of his own. The former most likely.
Put some fruit up his exhaust pipe (that's not a euphemism).

To make it smoke, squirt some oil up his pipe (that is a euphemism).
Rolled up newspaper
gorgo20151 h, 13 m ago

As long as I know he doesn't work. He's probably on benefits or has money …As long as I know he doesn't work. He's probably on benefits or has money of his own. The former most likely.

he sounds mentally ill to me, or high on drugs most of the time. from one of the comment above, it seems that this is an offence that can be reported to the police so you can do so.
Have you tried explaining to him that diesel is expensive.
Post a comment
@
    Text

Top Discussions

Top Merchants